Oct 17, 2019, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Silk covering sources.

Having discovered that the last of my silk supplies have vanished into the depths of the workshop equivalent to the Bermuda Triangle, I need some more- if only to make my supply reappear when it is not needed!
Here in the UK one source is Mike Woodhouse at Free Flight Supplies but I was wondering if any UK modelers had an alternative supplier they had actually used and been happy with?
White silk is fine, though coloured would be useful. It seems to me the challenge is finding one that is actually proper silk, and is not preshrunk.
or perhaps you have tried something else instead of silk.

TIA
Martin H
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2019, 09:55 PM
Edubarca
Have you tried Sig Manufacturing Co.? Not in the UK but I have just checked their webpage and they do sell silk. www.sigmfg.co. They have been in business since 1951 and even at the same site in Montezuma Iowa, USA. Very nice people.
Oct 20, 2019, 08:05 AM
There was discussion about Dharma silk a while back and I bookmarked the page. The link still works, but the page looks quite different from what I remembered. I thought this was an oriental source; the 800 number and dollar prices indicate a US source.

https://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...botai-5mm.html

Jim
Oct 20, 2019, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE
White silk is fine, though coloured would be useful. It seems to me the challenge is finding one that is actually proper silk, and is not preshrunk.
or perhaps you have tried something else instead of silk.

Martin,

I have been trying polyester chiffon over mylar. The Mylar reduces the amt of dope needed to seal the open weave,

The chiffon has a little bit of heat shrink but best put on with a multitude of hands to stretch while ironing down to edges with impex material adhesive which is similar to balsaloc but easier to apply from the spouted bottle. I have doped with 50/50 shrink dope/thinners - 2 coats. then used iron to take out any wrinkles. This gives a very light covering.

I have also tried polyester dress lining without the mylar. Weave is closer but still needs 2 or 3 coats 50/50 dope and a little bit of heat from iron for any wrinkles. Much heavier depending on weave - open is light but needs a lot of dope. Strength on this similar to solartex,nylon cover etc. There are some threads in this forum re polyester dress lining one of which includes test sampling - try searching in the group for polyester dress lining.

Both materials come in variety of colours/patterns and is relatively inexpensive - about 2/running metre either 40 or 60" wide.

my blog points to my 2 vagabonds - both covered in chiffon and my southerner which has the dress lining covering. Modelas are electric so fuel proofing is not an issue.

You dont indicate size/type of models you are building but you can see that the 3 models are fairly big and light.

hope this is of use to you.
john
Oct 20, 2019, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
John thanks for your post.
Done several tissue over mylar and was thinking of trying silk on mylar on some larger models.
Your post is interesting and given me something to think about.
Will look into it.
Oct 20, 2019, 07:57 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodgson
John thanks for your post.
Done several tissue over mylar and was thinking of trying silk on mylar on some larger models.
Your post is interesting and given me something to think about.
Will look into it.
Silk over mylar works well-a little harder to do than tissue over mylar but you get the same type of benefits......I've also tried lightweight nylon over mylar with less success....so it isn't a technique that's applicable across all the types of doped coverings....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Quick Reply