Oct 18, 2019, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Question about wing shape..

My little one wants me to build a "flying car". I was just going to to two side profile pieces with a flat center section. My question is about the "wing" design. Making it to it looks right makes it about 29" long and 11" wide. How well will it fly as a flat foamy with such a long, rectangular wing shape? Should I maybe cut some sections out of it to make it more of a canard type of wing layout? Using a CG calc on the rectangular design I have now puts the CG so far forward that I doubt I'd ever be able to acheive it. I can make it wider and shorter and just leave the side panels longer for the profile view if that would help with flight as well. Any input here? Thanks.
Joe
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2019, 08:52 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Maybe this will help :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Free-simulator

If you want , you can get an EPP kit from Fancy Foam :
http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...art_p_104.html
Oct 18, 2019, 10:34 PM
flyin' fool
Here's a super simple idea ……………….

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...cky%27s+Rocket
Oct 19, 2019, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Hmm, those are pretty cool too. My son wanted me to print the image of a 1989 Turbo Trans Am and make that a profile flying car since I have one and he loves it lol. I printed it tiled on plain paper and it comes out to about 29" long. I have widened the center to 14.5 and shortened the "front" a bit to give it more of a delta shape with canards. Not sure if it will work or not. I'll have to browse some and get some ideas. Maybe talk him into just going with the skycart lol. Thanks!
Oct 19, 2019, 03:58 PM
flyin' fool
You can just add the profile of most anything to the Skycart. Basically it's just a Pizza Box Flyer with profile fuselage and wheels.
Oct 19, 2019, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
You can just add the profile of most anything to the Skycart. Basically it's just a Pizza Box Flyer with profile fuselage and wheels.
Thanks, I came up with this for now just to see if it works. I'm going to look into the sky cart some more since that can go on the ground as well. He is 6 and just wanted to know if I could make a simple flying car. Hopefully going to maiden it tomorrow, I'll keep you guys posted lol.
Oct 19, 2019, 09:57 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Looks good !
Video if possible !
Oct 20, 2019, 06:21 AM
Yaw stability?
Looks like you have quite alot of vertical area ahead of where the CG would be for the "wing" inside...
Oct 20, 2019, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Yaw stability?
Looks like you have quite alot of vertical area ahead of where the CG would be for the "wing" inside...
I'm concerned about that as well. I wanted to put a piece down the center with a vertical stand but my son said it was ugly... we'll see what happens. The side panels are fairly wide, even behind the CG so I'm hoping it might work. I'll keep you posted.
Oct 20, 2019, 09:04 AM
treefinder
If it doesn't fly well, and you want to tinker further, you might just shift the car image verticals aft relative to the flat center section, so the car's nose is even with the center Leading edge, and the car's tail extends aft of the center trailing edge. That should give better aft side surface, though will require moving battery fwd to keep CG right.

Then turn the wheel images into real rotating wheels so it will run on ground!
Oct 20, 2019, 11:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
If it doesn't fly well, and you want to tinker further, you might just shift the car image verticals aft relative to the flat center section, so the car's nose is even with the center Leading edge, and the car's tail extends aft of the center trailing edge. That should give better aft side surface, though will require moving battery fwd to keep CG right.

Then turn the wheel images into real rotating wheels so it will run on ground!
It seemed to be fairly stable as far as yaw but it was way tail heavy. I have to add more velcro and I'll move the pack up and see how that goes. Rotating wheels have not been ruled out lol, just want to make sure it flies first.
Oct 20, 2019, 02:38 PM
Thread OP
Okay, I take that back. It needed a vertical stab. Got it back out with the CG better and it wouldn't turn it all, just kept hanging the tail end down when I tried. Put a stabilizer on it and it's night and day.
Oct 20, 2019, 08:19 PM
treefinder
That was my point, shifting the profiles aft may achieve the same effect by being twin tails aft of the wing.
Oct 20, 2019, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
That was my point, shifting the profiles aft may achieve the same effect by being twin tails aft of the wing.
I just did this as a quick fix. I didn't want the prop protruding past the nose of the car so it was a trade off. Either way, it flies well now and he loves it so it'll do. I had originally wanted to use an indy car profile or something with a similar wing to act as the vertical stabs but he wanted me to use the TTA since I have one lol. I'll make another one differently eventually but this works for now
Oct 21, 2019, 11:31 AM
Glad it worked out in the end
Another common approach to avoid ruining "appearances": Transparent vertical stabilizer.

Quick Reply