Oct 14, 2019, 08:46 PM
new to the sport
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid
Well done bracesport, although I should probably tell you to FLEE!! Save yourself, it is too late for most of us, but you have a chance to avoid the misery and fiscal impoverishment that comes to those addicted to this fiendish hobby - LOL, just kidding.

It's great to see your enthusiasm and look at you - already getting into PSS. You probably don't know what that means, but it is basically flying gliders based on full sized powered aircraft, like the Spit. I take it that the Spit hasn't flown yet, so it would be good to get it dialed in at the park first. Ideally for splopin' it would be better to take the prop off, but maybe leave it on for the first few flights to help you get out of trouble. You will find that the Spit handles quite differently from the DLG. Just fly it in gentle figure 8 circuits to start with, always turning away from the ridge. Vid of my PSS Spit flying in light winds at Raglan is below (if you click on the Vimeo icon and then my user name, there are a few more slopin' vids and other silly stuff).

Just sing out here with any questions]
Hi KiwiKid - super awesome flying of the spit - I have seen a few videos with Spits sloping, and yours looks great! do you think my DLG is flying to slow (maybe needs some down trim)?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2019, 08:56 PM
..........New Zealand also has great DS'ers!
Oct 14, 2019, 11:33 PM
Living the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracesport
Hi KiwiKid - super awesome flying of the spit - I have seen a few videos with Spits sloping, and yours looks great! do you think my DLG is flying to slow (maybe needs some down trim)?
Depends - light models fly a bit differently in ridge lift than they do in calm air or linear wind. The slope lift is hitting the model at an upwards angle, so some adjustment may be necessary. Yes, it either needs a bit of down trim or maybe a forward cg adjustment. There is also a thing called PIO (pilot induced oscillation) which occurs when you start messin' with the sticks, so just try and keep the inputs smooth and see how she goes.
Oct 14, 2019, 11:36 PM
Living the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by criterium1
..........New Zealand also has great DS'ers!
Indeed, but braceport doesn't need to go there yet
Oct 15, 2019, 12:28 AM
new to the sport
Thread OP
Quote:
Depends - light models fly a bit differently in ridge lift than they do in calm air or linear wind. The slope lift is hitting the model at an upwards angle, so some adjustment may be necessary. Yes, it either needs a bit of down trim or maybe a forward cg adjustment. There is also a thing called PIO (pilot induced oscillation) which occurs when you start messin' with the sticks, so just try and keep the inputs smooth and see how she goes.
I was wondering what your AUW is for your Spitfire and how much throw and Expo you run - mine is about 850g including motor and I currently have about 20deg (+/-) set on the ailerons throws.

PS - I checked out your Vimeo's - very nice - I have a long way to go!
Oct 15, 2019, 02:38 AM
Living the dream
Thanks - my Spit is quite a porker (we call them lead sleds) compared to yours, weighing in at 2.45 kg with a 1.4m wing span. It is a park flyer model from Hobby King that I did a PSS ridge soaring glider conversion on involving a lot of strengthening, a repaint and cockpit detailing. Model weight is a bit of a different aspect to consider in sloping as weight combined with lift gives SPEED whereas, with parkflying, lighter models generally will fly better. What a lot of slopers tend to do is take a variety of models to the slope as the conditions will often change during the day, with the wind building up till around 4:00pm when it starts to ease off. The performance of a model can also be altered by adding ballast to allow a lighter model to fly (and penetrate) in stronger winds. The ballast is added on the CG so the model remains properly balanced. You will get a feel for the best model to fly in certain conditions with experience.

