Dec 02, 2019, 07:27 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Huina-RC...72.m2749.l2649

The 1510 is almost exactly the same as the F310 above.. except it is of much better quality plastic... the usual, more brown/orange all of the usual Huina excavators are made from. Things like the fake rams look more realistic.... same features as the F310... only way nicer to look at with the Huina plastic and the more usual huina playstation type controller. It still has the forward aft stick on the left and the left/right stick on the right (as opposed to the forward/back sticks on both sides) The difference will be gone into in the 1550 thread to follow.

The 1510 usually sells from about $AU40 - $AU65

This purchase taught me:

1/ If it seems to be good to be true.... it probably is (again, a fully functional digger for $42)

2/ The sellers on ebay will write anything to make a sale (they don't mention the arms follow a cycle)

3/ Read every line of every ad before you pull the trigger.

4/ There are no cheap excavators that are fun for growed ups.

5// If any doubt, refer to 1/, 2/ , 3/, and 4/

Summary: The 1510 is very nice to look at, a good size... it would be very good if its arms were able to be moved independently , rather than the digging cycle. The main issue with the cycular digging, is you can't perch the excavator on a pile and have the bucket dig below ground/track level... as excavators often do... if you sit it on a mound and dig, the bucket only goes to the level where the ground should be. Reasonable fun, may be a good gift to a guy who likes RC and construction stuff (a tradie?)... who might bring it out at barbeques and play with it with his mates whilst becoming intoxicated. Now THAT would be fun to watch

Again, I will edit in comments on the sounds... I have to run them all to check. One of them, either the F310 or 1510 plays god awful disco music. (Have to check)

This is not my video, it is from the intertubes... kudos to its owner. It does show the severe limitations of the 1531 with its cycling arms... you really need to put some dirt where it can grab it in the cycle... and the truck where in the cycle the bucket can let the dirt out.... It looks very frustrating trying to work the excavator buttons ... and also that the truck can't move easily because of it being only 2 wheel drive. Doesn't look to be fun to me.

Rc Truk Volvo Dan Beko Excavator | Double Eagle Industry E581 (9 min 56 sec)
Last edited by Calcifer; Dec 10, 2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: add video
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2019, 09:07 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
At last... the 1550 15channel 1:14th scale excavator

This also includes the other Huina excavator based models, such as the 1560, 1570, 1571 etc, being that they are the same machine with different attachments, a hammer drill, a timber grapple and a ball/rock grabber (the drill and rock grabber are 16 channel)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUINA-15...frcectupt=true

The 1550 is the first that both looks very good and does perform quite well. Probably the best thing about it, is there is alot of upgrades available for it. Upgrades like the metal arms.... or if you dont want to go that far, you can put screw rams onto the plastic arms. This both provides strength and stops that incessant clicking every time the arms get loaded up and have to 'slip' their clutches (like always!)

The best thing about the 1550 (550) is the price! I can get one delivered for less than $AU70.... add to that $AU70 for some screw rams and you can do some pretty good digging.

Unlike the previous models, the 1550 has the Tx with both sticks forward and backwards... so, by holding one forward and the other back, the 1550 can sit on the spot and turn... the other models can only turn reliably on a bit of an arc... this is good in a couple of ways. The 1550 can climb onto a 'perch' or pad and turn on the spot to face the right direction.... and then, most importantly, it can dig to about 20cm - 25cm below track level... then drop the load in a dump truck anywhere within reach of the bucket... because the arms and bucket can be manipulated individually.

The Tx on the 1550 is not perfect tho.... the track sticks are very easy to use, however, the arms and bucket are all run with buttons.... trouble is, to dig, you need to push 3 - 4 buttons at once... you need about 3 more hands to push them all at the right time....

This is where the scope of upgrading is good. You can actually buy a Tx for a 1580 and the receiver board for about $AU65... so you can make a 1550 operate more normally with the bucket and arms operating more smoothly with the thumb sticks... plus you get about 8 more channels for lights or other movements to boot.

The sounds are pretty good... with a faux idling diesel and a few other noises... at least no disco music.

Because the 1550 can, in fact, dig realistically, I have added weight (stick on wheel weights) to the opposite end to the bucket, to counter the weight of the bucket weight (loaded) and also stuck weights inside both the track chassis and the cab/turret which gives it a very 'planted' feel when digging.

The tracks, being rubber/plastic do tend to be loose on the track drive sprockets... when turning in sand, I have noticed the drive sprockets can jump occasionally on the tracks, but not always and not alot.

