Nov 14, 2019, 06:00 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Thread OP
Bought a couple of cans of Rustoleum 2x today.
Quick clean with IPA, light coat followed by a slightly heaver coat 10 minutes later.
I must say I am very pleased with the results. Finish looks near to film coating.
This is the way I like to paint, quick, easy and done
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 06:22 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
As some youtubers I watch would be prone to say, "Dude! That is legit! That looks OEM right there! That's what I'm talkin' about!"
And of course, "That is sick!"
Nov 14, 2019, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Cheers Whiskers
This paints is the ducks guts. Hides a multitude of sins, I'll have to spray some on myself.
Just come in from painting the top of the fuse and cowl white. Not sure what the weight penalty will be, forgot to check it before hand.
Now I will have to wait at least a few days before painting the rest of the fuse and wings yellow.
This is where I usually come unstuck, or rather the paint does. Need to let the paint go hard before applying masking tape.
In the meantime it's back to house painting (SWMBO!).
Nov 14, 2019, 10:34 PM
Quote: In the meantime it's back to house painting (SWMBO!)
Rack up some of those sweet Brownie Points
Nov 22, 2019, 02:27 AM
Thread OP
In between my fruitless attempts to earn frequent flying points with the base commander I managed to spend some time in the man cave.

I never have much luck in the vacuum forming stakes. Usually they turn out rather ripply or not at all.
This one came out ok, though it did destroy the plug in the process, crushing it due to too much heat and or vacuum.
As a result it ended up a little smaller than planned but it will have to do.

I had trouble getting the hatch open due to the strong magnets so I added a couple of small tabs of 6x1mm cf to get the fingernails under.

The white sections are all done now and I have been leaving the plane out in the sun to get the paint to harden. This paint remains quite soft for a while.
Hopefully I can now mask it up without the risk of tearing the paint off. I am using yellow Frogtape which seems to work quite well.
Last edited by brett.c; Nov 22, 2019 at 03:42 AM.
Nov 22, 2019, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Weather has not been good around here lately, hot, windy and plenty of smoke from bushfires.
However, today was perfect. 22degC, low humidity, clear and no wind.. perfect for painting.

There are plenty of dings and marks showing through the paint but I am still pretty happy with the results. After all, it is just some cheap insulation foam covered with brown paper. I could have spent a load of extra time getting everything perfect, but no doubt it will get heaps more dings etc getting it in and out the car and at the field.

I was lucky with the yellow because the can ran out right on the last squirt.

I'll wait a few days for the paint to harden, then add some black pin stripes and a clear coat over all.
Nov 23, 2019, 12:18 AM
Lovin' it...
Nov 23, 2019, 02:55 AM
Thread OP
Cheers Whisks

On a bit of a roll today.

Stripes are black packaging tape laid out out on baking paper and then cut into 5mm strips.
The stripes along the wings have a twofold purpose as they also mark the cg line.

To me there seems to be something missing in the tail area. Black strip between the h-stab and elevators perhaps?
Last edited by brett.c; Nov 23, 2019 at 03:01 AM.
Nov 23, 2019, 06:20 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
What store did you buy your el gringo from? That is some beautiful work there Brett, can't wait to see it in the air.
Nov 23, 2019, 07:02 PM

Graphics needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c
<snip>

To me there seems to be something missing in the tail area. Black strip between the h-stab and elevators perhaps?
Maybe all it needs are some nice black graphics.
The big white stickers really improved the look of my plane Bluey.
Nov 23, 2019, 08:16 PM
treefinder
I'm with Timbo, what store'd ya get that from?

As to the "missing ", you need a VH "number" that spells something cool or smart aleckey. (Understanding that you guys don't use numbers in your registration IDs) Here in US we would stick our "N" number on the tail. Don't know if that is kosher location down under, though.

Maybe pretend it is pre 1928, and use G-AUDY
Last edited by springer; Nov 23, 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Nov 23, 2019, 09:12 PM
El Gringo could be VH-ELG
That really belongs to a Van's RV-7A, but I'm sure that would not be an issue.

Or, if you think the plane will bring you joy (it should) then it could be VH-LOL, which belongs to a Robinson R44 helicopter.
Last edited by Whiskers; Nov 23, 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Nov 23, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Cheers guys
With all the hours I have put into it so far I couldn't afford to buy it.

I really liked the Bluey. Followed the build thread all the way to its sad demise. Will there be a Bluey II?
BTW, I bet most wouldn't get why you'd call a red plane bluey

I think I'm just about done with all the fancy stuff and want to get this thing into the air asap.
Then depending on how it goes I might dedicate more time to it. That's if I haven't started the next one (already sketching out plans )
Nov 23, 2019, 10:47 PM
I have repaired Bluey, and he has flown again.
That's the thing with foam, it's infinitely reparable.
Nov 24, 2019, 08:43 AM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
El Gringo could be VH-ELG
That really belongs to a Van's RV-7A, but I'm sure that would not be an issue.

Or, if you think the plane will bring you joy (it should) then it could be VH-LOL, which belongs to a Robinson R44 helicopter.
Two good ones! One advantage we have as modelers, the "gummint" won't come for us if we put somebody elses ID on our planes!

Quick Reply