Oct 18, 2019, 04:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

YEP 180 HV troubles

Hi all, at last I completed my new model, scratch built 1/4 scale Super Tucano, and couldn't test fly properly due to a YEP HV esc that suddenly quit 25 seconds after take off, not so nice to have an emergency landing on the first flight of a new model weighting 13 kilos, but all went ok, I was lucky and good, discovered the problem in the esc, that doesn't work anymore, no led lighting and no beeps connecting batteries, and the same happened the day before with another same YEP esc that quit taxing toward strip to take off.

Two esc brand new, same fault in the first seconds of operation. Has someone had such same experience ? Suddenly faulty in what seems radio section, no talks with the receiver, no problems in the power section that for my experience usually can be seen some FET cooked and can be smelt ! The installed motor Rotomax 50 cc absorbs 120 amps with 12 lipos and APC 23x12, so a lot below rates of YEP 180.

Hobbyking accepted to replace one still in warranty, but the first one, has been laying in the box for a couple of years (time to draw and build the model) and is not covered anylonger by warranty (in spite that in Europe warranty period for end users is TWO years !), and, most important, HobbyKing DOESN'T provide ANY service/repair facility, even on my charge.

Do you have in the States some people making such service ?

Any help/suggestion will be duly appreciated, ciao Carlo
Last edited by cmelak; Oct 18, 2019 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Of course some repair service in Europe will be even better !
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2019, 06:31 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Sorry to have wasted the time of such a brilliant long time e-flyer. Won't happen again.
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jul 01, 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Oct 18, 2019, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Hi Ron, thks for all yr suggestions, but in this case nothing happened in the power section, and in both events, lenght of connections including battery wires is about 12, 13 cm, 10 G wires section, battery sag is 11 volts, I mean full throttle 39 volts/120 Amps fully charged batteries and all values on the ground, fixed point, KV = 172 and of course plugs are the best on the market, no intermittance at all.

I am living in northern Italy, have been Italian Scale Champ 11 times on a row, and flew at several World champs, in Arnhem I was flying a F4U Corsair, scored 18th, first of single wings plane with small bonus against bipes and multi engined, could be you were there to see.

Frankly is the first time I experience this kind of problem, and the worst is not to understand why, two faulty ESC in a row ? Hard to believe, but could be.
Now, in addition to yr suggestions to overcome troubles, any indication for repairing stuff ? I have been shocked to discover no service provided on a product sold for 240,00 euro.

Post a couple of pictures of installation and of the one and only take off so far, grazie, ciao. Carlo
Last edited by cmelak; Oct 18, 2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Sorry, you asked for, APC 23/12 E, 6700 RPM static
Oct 18, 2019, 10:35 AM
... ..... ........ .
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jul 01, 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Oct 18, 2019, 03:30 PM
Hi cmelak
Are you sure your Rotomax have a 172 rpm/V Kv ?
HK and eCalc are indicating 172 (catalog)
I have tested one Rotomax 50 cc : measured Kv 188 rpm/V no load
In that case 12S LiPo fresh + APC 23x12 E could give 152 A (lower margin for the YEP)
Just an idea (120 A ???) .. have you a clamp ammeter 400A to check ?
Louis
Latest blog entry: Scorpion Calc
Oct 18, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
No Louis, I used a wattmeter capable to read up to 200 amps, but I used same arrangement in the past, same motor/prop/lipos with a Turnigy Dulux 160 Amps (very small and lightest unit) for about 60 flights before selling the model/motor without any problem.

In the YEP the only power section , the one with all the long twin line top and bottom of FETS is much bigger than the complete Dulux ESC, but anyway, as told at the beginning, the fault is not in the power section, is the "servo" side that doesn't see the receiver.

Carlo
Oct 18, 2019, 05:17 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelak
Hi all, at last I completed my new model, scratch built 1/4 scale Super Tucano, and couldn't test fly properly due to a YEP HV esc that suddenly quit 25 seconds after take off, not so nice to have an emergency landing on the first flight of a new model weighting 13 kilos, but all went ok, I was lucky and good, discovered the problem in the esc, that doesn't work anymore, no led lighting and no beeps connecting batteries, and the same happened the day before with another same YEP esc that quit taxing toward strip to take off.