This purchase taught me:

1/ There is actually a cheap excavator that looks great and is easily upgradeable

Summary: A great first excavator of decent size for an adult. Would be a bit hard for a little kid to use. It can be run straight out of the box, the only let down is the clicking from the clutches in the arms, track drives and even the cab turning motor.... but the arms can be fitted with screw rams.... there are tricks to stop the drive and turning motor clutches from slipping and clicking so much. Very good value for money at around $70-$100 . The 1550 is obviously not as good as a 1580 (580) but is only 1/5th of the price... with some screw rams and a decent controller, a 1550 can be made almost as good as a 1580 for less than half of the price of a 1580. For a first excavator, the 1550 is very difficult to beat in my opinion.
Dec 08, 2019, 05:53 PM
The land down under
I have the 1580 and just got the 583, like you Ive wanted a hydraulic model for some time but are just too expensive. On the most part its cause the market is very much euro influenced. I do spend a lot of time watching YouTube.

Im happy enough with what I have, but am hoping they bring out a Dozer similar to the 580 and 583. I have looked at doing a bruder conversion but finding and buying the bits is costly. Double e have a dozer which I thought of modifying with more weight and perhaps more grunt, but not sure of how it would be to start with.

Next on the list is some sort of tipper, Id prefer something like a haul truck along the lines of a Volvo a30 or similar, but might have to settle on the 573.
Dec 09, 2019, 05:39 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Yeah, the market is full on for excavators... you can get rubbish, not so rubbish, pretty good and excellent (but expensive)

When it comes to dump trucks, there is only rubbish and not so rubbish.... here anyway. Same as bulldozers.... only rubbish.

It seems that excavators are usually 1:14 scale (1550) and 1:12 scale (580) but the dump trucks available are all 1:16 or smaller... the little skid steer dump truck (1540) is very small, the tipper doesn't tip high enough to let the dirt slide off so usually ends up having a human hand sort out the extra angle... the skid steer makes a very unrealistic drive quality.... the 6 wheel articulated loader looks ok, but is only 2 wheel drive, so gets stuck if you spill your coffee and it has to drive through it...

The lack of a good dump truck is why I am thinking of doing the Tonka truck body on an HSP buggy chassis... I will start on that soon.
Dec 09, 2019, 05:47 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
So far I have cancelled the order of 2 sets of metal arms.... I have waited over a month and still they are 'delayed)' (ie: not manufactured yet. I have been in contact with one (who is two of the sellers I have ordered from) .... he said that the factory has taken their money and have not yet started making them... why? because they need to make a big batch to warrant setting up for making them... however, the number of orders being re-funded because people (like me) are sick of waiting.... means now, the number of orders is reducing day by day... I am going to pull the last 3 sets I have ordered shortly too... and will put that money towards getting a 580 for Christmas.

When the arms do become available, I am going to buy ONE set... and do what the Chinese do.... copy... er, I mean 'reverse engineer' them.... but probably in aluminium.
Dec 09, 2019, 06:05 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Has anyone got a 580 (1580) from ebay? I am looking at the 1580 .... one end of the scale is this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUINA158...MAAOSw4pJdw4OE

And:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HUINA-SF...lar!4519!AU!-1

I believe the top one at $AU570 is metal tracks, metal bucket, cabin cover and motor lid... the rest is plastic (turret/arms) and screw rams....

The bottom one seems to be metal arms, turret, tracks, bucket, motor lid etc....

They both have smoker system, come with the hammer, bucket, claw.... they seem to have the same 23 ch transmitter.... I just want to find out the actual differences.... like, is the turret the same size (as the 1580 is larger than the 1550).... does the cheaper version come in the black carry case like the full alloy one?

What I am asking, is, is the 'all metal' one worth the $AU250 extra over the $AU570 version? I don't want to hold out the extra $250 and buy a rubbish version.... when paying the extra might get a great version? By getting my money back from the ridiculous metal arms fiasco, I only have to add about $AU60 to the refunds to get a cheaper 580..... if the all metal is SO much better, I would rather add an extra $250... if it is only marginally better, I will just get the cheaper one.

I see in the advertising, Huina describes the 580 (1580) as a compromise between the geared arm el cheapo's.... (1550) and the hydraulic 'mega buck' top of the range excavators...

