Oct 20, 2019, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Help!

ESM Producing Spitfire CG Problem/Challenge

I recently completed the build of a ESM Producing (Chinese Co.) 1/6th scale Spitfire ARF. It is powered with a VVRC 25cc gas engine which runs beautifully. I'm wondering however if it will ever fly. Based on the limited documentation it states the CG is 107mm from the leading edge.
However unless I put a ridiculous amount of weight against the firewall (we are talking in pounds not ounces) I cannot get the plane to balance at 107mm..?? To add to the confusion I noticed the retractable landing gear on this tail dragger is located behind not forward of the specified CG. I cant help but feel the specified CG is wrong or there was a misprint in the instructions. Does anyone have any experience with this particular ARF or have any suggestions on finding the proper CG for this elliptical wing?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2019, 09:37 PM
World War One Spitfire?
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Oct 23, 2019, 06:43 PM
WWII has been described as a continuation of the political climate that produced WWI. So…. a Spit might be considered LATE WWI...????

IIRC, Spit's wing geometry is defined around the tip to tip straight line 25% location of the main spar. That would have any airfoil section, occurring along the span, as having it's 25% of chord, all occurring on that spar line. ALL conventional configured aircraft have to be balanced within 25-33% of an aircraft's Mean Aerodynamic Chord. On a scale Spitfire the math and location for balance are almost a no brainer given.... That is, of course, if your model's wing has a scale geometry. and not something invented by the model's designer.
Oct 25, 2019, 12:59 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Outzone has at least a couple of Spitfire plans, (Mk1 and Mk9), showing the CG location, you could look at the plan online and scale the chord and CG location to suit your model.

Nov 06, 2019, 10:06 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lute
I recently completed the build of a ESM Producing (Chinese Co.) 1/6th scale Spitfire ARF. It is powered with a VVRC 25cc gas engine which runs beautifully. I'm wondering however if it will ever fly. Based on the limited documentation it states the CG is 107mm from the leading edge.
However unless I put a ridiculous amount of weight against the firewall (we are talking in pounds not ounces) I cannot get the plane to balance at 107mm..?? To add to the confusion I noticed the retractable landing gear on this tail dragger is located behind not forward of the specified CG. I cant help but feel the specified CG is wrong or there was a misprint in the instructions. Does anyone have any experience with this particular ARF or have any suggestions on finding the proper CG for this elliptical wing?
Larry,

Very likely there have been more than a few discussions here on RCGroups about this. At the top right of this page you'll see a "Search" button. Click on that and enter "ESM Spitfire" and submit. You should get more than a few results. That'll give you an idea of how to search here and narrow down the results. You're unlikely to find your answer here on what is specifically a WW1 forum.

From personal experience with many Spitfires over the years once dialed in on CG they are one of the best behaved models you can fly. Very gentle stall. One important thing of note: Follow control throw recommendations for the ELEVATOR to exactly what is called for. In the case of the Spitfire more elevator throw is deadly (causes an instant snap). I have a Spitfire, maybe 60" span, and the elevator throw is something like 10mm up and down. Same on my small ones.

Good luck.

Quick Reply