Oct 20, 2019, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best Smoker Fluid

I have looked a various threads on smoker units and there are several different suggestions on which fluid to use.

Baby Oil
Fog Juice
Lamp Oil
Glycerin

Now the manufacturers say you must use their oil and if you donít it will cause damage to the unit. The problem is that smoke oil gets pretty spensive in those little bottles.

So what seems to be the best solution?
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 10:58 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I would imagine that whatever the MFG says to use a generic form of the same substance shouldn't hurt. For instance Fog Juice and glycerin are the same item. Baby oil and lamp oil-Pretty much the same...do some checking and testing as to what that spensive stuff is-glycerin dissolves in water and tastes sweet...the oils...not so much.

Heck John, if it's an oil, then use citronella and keep the mosquitoes away at the same time
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Oct 20, 2019, 11:01 AM
I been using lamp oil from Walmart for 5 or 6 years. No problems. A one quart bottle is a lifetime supply, and if the power goes off, I can use it in my hurricane lamps, too.
Oct 21, 2019, 07:40 AM
Thread OP
The Steam Oil that comes with the smoker is petroleum based according to the label on the bottle. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Oct 21, 2019, 12:57 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Don't you wish that someone would invent black smoke oil
Oct 21, 2019, 01:15 PM
I think the oil is only part of the problem. You need something more like a fuel-rich atmosphere, that is, a controlled combustion. Think of a diesel engine with a load - it's belching out partially-burnt fuel to make it black.

Andy
Oct 21, 2019, 03:41 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Sure Andy-also think of a smoke grenade-any color you want is available-now how to make that work in a smoke machine.
Oct 21, 2019, 03:46 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Something like a micro air pump tied to the throttle and feeding a burner-like an electric hash pipe from the 70s ..the more air the more smoke up the stack-maybe even electrically lit
Oct 21, 2019, 04:39 PM
Boats on the brain!!
There is such a thing and I just received 2 of them in the mail.
Oct 21, 2019, 04:48 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
A hash pipe or a black smoke machine? Cool-toss us a picture or a link please..
Oct 21, 2019, 04:48 PM
The white smoke coming out of my Jim Wilder tug simulates a diesel engine with bad piston rings. Lube oil bypassing the piston comes out as white smoke. The real JW's had gasoline engines, and I declared my has a diesel.

Black smoke would be cool for steam boats.
Oct 22, 2019, 03:56 PM
Nickel Belter
You can get sooty smoke from a small fire but it doesn't look any better than white stuff, the problem is the smoke itself doesn't scale down.

It would be nice if someone would come up with a valved or 'throttled' smoke unit that replicated the big initial puff you get when a diesel throttles up, followed by the smoke tapering off as it continues to run
Oct 22, 2019, 04:28 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Ok, I'll be nice and share.
https://www.banggood.com/Killerbody-...r_warehouse=CN
Oct 22, 2019, 04:29 PM
Boats on the brain!!
I haven't had time to try it out yet. The key word is time.

Quick Reply