So, who has either (or both) the metal/plastic and the all metal 580 .... is the more expensive all metal one worth the extra 25% it costs?
Dec 09, 2019, 09:26 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71
Next on the list is some sort of tipper, Id prefer something like a haul truck along the lines of a Volvo a30 or similar, but might have to settle on the 573.
I have just got a 573 tipper... will let you know how it goes. It is the most matching size for the 1550 it seems.... I got one for $109 in the black friday sales... they are normally over $130

Can you put a bit of info on your 580 please? I am interested in the rams they have? I have seen metal gears as spare parts for them... I am wondering if the main arm is geared and the rams for the dipper and bucket are screw rams? Very hard to find any info. The sellers have no idea.... they have never seen one and have no clue.

What is the oil used for smoke? Is yours all metal or metal and plastic? Did it come in the black case?
Dec 10, 2019, 06:28 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71

These 2 videos confirm my thoughts.... the 1580 and 573 make a perfect pair.

Not my videos... just found them on the intertubes.... kudos to the video's makers (same guy/shop)...

Dump Truck Huina 573 and Excavator Huina 580 great set (3 min 43 sec)

The best set huina 573 dump truck and huina 580 excavator V2 (2 min 18 sec)
Dec 10, 2019, 09:40 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Forgive me Lord.... for I have sinned!!

But... but.... but... it wasn't my fault! Honest! My car had a flat tire, I ran out of gas, my tux didn't come back from the cleaner....There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, Locusts! It wasn`t my fault, i swear to god!

My 'buy now' finger saw a 1580 and struck like lightening... before I realised what it was up to.... BAM!! too late.... ya just gotta believe me.... it wasn't my fault..... (add Joliette Jake Blues sad face here)

I.... er, I mean.... my (hair trigger) buy now finger decided to go the whole hog (dang it) and got the all alloy version showing the black carry box for $AU799 (I had a $60 voucher up my (finger's) sleeve) ... so I let it off with a strong warning and a wee slap.... and told it not to do it again....
Last edited by Calcifer; Dec 11, 2019 at 08:13 AM.
Dec 10, 2019, 09:53 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
Post reserved for when my (finger's) 1580 arrives
Dec 10, 2019, 10:22 AM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
The Huina 1540 dump truck.

The 1540 is said to be 1:14th scale. but it is very small... I would call it 1:18th at biggest... however, it is what it is. (edit: the video below says it is 1:18th scale) So, If you want something cheap to fill up with your excavator... the 1540 will do. It can manage to drive around a bit, but it is skid steer, so steers like a BobCat.... it cant really get around on grass... especially not long, thick (lawn) grass... it has trouble empty and even more trouble loaded.... mud, dirt, sand and any up slope kills it too.... bumpy or rocky ground is difficult to traverse also. If you just want to tinker in the dirt with the kids, I am sure they will enjoy it.

As said in earlier posts, the tipping tray doesn't tip high enough to let the load slip off... so, unless the back wheels of the truck are a couple of inches lower than the front (terrain) .... the tray will tip and the load will just hang there until you (or the kids) lift the tray higher to remove the load.

The tipping mechanism is simply a motor and a bar... push either Tx button and the motor cycles... the bar pushes the tray up then down again.... not high enough and if a grassy load or wettish load sticks at the back of the tray... the tray will stay up (until you help the load off)

The 1540 is better than a dog water bowl or ice cream container to fill with your excavator... but only marginally better. The only thing 'die cast' from what I can see, is maybe the cabin top..... the rest is plastic

Summary: As you will all know by now (all 3000 of you) I am a (sort of) growed up person... so, I am looking more for realism and ACTUALLY digging and trucking.... I was hoping the 1540 was going to be better (more fun) than it turned out to be... but, it is a TOY. For a small child, it is perfect. The kid can push buttons and it moves... push another button and the back goes up... they don't care if they have to help the load off... it is a $AU45 buck toy they will lose in the sandpit over time... lose the controller and just push it around...

It is a great toy, but, for an adult.... no good. Had I known it was 'skid steer' I would never have bought it. The Chinese are excellent at not mentioning these things. But, then again, if it had proper steering (proportional) and more metal... it wouldn't be a $40 buck toy

Nice display model tho... it looks 'right'

Not my video... kudos to the person who made it

Review of Huina 1540 6 Channel Diecast Alloy 1:18 Scale RC Dump Truck with Rocks & Wood (3 min 40 sec)
Last edited by Calcifer; Dec 10, 2019 at 10:27 AM.
Dec 10, 2019, 12:08 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
The E581 6 wheel tipper is very small, it must only be 1:20th scale.... much smaller than the 1550 or 1580 excavators.... and although this one can tip high enough to get the load to slide off... it's let down is the cheap plastic and that although it says 4 wheel drive on the box, it mentions nowhere in the 'selling points' that only the last 2 back wheels actually drive.... so the last axle has to push the other 2 axles (4 wheels) which are also carrying weight.... so, forget it in soft sand, dirt, rocky terrain, up any rise.... and they forgot to mention it has about a 10 meter turning circle. If you need to position it next to the excavator, you will need to get used to doing 50 point turns that take forever.

This purchase taught me:

1/ If it seems to be good to be true.... it probably is (a fully functional, decent size dump truck for $40)

2/ The sellers on ebay will write anything to make a sale

3/ The Chinese know what people want, but hide details like scale (they use measurements instead in some ads) and will not state that something with 6 wheels is actually only 2 wheel drive.... they tend to misrepresent by omission.

4/ There are no cheap dump trucks that are fun for growed ups.

5/ If any doubt, refer to 1/, 2/, 3/ and 4/

Summary: So, this is another disappointment for an adult wanting to do some realistic digging and dumping... but again (as it is a toy) .... for a kid who wants to press buttons and it moves a bit... it is fantastic

This is not my video, but it shows well the limitations of the one rear axle drive... it doesn't help that the guy puts a 4.8v battery in it rather than charge the 3.7v one... it is like it is on steroids... he was stripping the tipping lift gear. Anyway, lucky it didn't let the magic smoke out....

I had to change the video... the original was made unavailable. This video doesnt show how bad the 2 wheel drive is, but it shows the very poor turning circle.

Kids Toy | Dump truck, Box Full of toys, Construction vehicles toys for kids SY E581 (3 min 11 sec)
Last edited by Calcifer; Dec 16, 2019 at 04:14 AM. Reason: change removed video
Dec 10, 2019, 12:38 PM
Check my blog....
Thread OP
This video shows the downfall of the toy dump trucks.... you can see on the E-581 they have a piece of fishing line to pull it up the hills... even to get it to move.... one axle drive is of no use at all....

Granted, the 4 wheel drive (bogey drive) of the 1573 was no good either.... I cant understand why people want to run their (expensive) excavators and trucks in mud and water? There is no way I would run that arm and screw rams in that slop? The dipper arm would be full of mud.... the bucket ram threads would be full of slop..... the tracks and track motors would all get wet. I have just paid nearly $800 on my 1580... I will use it in sand or dirt (dry) and have fun with it.... but there is no way I will be running my toys in any situations that wet.

Sure, sit the excavator on a dry berm and dig a trench to let water out... but no way I would sink the dipper arm up to the rams in water and mud? They (in that video) are obviously a school or learning center.... so they care not if the excavator gets drowned or the trucks get their workings caked in mud.... I am sure they never paid for the excavator and trucks themselves.... Looks like they were new on the day too?

Excavator Dump Truck Construction - Truck Was Bogged Down G412U Kids Cartoon (5 min 28 sec)

Not my video, kudos to those who made it and put it on the intertubes....

Sad to see the 1580 and 1573 truck in that situation .... what a waste?
Dec 10, 2019, 03:08 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Hey Calcifer- ever thought of going down this road?

TONKA Front End Loader RC Conversion (9 min 10 sec)
Dec 10, 2019, 05:56 PM
The land down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I have just got a 573 tipper... will let you know how it goes. It is the most matching size for the 1550 it seems.... I got one for $109 in the black friday sales... they are normally over $130

Can you put a bit of info on your 580 please? I am interested in the rams they have? I have seen metal gears as spare parts for them... I am wondering if the main arm is geared and the rams for the dipper and bucket are screw rams? Very hard to find any info. The sellers have no idea.... they have never seen one and have no clue.

What is the oil used for smoke? Is yours all metal or metal and plastic? Did it come in the black case?
yes the stick and bucket are screw type rams with the main arm being driven by a metal gear. I got mine from Htdirect in Sydney, they are a distributor (HHQ) of Huina and have been around for years.

I can confirm mine is all metal except for the cylinders and hoses of the rams, the rams them selves are metal. You need to be careful on eBay, if something is much cheaper than whats on the market I would stay clear. All 580 1580 should be all metal, aside from that there is V1 V2 V3 and now Version 4 all of which have had improvements.

You will appreciate the controls of the 580, the control sticks are much like a real excavator. In the cheaper 100.00 or so excavators on the market only the Double E ones use the same sort of controls, in fact I have brought two for the kids for Xmas.

Im willing to buy a 573, even if I have to mod it for better tipping.

Quick Reply