Having Fun Printing My Own Thrust Vectoring System

3D printing can be used in so many ways. Check out these 3D printed thrust vectoring paddles.

Splash

3D Printed Thrust Vectoring

Just messing around with my 3D printer. Having a little fun. I designed this for a Freewing Mirage that I just bought. It will be articulated by 4, 7g 27oz/in servos. It can redirect thrust and also vary the outlet diameter. May even provide some airbrake effect when all four paddles are open all the way. My first try was too heavy. The set with no bolts was 42.8g. With metal bolts and locknuts, it was 51.6g. Add 28g for the four servos and it would have been 79.6g. Too much to add to the tail. Second try came out at 35.3g and I will use nylon bolts and nuts this time. The new set should weigh 67.3g. That's almost the same as taking 2 servos out of the system.

Kip Jackson

Oct 21, 2019, 08:17 AM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Thread OP
My inspiration.

KJ
Oct 21, 2019, 12:02 PM
I'm interested in how you plan to control the three functions at the transmitter - up/down, left/right and variable exit diameter.
Thanks for a great brain teaser!
Oct 22, 2019, 01:45 AM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
I'm interested in how you plan to control the three functions at the transmitter - up/down, left/right and variable exit diameter.
Thanks for a great brain teaser!
Shouldn't be too hard with my Futaba 18MZ. I'm going turn on and off the TV with aperture extremes. I'll use the offset feature in the mixing to set the optimum aperture for hovering. That's my goal. The Freewing Mirage is said to have a flying weight of 2,200g. I'm running the Schubeler 80mm on 6s with 4,000g of thrust. I don't expect the variable aperture to make a huge or even noticeable difference but I could be wrong. I expect the TV to be effective though I could be wrong as well. We'll see. I plan to make a test set up very soon. The cool thing about this project is that static thrust measurements will be useful since the goal is to optimize thrust at zero airspeed.

Kip
Oct 22, 2019, 04:19 AM
jofro
I like to see the 4 kilo thrust of your 80mm/6S set up. Keep on dreaming.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:49 AM
Mike
Very Interesting! I'm curious if you have files you can share. I have a 3D printer and would love to tinker with this as well.
Oct 22, 2019, 07:28 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
I like to see the 4 kilo thrust of your 80mm/6S set up. Keep on dreaming.
That's what Schubeler claims. A friend has this set up and appears to do just that.

From Schubeler:
"Schubeler performance charts coming soon

Preliminary (bench test) data from Schubeler:

HET 700-68-2250KV - 6S - 125A - 4kg of thrust
HET 700-68-2100KV - 6S - 100A - 3.3kg of thrust (also possible with 7S - 4.2kg of thrust)"
Oct 23, 2019, 03:29 AM
jofro
There's a difference between claims and reality, keep on dreaming.
Also, you would need lot better servos on those paddles than 4.7g. ones.
Looking forward to your progress.
Oct 24, 2019, 12:40 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Very cool little project . I would use the 4 vane TV with 8-9g servos just because it will be easier to mix but the 5 vane would look pretty awesome in action once you have everything setup.

Good luck

Would love to see a variable pitch EDF impeller
Oct 24, 2019, 05:06 PM
jofro
I would like to get my hands on variety of different pitch impellers for EDF jets in any size.
Oct 24, 2019, 06:24 PM
Quote:
I would like to get my hands on variety of different pitch impellers for EDF jets in any size.
I'm afraid you're the one who is dreaming now. Increasing or decreasing rotor blade count is an easier way to match thrust (static/dynamic) to airframe.
Oct 24, 2019, 06:37 PM
Would love to see a variable pitch EDF impeller[/QUOTE]

A variable pitch rotor blade mechanism spinning at 27000 rpm? Wouldn't hold together for very long, the centrifugal forces are huge
Oct 24, 2019, 09:08 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Thread OP
Quote:
There's a difference between claims and reality, keep on dreaming.
Also, you would need lot better servos on those paddles than 4.7g. ones.
Looking forward to your progress.
Not 4.7. 4 each @7g. 27 oz/in of torque each. 104 oz/in total.
Oct 24, 2019, 09:10 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
Would love to see a variable pitch EDF impeller
A variable pitch rotor blade mechanism spinning at 27000 rpm? Wouldn't hold together for very long, the centrifugal forces are huge[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.
Oct 25, 2019, 12:10 AM
Will love to see a 3D model of a working variable CD nozzle, that will be so cool.

Quick Reply