Slope Soaring RC Paraglider - Video

I've been asked this quite a bit over the years and the answer is yes you can slope an RC Paraglider. Here's a fun video to show you how it works.

Splash

Yes You Can Slope a Paraglider

I've been asked this quite a bit over the years and the answer is yes you can slope an RC Paraglider. They are wings and work on the same principles of lift as rigid airplane wings. So when the wind hits a slope and deflects upwards, it provides lift and keeps the paraglider wing in the air. It's fun stuff! If it's really windy and your wing won't fly forward, just add ballast until the paraglider penetrates into the wind.

I wanted to share this video from Jack Zabawa posted a couple of days ago. It's him flying his Opale Split 1.6 Paraglider with Pilot Ben at Palisades Park. The breeze was a nice 6-7kts and straight at a 38' bluff allowing him to soar like a bird. Check it out below.

Oct 16, 2019, 11:18 AM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Very nice flying.

One day - if I ever find a slope close to here, I will definitely try Slope flying.
Oct 16, 2019, 04:10 PM
Looks like another Rotten Day in San Diego! Great video.
Oct 17, 2019, 12:48 AM
Jason Thanks for sharing my soaring video. For the past year I have been soaring my paramodels every chance I get. I'm having a load of fun. I have Palisades Park only a few blocks away, I've been to Torrey Pines Gliderport and Dave's Beach. I'm looking to try other sites as well.

If anyone has questions I am happy to help.

Here's a video from a couple years ago Opale produced that helped me figure out soaring technique. Be sure to turn on captions "CC" for on screen translation.

Thanks Jack Z.

Parapente Rc Tutoriel - Comment faire du vol de pente - Hybrid 5.2 - 4K (25 min 51 sec)
Oct 17, 2019, 10:52 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Awesome stuff Jack! If I ever get out west again I’ll contact you and maybe we can fly together.
Oct 18, 2019, 12:07 PM
www.youtube.com/c/AMBERSpecs
Hi Jason,

well, that's great and you can spend hours having fun with it.

I love this kind of RC Paraflying and remember a Punkair Vid that also shows how awesome it works:

"Punkair Flying Emotion" paragliding alps (5 min 24 sec)

I still like to remember that, when we definitely did not need our Returnassistance (Engine), some of us also used the pure Soaring version. You can recognize this feeling over and over in the video.
In the strongest wind, aprox. from 30 km/h upwards, we are actually flown with minimum weight already from about 2 kg.
The ingenious acceleration technology of Cefics / Punkair allows for even the most sporty Flightmaneuvers even under these conditions without additional ballast.
Especially against the wind to above all again quickly 'away from the edge, in the short term, simply the Speedbar activated = A- and B(half)- belt pulled down.
I am thrilled with these RC Gliders such as the Crossalps, Chinook or the new Eagle, these are real RC Sports- Equipment and can also be very hard on the brakes just to turn to achieve the slightest sinking and without much to enjoy the eighth on the slope ,
So even in the most demanding conditions without landing alone with the technology I adapt to almost any condition.

I wish you many more nice soaring moments.

Cheers and best Regards, Matthias
Oct 25, 2019, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlescd
Very nice flying.

One day - if I ever find a slope close to here, I will definitely try Slope flying.
Get a UMX Radian and you won't need much of a slope.

UMX Radian Slope Flying a Wall (1 min 40 sec)
Oct 25, 2019, 06:26 PM
Here's an old clip that inspired me to give soaring a try! I still GRIN watching this one!

Rc Paraglider Spiral Rage Extreme acro! (2 min 24 sec)
Nov 12, 2019, 12:43 AM
I thought I would add this recent video here as well. I've had a Garmin 360 camera for a couple years. Previously I've attached it below my motorized paramodels. Here's a short clip from the first time I attached the camera to my pilot, setup for soaring. Look guys, No motor! Ben Pilot, Split 1.6 wing.

RC Pilot Soaring Palisades Park. (1 min 28 sec)

Quick Reply