Oct 16, 2019, 07:12 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490
TRC clubs will enforce FAA rules like flying at night,
Nothing to worry about then since there is no prohibition on flying at night in the recreational sUAS rules!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2019, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
No, FAA is following the law as written, which has NO prohibition on night flying and no speed limit for recreational sUAS.
One requirement for flying under the recreational exemption is this one:

"(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organizationís set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."

The FAA has not certified any CBO, so there's no such guidelines yet. But when they do get around to it, they can put anything they want in those guidelines. I expect this will include a speed limit and a prohibition on night operation.

(and of course with no such guidelines, all model aircraft flight is now formally illegal, but the FAA is not enforcing that)
Oct 16, 2019, 10:14 PM
Team Futaba
I disagree, so we will see.
Oct 16, 2019, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
One requirement for flying under the recreational exemption is this one:

"(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organizationís set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."

The FAA has not certified any CBO, so there's no such guidelines yet. But when they do get around to it, they can put anything they want in those guidelines. I expect this will include a speed limit and a prohibition on night operation.

(and of course with no such guidelines, all model aircraft flight is now formally illegal, but the FAA is not enforcing that)
I think the reason the FAA has not certified the AMA as a CBO is because the two don't agree on much. I think that until AMA starts to tell its members
what the FAA is saying instead of what the AMA wants its members to think the FAA wont recognize the AMA as a CBO.
Oct 17, 2019, 02:58 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
We'd have to update the old T-shirt design with the new, politically-correct answers:

1. Under 400 feet
2. Under 100mph
3. Five hundred dollars
4. Eco-friendly electric motor
5. No, you can't fly it
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Oct 17, 2019, 11:52 AM
CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Piece,
That's a good list and pretty helpful....except.... might be a bit harsh on #5. Not very 'inclusive' are we? Might be some hurt feelings, no trophy for trying, etc. Might have to rethink that one or we could end up on some antifa hate list?
Ken
Oct 17, 2019, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Piece,
That's a good list and pretty helpful....except.... might be a bit harsh on #5. Not very 'inclusive' are we?
Don't want unlicensed civilians test flying dangerous model aircraft without taking the knowledge test. And remember, instructing is not flying "recreationally" so you'd need your 107.
Oct 18, 2019, 08:04 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
Thread OP
It's obvious people aren't actually reading. This thread has ceased to be productive.

There is no speed limit for recreational flyers.
Last edited by T3chDad; Oct 18, 2019 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply