Oct 18, 2019, 03:12 PM
Aircraft Life
Thread OP
Discussion

I just had a girl.

Here's an interesting question to throw out there: do those of you with daughters have any luck getting them interested in the hobby? How many of your daughters were interested in participating? How many didn't seem interested?

I'm just curious.

-Will
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2019, 03:49 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I tried, used her in some review shots, but zero interest in hanging at the field or flying.
Oct 19, 2019, 12:31 AM
My oldest daughter likes to fly R/C and my youngest is learning control line. I think it all depends how they were raised to handle peer pressure and their need to be accepted by friends. Both of my kids realize they are not like the other kids at school. It's not a boy or girl issue with kids being interested in things, it's their parents, and the parents of their friends. Face it, modeling is not popular with the general population,
Oct 19, 2019, 03:23 AM
Three grand daughters, not a one interested. Over the last 10 years have had about six woman start training, none finished.
Edwin
Oct 19, 2019, 11:53 AM
My daughter was a "daddies" girl as a child and attended club meetings with me, went to airshows, but never wanted to build a model or fly one. She did learn a lot of DIY stuff and as an adult has installed her own built-in microwave oven and can do most homeowner fixit stuff, and knows more about cars than the average guy. Who knows what "grabs" a person's interest in any hobby or other pursuit?
Oct 22, 2019, 09:10 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
My daughter is 15 now - she was interested in RC crawling for a while and even saved up money to buy an entry-level micro crawler. She tried RC flight sim once and has been to the field to watch but beyond that, not much interest.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:32 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Yea, my girls could fly the snot out of the sim when they were bored, just no interest in going to the field.
Oct 22, 2019, 02:41 PM
Never had a daughter but neither of my two sons never had any interest in model flying. They both like to dove hunt but have no interest in deer hunting even though they have seen me kill many deer. It happens. So kids just don't want what daddy likes.
Nov 11, 2019, 10:45 AM
My son did get learn to fly rc with the local club. My daughter had other interests. Her description of Dad's hobby is "vroom ...... crash".
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Nov 12, 2019, 03:30 PM
AeroDan
I did try seeing if my daughter might try this back in the day, but my ex was totally against it. My ex feared it might make her MORE intelligent than her mom or her stepdad, which makes PERFECTLY good sense to me (Ha Ha). My daughter put herself through nursing school, and she’s QUITE good at it, so there you go. I LOVE her and my grandson to death, though. She has a birthday coming up toward the end of the month, too (28 on the 28th), so thanks for reminding me.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 12, 2019 at 07:42 PM.
Nov 12, 2019, 03:37 PM
Jesus Freak
my granddaughter like to fly a drone, i'm gonna teach her to fly a plane and heli
Nov 15, 2019, 10:05 AM
Growing up, my wife always wanted to fly her dad's rc planes and stuff, but he can be difficult to work with when he's teaching. So I think that drove her away. I've picked up the hobby from him now and have developed quite the collection. I've talked to my wife about her flying some time and she likes the sound of it, so i'll probably get her behind the controls a few times. But I know its not really her thing.
I think it all depends on how they are introduced. And even then, it may not be their thing. As my kids get older, I plan to teach them and introduce them to the hobby. I think I'll have good success with my two boys, but we will see as they grow up.
I figure i'll start simple. paper airplanes and chuck gliders.
Nov 15, 2019, 10:44 AM
A man with a plan
I think you have to take personality into account. I have two sons. One of them is quite relaxed, and he has developed into quite a competent pilot without much trouble. The other is more the nervous type, so he finds it stressful. I want to introduce him to gliders, because I think they would make him a lot less nervous. Maybe that's the sort of thing your wife might like. There's a definite objective, to find lift, but there's not a lot of stress. And some would say that the planes are more beautiful and majestic looking.

Quick Reply