Thread Tools
Oct 15, 2019, 06:43 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
T3chDad's Avatar
Thread OP
Question

FAA: 100mph Speed Limit...


I've been seeing everyone talk about a 100mph speed limit. Being a turbine guy, this concerned me . I have read and searched Section 349 multiple times now and cannot find any mention of speed whatsoever. However when broadening my search, I found that the only Part 107 discusses anything about speed (with a 100mph limit). Part 107 doesn't apply to recreational pilots/aircraft.

So is it that others are just regurgitating what they're hearing and seeing, or is there something I'm missing?
Latest blog entry: Having Fun!!!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 07:52 AM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
There is no 100 mph speed limit in 349. The jet guy on the FB video making the round re-ignited this myth. Makes me wonder about the veracity of the rest of his video.
Oct 15, 2019, 11:17 AM
So Cal RULES
The Joel Wilson thing? 8 minutes of babble and no substance. Who were the FAA reps and do they have any authority? He keeps saying new CBO. There is not an existing recognized CBO so good luck. Oh and the finishing comment 'lets all work together' is hilarious. By together he must mean divide and vanish into the night like vapor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
There is no 100 mph speed limit in 349. The jet guy on the FB video making the round re-ignited this myth. Makes me wonder about the veracity of the rest of his video.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:22 PM
Registered User
It seems almost certain the FAA will impose the speed and daytime operation restrictions from part 107 on us, either via the CBO safety code or by regulation. However, there isn't anything yet.
Oct 15, 2019, 02:21 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
It seems almost certain the FAA will impose the speed and daytime operation restrictions from part 107 on us, either via the CBO safety code or by regulation. However, there isn't anything yet.
What evidence do you have to support that?
Oct 15, 2019, 09:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
What evidence do you have to support that?
The existence of the Part 107 regs is sufficient; there's no reason for the FAA to want to allow unlicensed operations to exceed the operational limitations they've set for licensed ones.
Oct 15, 2019, 10:56 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
The existence of the Part 107 regs is sufficient; there's no reason for the FAA to want to allow unlicensed operations to exceed the operational limitations they've set for licensed ones.
And yet they already do, and have. For instance, night flights. And also no certificate required for recreational flying.
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Oct 16, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Oct 16, 2019, 07:53 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Newsflash (to some) No one is going to obey the 100MPH limit, night flying is not going to stop any time soon, and unless your AMA club requires it, not many will take the "exam" if/when it arrives

ps... forgot 400'? only at an AMA club
Oct 16, 2019, 08:10 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Newsflash (to some) No one is going to obey the 100MPH limit, night flying is not going to stop any time soon
Night flying will be the easiest one for them to enforce. They just make visits any clubs which allow it, and/or threaten their landlords. Night flying by individuals will continue of course.

The FAA currently allows greater latitude for recreational flying not because they want to, but because they're so slow at doing anything. Remember they're months over the deadline for that test and haven't certified any CBOs yest.
Oct 16, 2019, 02:59 PM
lurking in the HOLE :)
KCV6's Avatar
I disagree, I believe the Aviation Authorities do and will allow greater latitude for recreational flying that demonstrates a desire to make best efforts to do the right thing. Some believe they are months over because they are slow, I believe they are months over because they are trying to accommodate us.
Oct 16, 2019, 04:41 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
This discussion thread reminds me of where the 100 mph limit may have first surfaced. It was in the minutes of the sUAS ARC, and attributed to AMA, represented by R Hanson. Statement to the effect that AMA considers model airplanes capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph as being (paraphrased as I don't have it front of me) "high performance aircraft."
Oct 16, 2019, 04:42 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Newsflash (to some) No one is going to obey the 100MPH limit, night flying is not going to stop any time soon,
Mostly because there is no such speed limit or prohibition on night flying.
Oct 16, 2019, 04:43 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Night flying will be the easiest one for them to enforce. They just make visits any clubs which allow it, and/or threaten their landlords. Night flying by individuals will continue of course.

The FAA currently allows greater latitude for recreational flying not because they want to, but because they're so slow at doing anything. Remember they're months over the deadline for that test and haven't certified any CBOs yest.
No, FAA is following the law as written, which has NO prohibition on night flying and no speed limit for recreational sUAS.
Oct 16, 2019, 04:46 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by abel pranger
This discussion thread reminds me of where the 100 mph limit may have first surfaced. It was in the minutes of the sUAS ARC, and attributed to AMA, represented by R Hanson. Statement to the effect that AMA considers model airplanes capable of speeds in excess of 100 mph as being (paraphrased as I don't have it front of me) "high performance aircraft."
There is a regulation for Part 107 pilots, 107.51, that limits speed to 100 MPH. But that does not apply to exempt recreational sUAS
Oct 16, 2019, 06:49 PM
Registered User
kell490's Avatar
The club will have to enforce unless they are on private land, but any club which has a field on public land will be in jeopardy. If someone complains that law's are being broken just tell the club to shut down. It happend here in AZ drag strip which had been in use since the 1960's was shut down and never re-open. The owner had done improvements without getting permits from the county he claimed he didn't need permits his lease was with the state "State trust land". The state told him his lease agreement says he must comply with all local, state, and federal laws. RC clubs will enforce FAA rules like flying at night, and if speed limits are placed as well. It would not surprise me think about it from someone at FAA office who sees a remote control JET going 250 mph is something which is a danger to the public. The FAA is in the business of "what if's". RC hobby has flown under the radar of the FAA for years now we are going to be treated the same as general aviation. Year after year new regulation.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 100MPH Speed Limit Ranandar High Performance 11 Jul 03, 2016 12:05 AM
Question SimonK - Setting Slower Motor Speed with Limited High Speed vangalvin Multirotor Drone Electronics 0 May 09, 2016 12:41 AM
Help! How to break 100mph + speeds with Reaper XL? lttakas Flying Wings 47 Apr 13, 2016 12:58 PM
Discussion New FAA 100 MPH Speed Limit Dadawada Fuel Jet Talk 20 Jan 16, 2016 12:31 PM
Alert Proposed FAA rule changes... 100mph speed limit! harrymc High Performance 74 Jun 01, 2011 06:27 AM