Oct 20, 2019, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

E-Flite's Valiant

Looking to buy my first RC plane … and initially was looking at E-Flite's Apprentice. Then I saw a video on their Valiant - which costs less.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Valiant and/or can you compare it to the Apprentice.

Thanks for any input.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 08:14 PM
Tons of info about the Valiant here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Basic/page359
Oct 20, 2019, 10:20 PM
Hi,

The Apprentice is an excellent trainer that flies like a trainer. The Valiant is easy to fly, but is a highly capable sport aerobatic airplane. You might be able to learn how to fly with help on the Valiant, but the Apprentice is a better choice for your first airplane.

That said, the Valiant would make an excellent second airplane. It’s one of the best ever in it’s class.

Good luck!
Oct 21, 2019, 04:54 AM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi,

The Apprentice is an excellent trainer that flies like a trainer. The Valiant is easy to fly, but is a highly capable sport aerobatic airplane. You might be able to learn how to fly with help on the Valiant, but the Apprentice is a better choice for your first airplane.

That said, the Valiant would make an excellent second airplane. It’s one of the best ever in it’s class.

Good luck!

Agree!
The Apprentice gives you three modes Beginner (with Self leveling, bank limits and Panic mode), Intermediate (with bank limits and Panic mode) and Experienced AS3X (with no limits and Panic mode).
The Valiant with Safe Select has just two modes Safe on (bank limits somewhere between Beginner and Intermediate and Self level) and AS3X (no limits).
If you are new to the hobby the Apprentice or Mini Apprentice is your best bet. Once you can take off and land in Experienced mode you will be ready for your next plane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oct 21, 2019, 06:02 AM
So many planes, so little time
I will throw in a vote for the Hobbyzone AeroScout. I've seen this plane in action, and although slightly smaller than the Apprentice, it's just as capable. Definitely check this out before pulling the trigger on any other trainer:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/aerosco...1m-rtf-hbz3800

Oct 21, 2019, 09:27 AM
If you're OK with "UGLY", the AeroScout would be a good choice.
Does handle wind a little better than the Apprentice.
Oct 21, 2019, 05:16 PM
Why not think of a Timber?...

On 3S they are docile high wing planes with a trainer like feel.

They have SAFE for learning.

They are also complete planes that offer you the ability to use and learn things like Flaps or evening flight with lighting. Are also STOL capable.

On 4S (X/Turbo) they are powerhouses that have acrobatic ability, speed (turbo) or 3D ability (x).

Its a true bird of all classes!
Oct 21, 2019, 10:08 PM
Thread OP

Trainer ...

Thanks for all the replies.

Question - what makes a plane a "good" trainer over another plane?

I can understand why one might be better than a pure stunt plane - you might be doing rolls when you don't want to.

But looking at options - might change my mind - of aircraft with the SAFE technology.

Is it the aerodynamics?

Thanks
Mike
Oct 21, 2019, 10:25 PM
Almost all Horizon planes have the SAFE feature now.

Trainers are usually more docile & most beginners prefer trike landing gear (much easier to keep straight on both take offs & landings).
I've trained beginners using the Apprentice & I have the Timber X (have flown the standard Timber to)
A guy that flies where I go at times, has the AeroScout, which is also a good trainer with trike gear, but the looks turn me off.
Personally, since you have no experience, my advice is "buy the Apprentice"

Also, no matter what you end up getting, you should have an experienced RC pilot help you.

Added: mickydee's summation of the Apprentice & Valiant was "spot on"
Last edited by Clive66; Oct 21, 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Oct 22, 2019, 06:33 AM
Ghost Rider the pattern's full
While all the the E-Flite planes have Some version of SAFE technology, they are not the same as explained above.
One other difference between these planes is that the Apprentice does not have flaps nor does it need them.
While the Apprentice can take off and land itself, an experienced pilot teaching you is definitely recommended, however you may have difficulty finding one that understands the SAFE system and my want to teach you without it.
If you are not already a member of a club, I suggest you join one, if you are, ask around for recommendations. Either way you should join the AMA https://www.modelaircraft.org/
If not already a member, you can find local clubs through them, and SAFE trainer pilots through Horizon Hobby.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Oct 22, 2019, 09:29 AM
I have a Valiant. I think it would make a great trainer. Very stable and lots of bang for your buck at $169. My friend is just learning to fly. He has a mini Apprentice. It is a good beginner plane, but after a few flights, my friend buddy-boxed with me with the Valiant and likes it much better. I actually plan to reprogram his Apprentice to fly like a standard AS3X /Safe plane flies.
Oct 24, 2019, 06:55 AM
I would get a Valiant because it's a plane that you will grow into after you get some flights under your belt. The Apprentice is a good plane for a beginner but you will out grow it fast and be wishing for more. I have flown my Valiant for over two years and still love how versatile it is. I even bought an extra one that's still in the box so I will have a backup.
Oct 24, 2019, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borocay
I would get a Valiant because it's a plane that you will grow into after you get some flights under your belt. The Apprentice is a good plane for a beginner but you will out grow it fast and be wishing for more. I have flown my Valiant for over two years and still love how versatile it is. I even bought an extra one that's still in the box so I will have a backup.
Ditto! I have an extra one in a box too. I have a Turbo Timber, I really like, but I always fly the Valiant.

Quick Reply