Oct 20, 2019, 03:21 PM
Trader Rating: 3
Old new guy
Hire the next 100 people waiting in line.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 03:21 PM
Trader Rating: 29
I don't know how the large online vendors do it either. I recently purchased two 20" bicycle tires for my wife's vintage Stingray and a kitchen sprayer from Amazon, all Warehouse deals. The tires were less than $9 each and the sprayer was about $12. Each tire was shipped separately from a different location, and each was in a huge box about 40" square and 4" thick - waaaaay larger than needed and over a cubic foot too. You could have easily packed 8 tires in each of those boxes without compressing or crowding them. The sprayer came in a third shipment, and again, a grossly oversized box, but not as egregious as was the tire packing. This was a total purchase of under $30, and was sent in 3 separate shipments. I do know that Amazon works their packers hard and fast, but it seems to me that taking a minute or two to locate an appropriately sized box would come out to be well worth it at the bottom line.
Last edited by silvaire; Oct 20, 2019 at 03:30 PM.
Oct 20, 2019, 04:25 PM
Trader Rating: 143
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX
Hire the next 100 people waiting in line.
LOL,, or say "thanks, bye cya,, adios, chao" and install more robots
Oct 20, 2019, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
LOL,, or say "thanks, bye cya,, adios, chao" and install more robots
Robots would probably, er, will do, a better job packing a box in 30 seconds that a human could.
Oct 20, 2019, 05:02 PM
Trader Rating: 22
I guess walking off the job didn't work to good for those Airline Traffic controllers back when the Gipper was in office. Sorry about bringing up Ronnie you moonbeamites.
Oct 20, 2019, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvaire
Robots would probably, er, will do, a better job packing a box in 30 seconds that a human could.
Ya think,,, and the don't go outside to vape synthetic THC on their breaks like the current crop of man bun wearing parental basement dwelling unskilled millennial laborers

Face it kids,, the only jobs of the future are Robot Techs
Oct 20, 2019, 05:47 PM
Trader Rating: 22
You left out pro gamers. Don't leave home without that smart/stupid phone.
Oct 20, 2019, 06:05 PM
Left out "Tatted up Bearded Bennie wearing" too,, my fingers were getting tired
Oct 20, 2019, 06:50 PM
Trader Rating: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
Yep, they get shipping deals. Got a number of boxes from Tower that could darn near fit a model airplane, that had something like a few small servos in there.
I got a decal set from Tower in box big enough to hold a countertop microwave. I've also ordered a few things from Walmart, enough to get free shipping but it seems like every individual item comes in its own box. I heard that Amazon prime is going to start shipping dollar type things free, next day. Toothbrushes and the like.
Oct 20, 2019, 11:15 PM
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by totenkopf
Wonder what all these corporate sellers/shippers would do if all the warehouse walked out the door and quit and told those big wigs to pack sand.
There'd be about a 2 day delay in shipping product out while they grabbed a bunch more people off the street. That's it. Warehouse workers are some of the most replaceable workers in the modern world and you bet your bottom dollar that if the ones currently employed as such just walked off like that the corporations would just shrug and hire on a bunch more desperate jobseekers. And that's how they fill positions; they prey on predatory unemployment laws to get warm bodies in their facilities and then work them to death for bugger all pay.

A lot of the people who come and go though warehouses are people who used to make $30/hr or more and got laid off through no fault of their own, then fell victim to regulations on unemployment that pretty much require them to take the first job that gives them an offer regardless of how crap that job actually is.

And atop that, if they got word that such an action was being planned, the ringleaders are getting fired before the walk-off can even happen. Very very few warehouse workers are unionized and the warehouse upper management likes to keep it that way as much as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller
It's already built into the price. Hobby shops get free shipping to their stores over a certain dollar volume as well.
Makes me wonder how they're even profiting off these things then. $160 for a decently high quality 40 size pattern ship?! How much did they actually pay for it in order to get it to me for that low a price?
Oct 20, 2019, 11:35 PM
Trader Rating: 127
AMA 72859 Build Baby, Build!
Just like Hemi said...companies like Tower, Amazon and your local grocery store have the cost of shipping figured into the price of the item. Remember when all those TF Gold Edition kits were priced at around $135. Then they started to go up in price dramatically and within a few years were over $200. Cost of production didn't increase that much...it was shipping costs that drove that kit with "free shipping" up. How many times here on TT has the subject of perceived price been discussed?
Oct 21, 2019, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Aviation