Two esc brand new, same fault in the first seconds of operation. Has someone had such same experience ? Suddenly faulty in what seems radio section, no talks with the receiver, no problems in the power section that for my experience usually can be seen some FET cooked and can be smelt ! The installed motor Rotomax 50 cc absorbs 120 amps with 12 lipos and APC 23x12, so a lot below rates of YEP 180.

Hobbyking accepted to replace one still in warranty, but the first one, has been laying in the box for a couple of years (time to draw and build the model) and is not covered anylonger by warranty (in spite that in Europe warranty period for end users is TWO years !), and, most important, HobbyKing DOESN'T provide ANY service/repair facility, even on my charge.

Do you have in the States some people making such service ?

Any help/suggestion will be duly appreciated, ciao Carlo
Mate, same speedo but under "SunRise" logo, cooked for me, tho on 2nd. flight many years ago in rather thirsty 13kilo, 127mm EDF jet (BEA Hawk, pic).
It was replaced by the factory after sending it back to them direct.
I have purchased two more of the same units but the first thing was my modification, removal of the plastic coverings and adding extra cooling alloy plates on each side of the unit.
I currently use 3 of them , 2 in large EDF jets and one in "Extra300" spinning 26x10 prop, all running cool after above mods.
Note! Placement of the unit is most important, get as much direct air-flow over it as possible!
Oct 20, 2019, 01:12 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jo, thks for suggestions, of course my installation provides plenty of air flow to the ESC, but as told in previous post, the power section, the big pc board with the big FETs looks pristine, no signs of burnst components and no smell, my feeling is that the fault is in the radio section, where you do not have any warm up and current is 0,000000 etc milliAmps.

After the quit the small red led close to the rx wire doesn't light anymore, and my guessing is that there is not anymore talking between esc and rx.

As far as I know an ESC is made by two sections, one talking with the rx, the second with the motor, is the radio section that says to the power one to open the tap and amount of flow. But could be I am mistaking,

Carlo
Oct 20, 2019, 04:12 AM
jofro
Mate, the first thing I would do is to remove that heat shrink plastic covering over the ESC to check it properly.
Looking at the pic, it doesn't look like it has a very good airflow over it, as it is well away from the direct prop wash and plastic wrap over it.
Oct 22, 2019, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jo, thks for suggestions, pictures are not the best, but believe me, all FETs are in pristine conditions, look brand new as have to be since they worked roughly two minutes, if weather ok next sat, I will make "new" first flight, this time with Funfly 160 ESC.

Will keep posted, Carlo
Oct 22, 2019, 04:57 PM
jofro
If you have program card, try to re-set it if possible. In the future if it works, fit to both sides over the fets heat sink plate with the use of heat transfer paste.
I have actually double checked the current draw on my set up now with larger 26x10 prop, still hardly warmed up after couple of flights yesty at some 140A max c/draw compared to 115 with 25x8.
Good luck.
Oct 28, 2019, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Hi friends, made six wonderful flights during weekend, three on saturday and three yesterday, increasing flight time from 5 to 7 minutes after batteries check at home, nothing made different on the model or batteries, same lenght of cables same air intake toward ESC, just different brand for ESC.
Quite unbelievable, but I have to really take into consideration two faulty ESC on a row. Thank Jo for suggestions, All,

Ciao Carlo
Oct 29, 2019, 02:41 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelak
Hi friends, made six wonderful flights during weekend, three on saturday and three yesterday, increasing flight time from 5 to 7 minutes after batteries check at home, nothing made different on the model or batteries, same lenght of cables same air intake toward ESC, just different brand for ESC.
Quite unbelievable, but I have to really take into consideration two faulty ESC on a row. Thank Jo for suggestions, All,

Ciao Carlo
Two faulty ESCs of this caliber and cost sounds bit suss. I would send them back and ask for replacement. Good luck there.
Oct 29, 2019, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
Hi Jo, one ESC has been shipped already for substitution, HK agreed for RMA, the other one, in spite to be brand new, has been purchased more than 12 months ago, then is out of warranty, so the lesson is (with some suppliers) when everything is ready buy the ESC/motor, otherwise it is quite hard to test 12 lipos ESC, without the model ready to fly.
carlo
Jul 01, 2020, 06:45 PM
.......... ... .... .. .... .

Quick Reply