Nov 14, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
I got ambitious and finished the build last night. I installed the decals and after struggling with the window decals I remembered that I had some contact paper that would have made the job much easier, but anyway they came out ok. I did not install a light package as this project is way over budget as is, but I did install all the parts so later it would be easy to install lights if wanted. The Axial trim kits went on with ease and it came out looking great. I am still waiting for the Axial rub rails to show, but other than that it is ready to rock and roll and current status is garage queen...

FPV setup I have a plan. I am going to use the FPV module from my Hobby King Tundra plane and make some brackets out of wood or plastic so I can use it in the plane or the Jeep. It should work ok and will be a fun addition to take people for rides as I have two sets of goggles. I'm not sure how the wood will hold up but I don't plan on leaving it in and bashing around, just for fun once in a while for mellow rides.
Last edited by nhk750; Nov 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
A picture of the Jeep on it's maiden voyage.
Last edited by nhk750; Nov 15, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
Nov 20, 2019, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Well, it's broke-in, but not broken...lol. I have been experimenting with cameras and fpv equipment and am finding it a bit different than airplanes. Airplanes are nice and smooth, but a rock crawler is really bumpy! So, it tends to beat up your brain while driving and It's also hard to see through the lexan windshield. I actually finding driving line of site if way funner than fpv. FPV is a novel idea, but not really practical, but it's all good and that is just my opinion. I will put together a video of my back yard course I am working on and some FPV footage for fun in the next week or two and post it up here. I will abandon the FPV idea after this and enjoy line of site from now on as it is so relaxing and fun. Overall, this has been a great build and this Jeep runs perfectly, crawls great and even has a little speed for fun. I'm also using a Spektrum radio set up with AVC so it really tracks straight and traction is very controllable. I still love airplanes, but I cant believe how much fun a Crawler is!
Dec 01, 2019, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Video of my Crawler with some FPV Crawler Video

I actually prefer driving it line of site as I find it more enjoyable that way. The FPV tends to jar your eyes after a while. So, I never did anything fancy for the FPV, just mounted an fpv setup on top of the rig with some command strips to test out.

Backyard Crawler Course (1 min 51 sec)
Last edited by nhk750; Dec 02, 2019 at 12:20 AM.
Dec 24, 2019, 09:36 AM
Beautiful truck, great job.

Quick Reply