Oct 17, 2019, 04:15 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Thread OP
Ah, there's always more to do. There's always something that can be added, something that can be improved. I just like tinkering with things like this, that's all.

If there's a clever part to this ...I think it's keeping things as simple as possible. Or at least looking as simple as possible. I mean it's always tempting to add complication and clutter. Avoiding complication is the clever bit.

Maybe it's a bit like avoiding extra weight, when making a flying model? Remove all the bits you don't need. Kind of like that - simplicate and add lightness.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2019, 05:57 PM
He who stalls....falls!
Yes, I guess all these things would make it better still.... when I scroll thru looking
for a particular model, or type of model, , "I remember that one" or
"that looks neat". (mainly from reading Aeromodeller in 60's and 70's)

So from someone who thinks "Will look this plan up, only take 5 mins." and spends
the rest of an evening remembering and being wowed by the number of plans,
I just say thanks that the time and effort was taken to put the concept together in
the first place.

cheers
Oct 20, 2019, 06:44 AM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP

Login system now active

Ok, have just uploaded new pages to the site. You can now use the "My Oz" button (on the top menu) to register and to log in. Once you have logged in, you get new options:

1. Favourites
2. Fixlist
3. Collections.

This is currently all a bit rough around the edges, but the key elements are all in place. If any of you want to jump in and have a go, create an account, start making some favourites lists, collections, etc, now is your chance.

Any feedback on how well this works (or doesn't) for you is very welcome.

Adding some screenshots now to show pages.

The login system is pretty standard, I think. To register, you need a valid email address, a chosen username that's not already in use, and a password that is 8 characters or more. An activation email is then sent, and clicking the "code link" in that email then sets the account active. That's about all there is to it. Will build a lost password page next. Passwords are hashed.

From the members (My Oz) page you then get access to your favourites and fixlist, which are quick to use. Using the collections is a step further, because you can set up and name as many collections as you like. And you can set each collection as public or private.
Last edited by WMD; Oct 20, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
Oct 20, 2019, 07:23 AM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Using favourites:

Once you are logged in, just browse the site as normal. Find a plan you like, then look at the bottom of the 'Datafile' section. Click those links to add/remove a plan from your favourites.

You can view all your favourites from the 'My Oz' members page. The 2nd screenshot here shows MustangBob viewing his 3 favourites, so far.
Last edited by WMD; Oct 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM.
Oct 20, 2019, 03:51 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
I've created a couple of 'Collections', but can't yet add plans to these. Too soon..?
Oct 20, 2019, 05:41 PM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Ok that's strange, should be working - I must have messed up somewhere. Sorry, it's late now and I need to get sone sleep, will check on this and start again in the morning. Thanks for trying it out though.
Oct 20, 2019, 05:57 PM

No rush, take your time.
Oct 21, 2019, 03:01 AM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Ok. Let's have a look see. Either I programmed this wrong, or I've made it unclear how to use the collections pages.

If I am MustangBob, this here is some screenshots of what I see, in sequence... there are 2 possibles routes through this, but let's start by assuming MustangBob has not created any collection as yet. But he is logged in.

1. in the My Oz pages, I click 'Manage my Collections'
2. then I click 'Create new'
3. enter a collection name and description, click 'Insert'
4. ok, so now my collections manager is showing I have 1 collection set up.
5. So now I go browse the site as normal, find a plan I like. On that page, in the 'Datafile' section, I click 'Add to Collection'
6. I get a screen asking 'Add to which Collection?' I click on my new 'WWII fighters' collection.
7. Now the Datafile on that page shows me it's been added. (it offers a 'remove' option, too)
8. If I go back to the My Oz pages, I can view the whole collection (currently 1 plan) here.

Hope that makes sense. I appreciate it's a bit clunky at the moment. I am guessing step 5 is not obvious to everyone. It's unintuitive that you have to leave the My Oz pages and go use the normal site pages, at that point. Maybe?
Oct 21, 2019, 04:31 AM
Aha..! All is revealed..! Yes, it works, and all the better for knowing how..! Thanks for the 'step-by-step'.
I'll start adding 'planes to my 'Collections'. It'll take a while, there's so many..!
Oct 21, 2019, 06:40 AM
WMD
WMD
Thread OP
Excellent. Ok, feel free to play with it and have a mess around. If you set a collection to 'Public' rather than 'Private' it will then automatically appear on the main site, see here https://outerzone.co.uk/collections/index.asp

Here, in this screenshot, you can see the MustangBob 'WWII fighters' collection is now public, with a link for everyone to browse it.
Oct 21, 2019, 07:24 AM

Quick Reply