May 27, 2020, 10:54 PM
no catchy phrase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
Although this ain't a 160th MH-47, this is me in my prior life with the 101st about to get on a CH-47D for a nice relaxing flight in Afghanistan...

As an aside, I've flown on so many missions into combat on a CH-47, I wouldn't mind getting an RC version just for memories sake...
I've been on 46, 47 and 53, was the second most fun part of my job was hitching a ride, sure do miss them. I would be very tempted to buy a 53 if one came out. I have tried, I guess I would call them micro helis and wasn't very good with it, but all I did was try and chase the dog around the house !lol
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2020, 11:08 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanenoob78 View Post
I've been on 46, 47 and 53, was the second most fun part of my job was hitching a ride, sure do miss them. I would be very tempted to buy a 53 if one came out. I have tried, I guess I would call them micro helis and wasn't very good with it, but all I did was try and chase the dog around the house !lol
Oh my gosh! You've flown on quite a few helis, that's for sure !

I've only ever been on Army birds...UH-60's, CH-47's. Oh, and of course the Air Force taxis; C-141 Starlifters (that was in Bosnia), C-130's, C-17's...
May 27, 2020, 11:22 PM
no catchy phrase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Oh my gosh! You've flown on quite a few helis, that's for sure !

I've only ever been on Army birds...UH-60's, CH-47's. Oh, and of course the Air Force taxis; C-141 Starlifters (that was in Bosnia), C-130's, C-17's...
I never got to ride on a Black Hawk, but I have been on a Little Bird and was told they are almost as much fun as a Black Hawk! Never been on a Huey either. Other fun things I hitched a ride on was C-130, C-5 and an Osprey...............but I never had to jump out of anything I ever flew on! LOL
May 28, 2020, 12:46 PM
B. Redeker - Portfolio Manager
That is awesome rcplanenoob78! I flew on an Army National Guard UH-1 when I was in Civil Air Patrol and missed out on a chance to fly on the USCG Jayhawk. We used to get rides all the time on AFRES C-130's as they used the local airport for touch-and-go practice. Flew in one across Lake Michigan with the rear hatch open. Fun times! All of that stuff is gone now so we almost never see any military hardware anymore. On occasion, we get a Blackhawk that does touch-and-goes at the local airport where we fly RC planes at. We go into a ground stop and get to enjoy a little airshow.

I would love to get into flying RC helicopters, but I remember when I tried once on a counter-rotating beginner helicopter and spent more money on blades than on the helicopter. Gave up and moved to planes. So much happier! Saw a video the other day of a RC UH-1 giving cover to a RC Army river boat. All it needed was CCR playing and it would have looked like a movie. Really impressive clip! Might have been the models Motion sells, but not sure.
May 28, 2020, 01:07 PM
DFS#000178
I've been thinking about trying helicopters again now that FBL systems make them fly pretty much like quadcopters. Takes all the scariness out of it. I have a little Blade mCP-X that I flew around for a while until I got bored with it. I was expecting it to be difficult but the biggest learning curve was in controlling the blade pitch instead of the throttle. Other than that it was easy.
May 28, 2020, 01:25 PM
I crash quads as well as helicopters. Even in the simulator! My brain seems opposed to flying things with the rotors pointing the wrong way. I wanted the V-22 Osprey, but tried out the Convergence in RF9 to see how well I would do at it. Not good. Had some buddies try the sim and flew it just fine. Clearly operator error.
May 28, 2020, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350 View Post
I would love to get into flying RC helicopters, but I remember when I tried once on a counter-rotating beginner helicopter and spent more money on blades than on the helicopter. Gave up and moved to planes. So much happier! Saw a video the other day of a RC UH-1 giving cover to a RC Army river boat. All it needed was CCR playing and it would have looked like a movie. Really impressive clip! Might have been the models Motion sells, but not sure.
I’ve done that a few times with my 450 and 500 size Hueys. Tons of fun flying alongside the boat!
May 28, 2020, 02:49 PM
That has to be what I saw! The UH-1 had the Navy markings on it.
May 28, 2020, 03:50 PM
no catchy phrase
Quote:
That has to be what I saw! The UH-1 had the Navy markings on it.
That’s false advertising! Navy/Marines UH-1s has dual exhausts. That one there is Army!
May 28, 2020, 03:52 PM
no catchy phrase
Quote:
That is awesome rcplanenoob78! I flew on an Army National Guard UH-1 when I was in Civil Air Patrol and missed out on a chance to fly on the USCG Jayhawk. We used to get rides all the time on AFRES C-130's as they used the local airport for touch-and-go practice. Flew in one across Lake Michigan with the rear hatch open. Fun times! All of that stuff is gone now so we almost never see any military hardware anymore. On occasion, we get a Blackhawk that does touch-and-goes at the local airport where we fly RC planes at. We go into a ground stop and get to enjoy a little airshow.

Sounds like you had fun as well!
May 28, 2020, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanenoob78 View Post
That’s false advertising! Navy/Marines UH-1s has dual exhausts. That one there is Army!
Nope! . For the most part, that is true post-Vietnam. However, the NAVY HAL-3 Seawolves operated the single engine UH-1Bs and Cs in Vietnam as air support for the PBRs and the SEALs. Very decorated unit, I highly recommend reading up on their history. My UH-1B in the last few photos is modeled after their aircraft.
May 28, 2020, 04:28 PM
They call me Lipo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
I’ve done that a few times with my 450 and 500 size Hueys. Tons of fun flying alongside the boat!
That is WAY TOO COOL my friend !!!

AND, that's gotta be hard to do as well...very good flying and boating going on there !

May 28, 2020, 04:55 PM
no catchy phrase
Quote:
Nope! . For the most part, that is true post-Vietnam. However, the NAVY HAL-3 Seawolves operated the single engine UH-1Bs and Cs in Vietnam as air support for the PBRs and the SEALs. Very decorated unit, I highly recommend reading up on their history. My UH-1B in the last few photos is modeled after their aircraft.
Well that’s interesting, I never knew the Navy operated those models, in Vietnam, I didn’t think it was after the Navy/marines even started flying the UH1’s. Learn something everyday on here! Thanks Delta!
May 28, 2020, 06:56 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Dang, that’s cool. Nice tip of the hat to all you guys who served, too.
Jun 02, 2020, 12:59 AM
Maybe a bit late to the game (HHWarbirds for 2020) but, I think I would vote foe reasonable sized C54 with 4 of their park 180's or 250's for power. Berlin Air lift made this bird into a real warbird star. Even was a bomber, well they did drop candy to parachute to the kids in Berlin. Interesting story how Herseys Chocolate got into the act by donating lots of candy bars to be dropped.
Yup, a C54, but if that's a no go, how about a nice sized C46 Curtiss Commando?
Cheers
Dave

Quick Reply