Oct 14, 2019, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Help!

HSP controller turn not working, but all else is good?

Hi,
My son's HSP electric buggy seems to have a problem with the remote controller. It will accelerate but will not turn.
If I switch the servo connectors on the car, I get the car to turn using the accelerator trigger, so it doesn't appear to be the car.
I pulled apart the controller (TR80330B) and checked inside, but cannot see anything wrong.
My next step would be to try to replace the 'pot' on the turn control.
Is there anything else I should try first?
I've hunted around and cannot find this fault anywhere here or on the web.
I'm no electronics expert, but I'm happy to pull things apart, replace and solder etc.
Thanks,
Bob
...and RC vehicles (of some persuasion) will never go extinct as long as there are 10 year old boys!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2019, 11:13 AM
Is the "D/R" knob on the transmitter turned down all the way?
Oct 17, 2019, 12:04 AM
Thread OP
I tried playing with all the trims and even reversing the settings etc. absolutely nothing, not even a hum which I often when adjusting trim.
Oct 17, 2019, 12:54 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
If the trim isn't working either, then it can't just be the steering pot being broken or so, unless the trim is wired in direct circuit with the steering pot.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Oct 17, 2019, 07:11 PM
Thread OP
Excellent point! I went back and examined the trim more carefully.
The trim is trying to adjust the steering (I had to lift the wheels off the ground to see the effect).
I guess that means it is the pot.
Oct 18, 2019, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
Problem solved. It was a mechanical issue, not the pot.
The rotary controller can be twisted too far and then drops into a position where it doesn't create a signal when turned. I presume my son forced it.

I discovered that when I pulled the controller apart and switched over the speed vs direction cables (they are on flying leads). It suddenly worked fine. Clearly not the pot.
It was then that I discovered the rotary controller can be 'over-twisted'.
Oct 18, 2019, 11:45 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Glad you got it solved. Trying to "chop" a problem into different causes, and eliminating these one by one, should usually lead to the solution, and this situation proves that concept once more.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!

Quick Reply