Oct 22, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Engel Akula II build advice

Just ordered an Akula II kit from Engel.

https://engel-modellbau.eu/shop/en/S...Kits/AKULA-II/

I have never assembled a sub kit. I have built 30+ 3D model airplane kits mostly from foam but a few wood scratch kits.

I am moderate build skill level. From 3D flying I know servo adjustments assigning channels etc.

Engel claims 20 - 30 hours to build. Does this sound reasonable?

I have a quote from Bob at Nautilus to build but that would take until next spring.

I'm tempted to try myself - Advice?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2019, 03:08 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Even with moderate build skill, unless you have had exposure to model submarines-I suggest that Bob's your Uncle-It would be done right, trimmed and tested when he's done. It might take until next spring anyway for you to work all the bugs out without sub savvy. He's seen it all...
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Oct 22, 2019, 03:10 PM
The build time sound right.
I know of builders who took far much less time but their understanding of German helped a lot.

There are a couple of tricks to know.
When pulling the power wires the instructions say to pull both red through 1 tube and both black through another tube.
Yea....I did that and I have to use a string to do that.
Then one of those builders said to put both red in one tube and both black in the other.
Why, the wires are not the same size and the two large wires are too tight in the tube.
But 1 large and 1 smaller wire slide through by just pushing by hand.

When I ghot to the start up, I didn't know how the electronics was done.
There was a button that needed to be pushed that I missed and I could not get set up correct.
Again one of those bilders pointed it out and within seconds the setup was done.

I have a build log.
http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/Akula/Akula-log.html
Be sure to read all the way though before using any information. I put even the mistakes in my log so you have to get past that to read the fix/correct assembly.

The Akula II is a good boat and runs very well.
I think it could use a better turning radios. Tighter circle but once you learn it, you can make it do what you want.

This boat is the one that has me changing some of my other boats to piston ballast system.
Got the same piston in my skipjack and it will run for hours at periscope depth with little input from me.
I usually put to much on it and this causes me to have control problems.
Very small conrtol input is some times too much.

Do yu best to not change from the instruction. Engel's did a good job in trimming this boat sd built.
Oct 24, 2019, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Hi thanks for the great feedback! Kit will be delivered Tuesday. I will check it out and make final decision on whether to try it myself or ship to Bob.
Oct 25, 2019, 07:55 AM
While I do not want or intend to take any income away from Bob, building it yourself will give you a great grasp of how to troubleshoot issues. If you want a turnkey sub, then Bob is a great person to go with.
Enjoy your sub and congratulations, that is a great looking and running submarine.
Oct 28, 2019, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
Model arrived today. Wow! the fitment of the lock ring is perfect as is the rest of the hull. Going to Bob for assembly.

I'll learn on another kit this one is too nice to be put together by a novice.

Quick Reply