Oct 20, 2019, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

life charging

Using life's and charging before going to the field using both the charge and balance leads, all looks good. Now at the field if you need to recharge after a few flights can you recharge through the switch without using the balance tab. I have a specially built cable that is supposed to charge and balance through the charge switch, but it just seems to throw a cell error on the charger, so what I really want to know is, can I just recharge the one time at the field without the balance tab, my charger will do this ignoring the missing balance tab
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 08:17 AM
Of course you can charge from time to time without a balancer connection. Charging without balancer connection should be possible with any reasonable charger. These have a "Lixx Charge" mode without the addition "Balance".
You have to try this with your charger.
Oct 20, 2019, 08:31 AM
No true Scotsman. . .

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eads-connected
Oct 20, 2019, 08:52 AM
I still stay with my opinion. A charger, that can not charge e.g. a 2s battery without a Balancercable, in my eyes is not a reasonable charger, no matter which company it is.
Oct 20, 2019, 08:55 AM
Yes you can if your charger supports non balance charging.
Actually you can balance charge through a 3 wire heavy duty switch by using the signal wire as the node wire. You do need to cut the node/signal wire on the output lead to the receiver with this arrangement.
I use a Cellpro Multi4 for my Life/A123 receiver batteries, so balance charging is required.
Pete
Oct 20, 2019, 08:58 AM
Thread OP

life charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNFLY
Of course you can charge from time to time without a balancer connection. Charging without balancer connection should be possible with any reasonable charger. These have a "Lixx Charge" mode without the addition "Balance".
You have to try this with your charger.
YES, I do have this option on my charger, thank you very much RNFLY
Oct 20, 2019, 09:00 AM
Well I agree that that capability is, to me, an essential requirement.

But many others tout chargers that they consider top notch missing that capability.

And some even think allowing it is irresponsible.

So, IMO the better phrasing is, if you want / need that capability, confirm the charger has it with members that own it, before you purchase.
Oct 20, 2019, 09:15 AM
Balancing during every charge is not necessary but a charger that forces the balance leads is a good thing for safety since it monitors all of the cells during charging. I have Nissan Leaf batteries in my golf cart and I only balance them about once a month. Good cells stay in balance quite a long time. My first Lipo batteries back in '06 did not have balance leads and they worked for years that way. I only own one charger (old as the hills Imax B6) that will charge without the balance leads.
Oct 20, 2019, 09:34 AM
IOW, **if** the bank has a way for you to "live monitor" per-cell voltages

perhaps even a BMS that cuts off the charge cycle based on the first cell hitting your spec'd top voltage

**and** you periodically balance the cells as needed through whatever gear, then

using a bulk pack-level charger is just fine.

An RC hobby charger where the balancing stage can be completely skipped, and allowing for bulk-lead charging of batteries with no balance leads,

certainly is most convenient.

Quick Reply