Oct 22, 2019, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Wing considering different approach to servo mounting

Ok i'm retiring the big wing temporarily taking out the servos to put into a recently finished wing slightly shorter wing for testing. (black) as i had extra 2mm black correx to spare

Any opinions as to how to internally mount the servos.
I was thinking the bottom skin removal approach however there is nothing solid to mount the servos to but the skins.

Mounting it externally from the top allowed for the top skin acting as a solid "bracket" so to speak keeping the servos firm and aligned, but the internal approach do not offer that.

Or Perhaps i should stick to external mounting ? the wing will be pushed to some limits so servos need a firm bond to the wing.
Last edited by Axefly; Oct 23, 2019 at 03:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2019, 01:04 AM
This is how I do mine. Ignore the 3D printed holder - that this a recent 'nice to have'; previously I have just fixed the servos in with glue or cable ties.

The advantage of this method is that the servo stays buried in the wing, but can still be accessed if it needs to be replaced or you want to change the position of the servo arm (the little flap that the servo is mounted to is just taped to hold it closed)

The disadvantage is that you need to plan to do this before you glue the wing closed as the flap hinges on the outside skin...which means you need to cut the hinge slit on the inside skin. Hope that makes sense.
Oct 23, 2019, 03:34 AM
Thread OP
That looks neat ES, very clean. Nice brackets too...

Since my wing is already built, perhaps i should just cut out the areas required and replace it with doubler correx skin on the inside just like with your pictures as well and then just tape it in place.

I also thought about actually gluing the bottom skin where the servo is glued onto permanently to the doublers on the bottom (inside)
and just create an access hole or "cut out" near the servo horn so i can put a screwdriver in at an angle inclined enough to reach the screw if adjustments is needed, and then just fiber tape closed the access hole as adjustments will maybe just be needed a few times during its lifetime.

Then If you look at the left side of the wing as per my pic, you will also see the top of the skin (over the spar) near the tip area looks a bit "sharpish" its because i had to extend a carbon tube on each side to get to 1.5 meters by using cane wood material stripped to size. (i knew i should have rather used something else but its done now)

I have checked and rechecked for it to be equal both sides beforehand and it looked perfect, but the end result proved that the one side is slightly higher in that area than the other, when bonding the correx halves together its not much, but enough to create a sharpish little bump and a more trianglelish LE at that specific area, i know the wing should fly fine, as i have done repairs on LE's of correx before and repairs on correx LE's is simply never perfect.

i'm just a bit concerned anyway... why i dont know....I thought about cutting the top skin off in that area and sanding the slightly bulged area down, but i think that approach would do more harm than good when "stiching" things back together.... aaa the joys of correx... once its built you have to forget about the impurities i guess. hope the "effect" would not be noticeable.
Oct 30, 2019, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports
The advantage of this method is that the servo stays buried in the wing, but can still be accessed if it needs to be replaced or you want to change the position of the servo arm (the little flap that the servo is mounted to is just taped to hold it closed).
This is very nice, but how do you keep this "servo window" close when you fly it? Did you use magnets?
Oct 31, 2019, 12:31 PM
Tape or a little dot of hot glue. Or arrange the trim scheme so that the vinyl trim does the job as a bonus

As pointed out, the hinging is a nice to have. It will work just as well if the 'servo window' is a complete cut-out that rests on doublers on all four sides of the hole, and is then just taped in place.
Nov 07, 2019, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
Maidened my new black wing this past Sunday.
What a great flyer she is.

I just love the size, not a big 2 meter monster and not something under 1 meter, perfect as the every now and then bigger wing flying for the park where i fly and that solid feel in the air.

The servos inside underneath works great, i just taped it in tightly with fiber tape and glued the servos in, they are solid ! From now on i'm probably always going to mount the servos like that.

Can't wait for the weekend to come again !
Nov 29, 2019, 02:24 AM
Thread OP
Another 9 flights done and dusted since the maiden ! Sweeeeeet ! ! !

Quick Reply