Oct 17, 2019, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Upholstery

Let me begin some of you may have seen my build log starting back in 2007 of my 1/4 scale Riva 1970 Super Ariston after 13 years I thought it about time to finish the project. Where I am at after stripping the boat down to bare wood and refinishing, I come back to an area that caused me a lot of frustration years ago that now again has reared its ugly head again.

The upholstery I used a faux leather I believe it came from San Francisco but its a PVC coated can't even call it a fabric its like a plastic sheet was called Pleather Faux Leather its as thin as regular note paper, but when applied over a foam cushion looks real enough to be leather.

I have spent countless hours searching for this product I have purchased 5 different supposedly Faux leather thin products which don't even begin to be close the latest from Menena craft leather is less then 2mm thick but firstly the grain is almost full size and even stretched over a form without padding don't look right.

My craft is a fully working model all scale parts fabricated and chrome plated as original by me all the lights work from the dash it has a key turn in the ignition press the starter button engages the audio of a V8 all knobs are scale in other words a near museum piece but also a working model, that now desperately requires the upholstery finished so any one got a source
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2019, 01:21 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
I would recommend going and visiting any local upholstery shop you have near you. Cars/Boats/Home.....all should have a lot of material on hand you could look at. Talk to the experts and see what they recommend, they might even have a sample you could try. Good luck!

Bob
Oct 17, 2019, 04:28 PM
Where's the pond?
I was thinking that doll clothing makers would have sources for the light weight stuff. Here's one, but I can't vouch for how light weight the leather is:
http://www.dragonflyintl.com/shop/co...n-us/d139.html
Oct 18, 2019, 03:34 PM
Boats on the brain!!
https://www.ultrafabricsinc.com/brands/ultraleather
Oct 18, 2019, 08:37 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
You know, we'd (I'd) love to see this boat , sounds awesome! How about some pictures or a link to the build log...
Oct 19, 2019, 10:46 AM
Thread OP

super ariston

A few pictures of now once again unfinished craft
Oct 19, 2019, 10:56 AM
Thread OP

super ariston

Thanks for your suggestions and input. Unfortunately everything suggested is either marine grade or heavy weight vinyl
Again I ordered 1.2mm but even that is way to thick and the embossed pattern was almost full size

As best I can tell from the small amount I have of the original Faux leather it is just PVC sheet [I suspect garment material] as I said earlier its paper thin about .02mm.

Does anyone know how to contact Chinese Manufacturers where I can send a sample iof what I require without ordering aa bolt of material
Oct 19, 2019, 01:22 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Contact Greg (GPR) I vaguely remember him explaining to me that he used Kid (glove) leather on one of his amazing builds-I could and probably am wrong -but he can certainly give insight from experience.

Sorry, I got sidetracked ..the Riva is awesome..Please keep the pictures coming
Oct 19, 2019, 02:42 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
If the material was too thick to conform around corners, did you skiv the backside if the material? Lots of youtube videos on the techniques. When I used marine vinyl for my model interior I found the best and easiest way to thin it down was to use an orbital sander on the backside of it.....took some time but made the material much easier to work with.

Bkb
Oct 19, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Hi Bob,

Trust me I have seen kid glove leather used on cockpit combing and it looks awesome but first of ll you wont find Teal colored gloves., then they are are not large enough for my boat. I had a lady do the original upholstery from the material I supplied the bolster rails were fantastic but the seats were to put it mildly amateurish. I paid $400 this was 6 years ago and I still have them as a souvenir of junk! it was a pity because this lady worked on film studio sets where she built and covered period furniture. My thoughts were and still are that she put so much time into the first parts she got burned out or realized she would have so much time involved. She originally after a year asked me for $1400 I refused and settled for the $400 as I say I still have them I'll post a picture of 1 quality 2 junk. I'm still searching for Pleather Faux Leather .02mm
Oct 19, 2019, 05:25 PM
Thread OP

super ariston

Hi Bob,

Upholstery pictures I supplied the parts with sanded blue foam + the material

You might be able to detect how thin the material is in the first picture where I cut out a piece as a sample

The next two pictures are of fabricated parts polished brass ready for chrome
Oct 19, 2019, 06:20 PM
How thick is leather on Goodwill leather purses?
Oct 19, 2019, 08:26 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I understand what you are saying about the size of gloves-but I meant the type of leather not actually taken from a glove...also don't let the color stop you. We had an aircraft interior shop where I worked and they could dye the leather any color you want. As matter of fact there are some pretty good DIY leather dyes out there (Google it)
Our interior guy would use spray adhesive and a heat gun...he could wrap a glare shield with baseball stitched leather like a Ferrari steering wheel.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Oct 19, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Oct 19, 2019, 09:32 PM
Thread OP

super ariston

I'm afraid everything that is mentioned is far to thick I have been messing with this upholstery for a long long time the fabric that was used in the first picture

for the deck pads is as I said about the thickness of writing paper, its probably just PVC that is run through a hot bed to give a slight texture to the surface the back side is shinny.

David
Oct 19, 2019, 09:36 PM
I purchased Silhouette leather paper to try for my build. Haven’t used yet, but you could easily dye and try. It’s paper that feels/looks like leather after washing.

Silhouette Faux Leather Paper 12"X60" Roll-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YU7S6FU..._YE8QDbTJ0SS50

Quick Reply