Oct 22, 2019, 06:33 AM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira d
This sentence hits the nail on the head, AMA was to busy trying to get laws passed that would virtually

require anyone wanting to fly RC to be a AMA member.

And Congress saw through it!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2019, 07:17 AM
12S Or Bust
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
Actually the Blackhawk collision did result in an emergency landing for that helicopter. Along with major $ís worth of damage.

RStrowe
It does not take much to send a 60 to the hangar for a " major $ís worth of damage."

On one occasion we hit a small branch on a Ponderosa Pine and that was enough for a major inspection including all the way down to even the transmission. The Crew Chief ordered an immediate landing for visual inspection and then back to base, leaving several of us to walk out.
Oct 22, 2019, 07:32 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
Stop the backbiting would be a good start, and recognize that we have shills among us who pretend to be pro-hobby but in fact are doing their utmost to exclude hobbyists from the airspace..
Oh I agree, particularity with the shills comments. It's one thing to have members who are slightly 'risky', but not causing any issues. But completely different when we have 'hobby members' running and crying to FAA and Congress claiming we are going to kill everyone flying in the sky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
Originally Posted by Rusty105
AMA is WAAAAAAYYYY out financed this battle, so what can the hobby community do?

keeping a rather low profile in whatever flying ya do, would be a rather good place to start.

no unwanted attention...
That is not going to stop the unwanted/unneeded onslaught of over the top regulation on model aviation!
Oct 22, 2019, 07:48 AM
12S Or Bust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Oh I agree, particularity with the shills comments. It's one thing to have members who are slightly 'risky', but not causing any issues. But completely different when we have 'hobby members' running and crying to FAA and Congress claiming we are going to kill everyone flying in the sky...

That is not going to stop the unwanted/unneeded onslaught of over the top regulation on model aviation!
When this whole issue began several years back, the forums were flooded with what were obviously trolls. They generally joined right before or after the controversy began, posted continuously, stuck to the same talking points relentlessly and most wouldn't even acknowledge a comment accusing them of being trolls.

Yes I think after the recent revelations about Google's and FB's "troll armies" some of which are digital run by AI programs it's not impossible that special interests might use Shills to present a false impression.
Oct 25, 2019, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
Actually the Blackhawk collision did result in an emergency landing for that helicopter. Along with major $ís worth of damage.

RStrowe
The blackhawk landed at an airport what I consider a forced landing meaning it landed right where it was or crashed.
Oct 27, 2019, 12:10 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray93J
Yes, accidents do happen. Are you one that wants to stop the flights of all old military airplanes after the B-17 crash?

When all the drone jackasses started posting videos on You Tube of flying above the clouds, near and above manned aircraft and the like. You did not thing that would get the attention of the government? Manned aircraft have been flying at all altitude using a see and avoid process for many years. Model airplanes can neither see nor avoid. In fact from the You Tube videos, RC airplane operators now have the label of being bold and entitled to do what ever they want.
A regular (not BVLOS) R/C pilot with a spotter can see and avoid just as well, and maybe better, than a VFR pilot in a C172 with his eyes glued to his GPS navigator.
Oct 27, 2019, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
A regular (not BVLOS) R/C pilot with a spotter can see and avoid just as well, and maybe better, than a VFR pilot in a C172 with his eyes glued to his GPS navigator.
Well said. VFR GA pilots are no doubt spending less and less time looking out the window with every year that passes. And it's probably been decades since most pilots flying IFR kept up an adequate scan outside the windows when in VMC (not in clouds) to watch for that Piper Cub etc that might legally be in their same airspace with no transponder.

Flying LOS, just me by myself with no spotter, I've never had a problem keeping my RC plane or glider far, far away from any full-scale traffic. I don't need a 400' tether to make that happen.

I'm sure someone flying FPV with a LOS spotter could be say the same or better, since there is a dedicated spotter. Even if the FPV plane is all the way out to tiny-speck distance-- the LOS spotter should have no problem detecting any nearby full-scale traffic.

(FPV with no spotter, not sure I'd want to support that so much, except when staying rather low, like 400' and below.)

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Oct 27, 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Oct 27, 2019, 07:49 PM
12S Or Bust
"UPS Drones Will Now Deliver CVS Prescriptions To Your Home"

Great now I won't have to go to the store to pick up my Thorazine!
Oct 27, 2019, 08:35 PM
Even if the full scale is not looking outside, he still has right of way over a UAS. Make all the arguments you want that will not change. You will just have to wait and see what the AMA comes up with for you to fly higher than 400, that is approved by the FAA. .
Oct 27, 2019, 09:44 PM
Delivery drones would never be here if it wasn't for the RC modeler who invented the small brushless motors, computer systems, speed controllers. All of that was driven by the RC hobby industry.
Oct 27, 2019, 11:10 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490
Delivery drones would never be here if it wasn't for the RC modeler who invented the small brushless motors, computer systems, speed controllers. All of that was driven by the RC hobby industry.
And in the words of the immortal Pogo "We have met the enemy and . he is us."
Oct 28, 2019, 02:27 AM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490

Actually, this would indicate small brushless motors were used in hard drives, cordless tools, cnc, and other uses. Most of those preceded widespread use in recreational sUAS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brus...electric_motor
Oct 28, 2019, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
And in the words of the immortal Pogo "We have met the enemy and . he is us."

This the only reason we now have delivery drones. No one dares admit it. Pogo has it right,.
Oct 28, 2019, 08:58 AM
12S Or Bust
If you want to go back a little further to the inventor of RC technology, Nikola Tesla who demonstrated his RC boat at the 1898 Worlds Fair you'll find that he also invented the Induction Motor which is arguably the forerunner of modern DC Brushless technology. Had the technology of transistors been around then to invert currents he might have invented DCB as well.
Oct 28, 2019, 09:01 AM
aeronaut999 wrote
Quote:
And it's probably been decades since most pilots flying IFR kept up an adequate scan outside the windows when in VMC (not in clouds) to watch for that Piper Cub etc that might legally be in their same airspace with no transponder.
Not true ! When I would be departing an airport, during bird migration season, I would brief my First Officer , if I was pilot flying, to watch out ahead for birds.,. At least until 10,000' Same case, if the F/O was flying, I would be looking ahead for birds.
Once , departing ORD, in a DC-9, suddenly we had a flock of geese dead ahead at our altitude ! I racked the aircraft into a tight turn, and geese were diving off to our left and right.. Scary
Birds, IMHO have always been the greatest , uncontrolled threat to FS aircraft, even large turbine jets. I've hit a seagull, at night short final into La Guardia with an Airbus. Just a bright flash of white, then a loud bang. I thought the bird had punched a hole in the radome..

The one time, I flew my Xplorer 3.8, at a scale meet, I was very happy when another pilot (who also flies FS sailplanes) came over and offered to be my spotter. There were these huge 1/3 scale sailplanes wheeling around, up high, whereas at my field, I was usually the only rc aircraft above 300'.
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 28, 2019 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply