Oct 15, 2019, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

IPhone shot my jet down?

Flew my jet Sunday and my wife was videotaping from about 15/20 feet away from me. On the second oval pass the plane went nose down and totaled.
Itís my understanding that the iPhone and my Spektrum 18 transmitter both work on 2.4 megh.
The first oval was closer than the second. The plane was directly across from me out about 600 feet and about 100 feet high.
It was reminiscent of when we had channel assignments and someone turned on their transmitter while I was flying.
So, has anyone had a similar experience with IPhone interference? The plane reacted as if was shot down. Nosed straight down.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 01:11 PM
Pro Hoarder
My guess is not the phone. I dont think it has the power output to swamp the rc system
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 15, 2019, 02:17 PM
I don't think any US cell phones operate in the 2.4ghz range. Here's a chart to maybe ease your mind-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellul...cies_in_the_US
Oct 15, 2019, 11:27 PM
I had a similar experience.

One of the guys at my local club opened a can of coca cola.

Shortly after, my plane crashed.

My plane crashing was obviously caused by the opening of the coca cola.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seeing as almost everybody on the whole entire planet has a mobile phone in their pocket / handbag, pretty certain we would have heard by now if there was an issue.
Oct 17, 2019, 04:18 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 oclock charlie
I don't think any US cell phones operate in the 2.4ghz range. Here's a chart to maybe ease your mind-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellul...cies_in_the_US
They actually do (wifi) but it's not the case here.

Phones do not crash planes and without knowing more we can not help. Upload the bespoken video for more clues!
Oct 17, 2019, 06:38 AM
This happened to me, I had my phone in my pocket and my Bluetooth ear phone on. My phone rang and my plane became uncontrollable and crashed. There was a guy standing next to me who heard the phone ring and watched the plane crash. We figured it was the Bluetooth that caused the problem. We both leave our phones at the table behind the flight line now.
Oct 17, 2019, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
They actually do (wifi) but it's not the case here.

Phones do not crash planes and without knowing more we can not help. Upload the bespoken video for more clues!

Then it would be wifi- not cell phone signal, but hey- who can pass up an opportunity to nit pick?
Oct 17, 2019, 07:29 AM
So im the guy that was standing with airborn900 and can absolutely verify that it did indeed happen. Also any of you leave your phones sitting on top of your computer monitors? If you do you might notice that when they receive signal it distorts the screen and causes some flickering sometimes, and it happens just a moment before the phone ringes.
My flip phone used to do it on my computer monitor haven't tried it with a smartphone cuz now I use a laptop.
Oct 17, 2019, 08:09 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15driver
Flew my jet Sunday and my wife was videotaping from about 15/20 feet away from me. On the second oval pass the plane went nose down and totaled.
Itís my understanding that the iPhone and my Spektrum 18 transmitter both work on 2.4 megh.
The first oval was closer than the second. The plane was directly across from me out about 600 feet and about 100 feet high.
It was reminiscent of when we had channel assignments and someone turned on their transmitter while I was flying.
So, has anyone had a similar experience with IPhone interference? The plane reacted as if was shot down. Nosed straight down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborn900
This happened to me, I had my phone in my pocket and my Bluetooth ear phone on. My phone rang and my plane became uncontrollable and crashed. There was a guy standing next to me who heard the phone ring and watched the plane crash. We figured it was the Bluetooth that caused the problem. We both leave our phones at the table behind the flight line now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersparky
So im the guy that was standing with airborn900 and can absolutely verify that it did indeed happen. Also any of you leave your phones sitting on top of your computer monitors? If you do you might notice that when they receive signal it distorts the screen and causes some flickering sometimes, and it happens just a moment before the phone ringes.
My flip phone used to do it on my computer monitor haven't tried it with a smartphone cuz now I use a laptop.
Nope...not possible whatsoever...period. You crashed and it sucks, I get it. Don't blame something because you just because you don't understand how the technology works (which is pretty obvious). You're spreading FUD based simply on ignorance and that's not productive or helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronn
I had a similar experience.

One of the guys at my local club opened a can of coca cola.

Shortly after, my plane crashed.

My plane crashing was obviously caused by the opening of the coca cola.
BINGO! This is actually more likely than the above scenarios due to the distracting sound of "SKSSSSSSS".
Latest blog entry: New T-One Mini Turbine...
Oct 17, 2019, 08:18 AM
Why is it that when these mysterious crashes happen it seems the word Spektrum is almost always involved?

I have never ever experienced a glitch of any kind in the last 12 years and my phone is always in my pocket (wife has a bad habit of calling when I have a plane in the air). But, then, I don't use Spektrum equipment.
Oct 17, 2019, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad
Nope...not possible whatsoever...period. You crashed and it sucks, I get it. Don't blame something because you just because you don't understand how the technology works (which is pretty obvious). You're spreading FUD based simply on ignorance and that's not productive or helpful.

BINGO! This is actually more likely than the above scenarios due to the distracting sound of "SKSSSSSSS".
I have been in the hobby for 20+ years. I have crashed my share of planes in that time. Some my fault, some equipment failure. I can say without question that as my phone rang my plane stopped responding to radio inputs. Technically possible or not, it happened.
Oct 17, 2019, 09:48 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborn900
I have been in the hobby for 20+ years. I have crashed my share of planes in that time. Some my fault, some equipment failure. I can say without question that as my phone rang my plane stopped responding to radio inputs. Technically possible or not, it happened.
I don't know why you bring up your 20+ years of hobby experience because it is, quite frankly, completely irrelevant in this case and your statements substantiate that. Maybe you got distracted by the ring and that caused a thumb-brain short circuit. Maybe it was just a weird coincidence. I can't tell you what caused it, but I can tell you what didn't (based on verifiable facts)...the phone's communication transports and protocols.

Believe whatever you want so you feel better...that's probably your best strategy as one cannot effectively argue against a belief. The fact remains that it's not possible. Keep your phone behind the flight line, leave it at home...if that makes you more comfortable, that's great. I have no problem with that. But do not spread baseless, incorrect speculation that draws conclusions that are contrary to physical reality.
Latest blog entry: New T-One Mini Turbine...
Oct 17, 2019, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad
I don't know why you bring up your 20+ years of hobby experience because it is, quite frankly, completely irrelevant in this case and your statements substantiate that. Maybe you got distracted by the ring and that caused a thumb-brain short circuit. Maybe it was just a weird coincidence. I can't tell you what caused it, but I can tell you what didn't (based on verifiable facts)...the phone's communication transports and protocols.

Believe whatever you want so you feel better...that's probably your best strategy as one cannot effectively argue against a belief. The fact remains that it's not possible. Keep your phone behind the flight line, leave it at home...if that makes you more comfortable, that's great. I have no problem with that. But do not spread baseless, incorrect speculation that draws conclusions that are contrary to physical reality.
Your reality is skewed
Oct 17, 2019, 10:24 AM
I have also never had interference due to a phone or Bluetooth device (and i would regularly anser and talk on my phone while flying) and I was an early adopter to Spectrum, I got my DX7 less than six months after it came out and have had several different radio sense. Just because you have never had something happened or you have a belief that it cannot happen because technology law says devices are not allowed to conflict with each other does not mean that it's physically impossible. I watched airborne moving the sticks and washed it crash right in with no response to the radio signal immediately after I heard his phone ring, I watch this because he called out "I have nothing it's not responding" . RF noise is not always predictable especially on cheaper Electronics, if I get to close to the guy with the two way radio listening for traffic my ix12 causes the handheld radio to go nuts even though it's a regulated 2.4 device and by law it cannot cause interference the other devices, guess what it does anyway.
Oct 17, 2019, 10:33 AM
Additionally Google search two words Bluetooth interference, then tell me why Bluetooth cannot interrupt disrupt distort or general F with 2.4 signal.

"To communicate between your devices, Bluetooth sends signals over a 2.4GHz radio frequency. ... Wi-Fi is perhaps the biggest and most problematic example, as are other Bluetooth receivers and devices, which can interfere with one another. That said, even microwaves can cause Bluetooth interference with your devices"

Quick Reply