Makes me wonder how they're even profiting off these things then. $160 for a decently high quality 40 size pattern ship?! How much did they actually pay for it in order to get it to me for that low a price?
Good question,,, typically cost to manufacture and get it to your warehouse (point of distribution) needs to be no more than 25% of retail price

example,,,

A good buddy of mine who was in retail originally brought this to market, I helped him do demos at the hobby shows back in the 90's, he was selling them for about $12 at the time,,,, they cost about $2.50 each to get made and in his garage,,, he was having a local California non profit that employed the blind and disabled do the assembling and boxing ,, No way he could get them done at that pricing these days,, but that's whole nuther thread,,

Hobbico (top flite) bought the design from him,, took manufacturing overseas, I do't know, but that probable brought cost down to $1.25,, think they were selling them for $15 before going belly up.

Generally there is a lot of wiggle room baked into point of sale prices
Oct 21, 2019, 01:05 PM
Trader Rating: 305
-insert witty saying here-
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Aviation
Seagull and VQ are made in Vietnam. Average pay per month there in a manufacturing job is $240/month. Based on the US 40 hr workweek, that works out to $1.31/hr.

https://tradingeconomics.com/vietnam/wages

Based on industries I've worked in, I'd guess Horizon is paying somewhere around $40~ $50 for that 40 size pattern ship. Dealer/street/MAP pricing at $160, from my time at at LHS, the hobby shop usually gets around 40% off. Tricky part is if that 40% is list or MAP, such as list is $200, MAP is $160. Percentage off varies by the item or category when you're dealing with a distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2collector
Just like Hemi said...companies like Tower, Amazon and your local grocery store have the cost of shipping figured into the price of the item. Remember when all those TF Gold Edition kits were priced at around $135. Then they started to go up in price dramatically and within a few years were over $200. Cost of production didn't increase that much...it was shipping costs that drove that kit with "free shipping" up. How many times here on TT has the subject of perceived price been discussed?
I think the drop in volume also might have played into the pricing. They also went to a generic white box with a sticker label, vs the nice printed boxes.
Oct 21, 2019, 01:43 PM
Trader Rating: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by totenkopf
Wonder what all these corporate sellers/shippers would do if all the warehouse walked out the door and quit and told those big wigs to pack sand.
My son-in-law works for a large corporation shipping many, many thousands of packages from warehouses around the country.
They are in the early stages of 'no warehouse worker' warehouses, with automation involved from the time an item is received from the vendor until the time it heads out the door to the customer. This includes loading of packages into the big guys' (FedEx, UPS, USPS) trucks.

At the end of the day in the minds of those pulling the strings labor is an 'evil necessity' which must be eliminated at all costs.

Don't believe it....check out the automation in place/being installed in your local McD's.......
Oct 21, 2019, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
My son-in-law works for a large corporation shipping many, many thousands of packages from warehouses around the country.
They are in the early stages of 'no warehouse worker' warehouses, with automation involved from the time an item is received from the vendor until the time it heads out the door to the customer. This includes loading of packages into the big guys' (FedEx, UPS, USPS) trucks.

At the end of the day in the minds of those pulling the strings labor is an 'evil necessity' which must be eliminated at all costs.

Don't believe it....check out the automation in place/being installed in your local McD's.......
I am sympathetic to those in the bottom tiers of the labor force, but I see anything that reduces the total labor investment in either product or delivery as a good thing. Here in the USA there used to be jobs available for anyone regardless of their skills or training, but such jobs are becoming fewer and fewer. Yet those who are marginally employable still have to eat. I recently read that between now and 15 years ago the average total number of working hours needed to rent an apartment has doubled. I'm not offering any answers; just watching the train wreck hoping to avoid getting hit too hard by the debris.

Quick Reply