Oct 15, 2019, 10:04 PM
!= International Arms Dealer
Thread OP
Discussion

Jumper R8 Receiver - 8-channel PPM/16 channel SBUS, D16 compatible, telemetry?

I saw the announcement for these a few months ago. Full-range 8 channel PPM/16 channel Sbus with dedicated Sbus, RSSI and APM telemetry ports and telemetry.... for $12!

I didn't care anything about the APM-specific features... just figured these would be an inexpensive way to move more of my fleet over to FrSky.
I saw that a US-based vendor was carrying them so I ordered a few.

Got them today.

They are as described. I don't really like the top-facing pins, but that can be worked around.

They seem to be fairly well put together. I do like that the antennas use u.fl connectors as they can easily be replaced as needs suit.

What I don't like is this.

After binding and doscovery two sensors are presented : RSSI and RxBt. RSSI behaves as you'd expect, byt RxBt remains at 0.0V regardless of what I do. I've tried running the power in via each of the PWM ports as well as directly to the GND and VCC APM and SBUS ports. No smoke came out (which was nice) but still no receiver voltage.

I even tried hooking an FBVS01 to the APM ports.... nothing happened.

I've contacted Jumper technical support and asked for some clarification.

I haven't flown any of theese yet as it has been pouring rain all day, so I can't yet speak to their actual in-the air performance. Tomorrow will tell.

Has anyone else tried these receivers?
Last edited by visioneer_one; Oct 16, 2019 at 09:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2019, 06:40 AM
I have, and the range is great. Where in the US did you buy? I had to get mine in China.
Oct 16, 2019, 07:08 AM
@visioneer_one: Can You make better photos from inside, please? No details ( type of processor... ) can be seen...
Oct 16, 2019, 08:22 AM
I'm wondering why the RSSI and RxBattery sensors have the same ID, Did you see th ey have an R1 version of that receiver as well? (not PIX PX4 APM whatever difference that would make)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...e-db048b274fae
Oct 16, 2019, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddano007
@visioneer_one: Can You make better photos from inside, please? No details ( type of processor... ) can be seen...
My RX's CPU - STM32 F103C8T6 6Q25E 1193

... and I have RxBt=0.0V , RSSI works with external 4in1 in D16 mode
Last edited by synekvl; Oct 16, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
Oct 16, 2019, 10:35 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Sounds like a D8R-II clone running Mike Blandford's D16 firmware.

Which would be typical for the manufacturer. Their other receiver (the R1) is such a close copy of the XSR at the electrical layer that you have to run XSR firmware to get D16 LBT support.
Oct 16, 2019, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopath
I have, and the range is great. Where in the US did you buy? I had to get mine in China.
I got them from Heli-Nation. $12 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddano007
Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
I'm wondering why the RSSI and RxBattery sensors have the same ID
I noticed that. Bound up a genuine X6R to the same model memory, and its RSSI and RxBt sensors show the same ID. They also show the same values if you attempt to edit the sensor.

(Same model memory bound to an X6R)

I did get a reply back from Jumper tech support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumperSales
Thanks for choosing Jumper and sorry you are having problem.

RXBT depends on the flight control supports or not.
? unclear.

I'm guessing that the RxBt value is supposed to be supplied by a connected flight controller?
Oct 16, 2019, 11:16 PM
From the flight controller? I guess we take their word for it since they market it as a pixhawk rx.
Oct 16, 2019, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Sounds like a D8R-II clone running Mike Blandford's D16 firmware.
you might be on to something here. I read through that thread, and Mike mentioned using the Tx and Rx along with a diode to get SPort telemetry ...

gonna try something in the morning
Last edited by visioneer_one; Oct 22, 2019 at 02:41 PM.
Oct 19, 2019, 08:45 PM
Without the use of a flight controller or anything else, does anyone know if there is a firmware update or a soldering fix that would allow this RX to send back RxBt along with the RSSI on telemetry or is it just RSSI.
Nov 04, 2019, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da RC
Without the use of a flight controller or anything else, does anyone know if there is a firmware update or a soldering fix that would allow this RX to send back RxBt along with the RSSI on telemetry or is it just RSSI.
I've tried everything I could think of and have not been able to get RxBt to return a value. I guess they are RSSI only.

I have flown these in a couple of planes, though. They seem to perform well, even in a crowded RF environment!
(I stuck one in a wing and flew it in the full-contact combat event at HHAEFI. ~25 pilots and their transmitters, all standing in close proximity and broadcasting at full power. No loss of control.)

I'm back home now. I think I have an old APM flight controller squirreled away somewhere. Might as well hook it up as per Jumper's instructions and see what it does.
Nov 06, 2019, 06:50 AM
There is a posting (review) for this receiver on AliExpress saying it is a copy of the X8R, and can be flashed with the X8R firmware:

" This receiver seems to be a copy of the X8R, so you can flash it with the original FrSky firmware. I am using it whit an XJT module, EU-LBT firmware. Telemetry also works fine. In range check mode, i get over 60 meters, son more than 1 km theorically. 04 Nov 2019 13:08 "

I have ordered, but not received one of these, so I have not tried flashing (but I will when I get it). Take this for what it's worth. I have no idea if it's true.

Ed
Nov 06, 2019, 08:21 AM
qar! vemmoH ghIj crow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4353
There is a posting (review) for this receiver on AliExpress saying it is a copy of the X8R, and can be flashed with the X8R firmware:

" This receiver seems to be a copy of the X8R, so you can flash it with the original FrSky firmware. I am using it whit an XJT module, EU-LBT firmware. Telemetry also works fine. In range check mode, i get over 60 meters, son more than 1 km theorically. 04 Nov 2019 13:08 "

I have ordered, but not received one of these, so I have not tried flashing (but I will when I get it). Take this for what it's worth. I have no idea if it's true.

Ed
I don't see an SPORT input. If it doesn't have SPORT it isn't an X8R clone.
Nov 06, 2019, 09:38 AM
Good catch. It was early when I saw all this. It was a nice dream while it lasted.

Ed
Nov 06, 2019, 09:39 AM
Good catch. It was early when I saw all this. It was a nice dream while it lasted.

Ed

Quick Reply