Oct 16, 2019, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Canopy Trim Paint

Hello all, I could use some helpful ideas on how to paint the trim lines on a Goldberg Super Chipmunk canopy. I'd like to paint white trim like the original. What would be a good paint to use? I assume a spray paint would be the best. Do you paint the inside or outside and what's the best way to tape it off? One other thing, what's a good glue for attachment to the fuselage? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thank you very much! Jack
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2019, 09:47 AM
Perpetual Novice
Jack1950
Nice question. I'm interested in knowing what modern builders might post.

And I wonder... about using the FROG brand paining tape (trims well & works great on house jobs) and the Krylon type enamel plastic spray can paints (I've been using them to restore outdoor toys and they too hold up well). HHHHmmmm.
Oct 16, 2019, 10:24 AM
Jack, I likemusing that Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint for small trim areas like this. It is a good match for Monokote and Ultracote white and is quite easy to spray. To mask off the canopy you will need a fine line tape. 3M makes several types, all work well. You will first do your outline with the fine line tape and then do the rest of the masking with blue painters masking tape. Once that is done you will need to scuff the plastic to be painted with 600 grit, clean well and then spray a few light coats. The paint atomizes better and flows better if you warm up the can by running hot tap water on it for a few minutes.

For canopy installation I prefer a method that uses no glue at all. I get a roll of 3M pressure sensitive tape. This is double sided tape that is extremely thin. I apply to the sides of the canopy and carefully put the canopy in place. I then add a few screws for extra security.
Oct 16, 2019, 11:28 AM
Have you thought about putting on thin trim tape. That has got to be easier than paint. You could then seal with a clear coat.
Oct 16, 2019, 12:42 PM
AMA 537620
I do it pretty much the way exf3bguy said... on the inside of the canopy. If you paint the outside, whether it is fuel proof or not, you'll eventually start wearing out the paint through handling. I also like that mounting idea with the double sided tape, never thought of adding that to accompany screws.

I would not recommend clearcoating a canopy... it makes cars real shiny when you apply correctly and wet sand and polish and all that... but it will just fog up your canopy. However, you might have success with trim tape by itself on the inside for quite a while as long as the canopy is properly fastened and sealed from the elements/fuel.
Oct 16, 2019, 04:46 PM
ZAP canopy glue recently used on the canopy of my Mpx Heron... perfect !
Oct 16, 2019, 06:07 PM
AMA 537620
Canopy glue is also great, but some canopies are harder to glue than others.
Oct 16, 2019, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Thanks very much to you all for the great ideas. Now all I have to do is figure out which one I'm most capable of doing. I'd like to try and tape it off on the inside and spray paint it but first I think I'll try this method on one of my old canopies and see how it goes. Things were much easier for me back when I was younger and could see a lot better. I will post later on when it's all done and let you all know how it turned out. Again, thanks very much for your help. Jack
Oct 16, 2019, 07:17 PM
The idea of using double sided tape with screws is a good idea, I'm going to start doing it that way.
Oct 17, 2019, 02:10 PM
If the canopy has molded in framework then painting it from the inside with a small brush, using no masking tape, is pretty easy unless you have shaky hands. If you don't have any frame lines, then mask it off on the outside and paint it with the same paint you are going to paint your plane with.

To mount a canopy, drill some holes in the perimeter through to the fuse and screw it down. Then remove the canopy and spread a tiny bit of glue all the way around it where it touches the cowl. Then screw it down again.. When the glue dries, you can remove the screws and put a tiny bit of spackling compound in the holes, then touch that up with a small paint brush. We're talking 4-40 size screws at the largest.

I usually mount my canopies by simply tacking them in place with thick CA. Then I make a fillet all the way around using microballoons and epoxy. Tape the canopy off then shoot it.

If you are mounting a canopy over a monokote finish, after the canopy is screwed down and before it's glued, mark it all the way around and cut a ribbon of monokote off the fuse so the glue has something to stick to. Screw two nbr. 11 exacto knives together with a washer or two inbetween them to make a cutting tool.

carl
Oct 18, 2019, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPilotFL
Have you thought about putting on thin trim tape. That has got to be easier than paint. You could then seal with a clear coat.
This would be my plan, done on the inside. Just avoid stretching the tape!

Quick Reply