As for throws what I generally do is set a model up with maximum throws on high rates and about 50% throws on low rates with 30% expo all around. With this set up you can flick between throw rates to (for example) increase the model's roll rate and then flick back to half throws for more sedate cruising.
Last edited by KiwiKid; Oct 15, 2019 at 02:48 AM.
Oct 15, 2019, 04:17 AM
new to the sport
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks - my Spit is quite a porker (we call them lead sleds) compared to yours, weighing in at 2.45 kg with a 1.4m wing span. It is a park flyer model from Hobby King that I did a PSS ridge soaring glider conversion on involving a lot of strengthening, a repaint and cockpit detailing. Model weight is a bit of a different aspect to consider in sloping as weight combined with lift gives SPEED whereas, with parkflying, lighter models generally will fly better. What a lot of slopers tend to do is take a variety of models to the slope as the conditions will often change during the day, with the wind building up till around 4:00pm when it starts to ease off. The performance of a model can also be altered by adding ballast to allow a lighter model to fly (and penetrate) in stronger winds. The ballast is added on the CG so the model remains properly balanced. You will get a feel for the best model to fly in certain conditions with experience.

As for throws what I generally do is set a model up with maximum throws on high rates and about 50% throws on low rates with 30% expo all around. With this set up you can flick between throw rates to (for example) increase the model's roll rate and then flick back to half throws for more sedate cruising.
Wow, your spitfire is deceptively big - I have been involved in a build thread for the Spit over at flitetest so I need to launch the Spit at the park - if it comes home in one piece I will also try her on the slope - thank you kindly for the tips - seems the down trim could be my next point of focus!
Oct 16, 2019, 12:12 AM
new to the sport
Thread OP
This is not a build thread, but I thought I would show you the tail feathers for my V2 DLG - they are 2mm balsa impregnated with epoxy, using 3D printed PLA mounts onto the boom - this will be a pull spring setup so I added a clear ABS sheath into the boom for the kevlar braided pull string (from the fishing shop). In any case, if I don't build I can't make slope videos!
Oct 16, 2019, 12:35 AM
Living the dream
Looking good - I find it very satisfying building models, although I don't do too much scratch building as it is time consuming, but I usually manage one or two a year - last up was a pss Vulcan, pic below.
Some of the guys that are into competitive DLG flying spend up to 1,400 Kiwis on their models, such as the Snipe!
Last edited by KiwiKid; Oct 16, 2019 at 12:43 AM.
Oct 16, 2019, 01:13 AM
new to the sport
Thread OP
Quote:
Looking good - I find it very satisfying building models, although I don't do too much scratch building as it is time consuming, but I usually manage one or two a year - last up was a pss Vulcan, pic below.
Some of the guys that are into competitive DLG flying spend up to 1,400 Kiwis on their models, such as the Snipe!
I know mine is a toy (or is it), but I estimate mine (not including CA or epoxy) at approx $152 kiwi, and about two-thirds of that is the reuseable control gear. The cost of the ship is more like $47 kiwi!

1- shaped and laminated main wing - 1.3 sheets FB ($4)
2- 2x 3mmx1mm carbon fibre flats - ($8)
3- 3D printed PLA fuse - material ($15)
4- 7mm CF boom - ($11)
5- Balsa feathers - ($6)
6- FRsky G-RX8 Rx - ($60)
7- 3x 5g servos- ($24)
8- 1x 2cell battery - ($16)
9- 1x BEC - ($5)
10- Kevlar braid - free from fishing shop
11- pushrods - ($3)
Oct 17, 2019, 09:17 PM
new to the sport
Thread OP
here is a link to my latest build - an old school Ridge Rat with a new school twist

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...w-school-tweak
Oct 18, 2019, 07:06 PM
new to the sport
Thread OP
I think my CG was slightly off and after remeasuring the 30% point the tail was down - I reset the CG and added a nail to the nose (no room inside)! I hope this balance will fly better! I also dialled down the rates on the elevator, as I think I was overdoing it!
Oct 29, 2019, 03:52 AM
new to the sport
Thread OP
the second outing included my spitfire and a homemade V tail sailplane

to cut a long story short - I met up with Jono Ashton at his slope site (another Kiwi) - what a cliff - it was blowing 40-60kph and I thought it was a no go - Jono put one of his ships in the air, a 2kg 1.2m V tail and flew it like there was a light breeze - after that he said lets give it a go - out came the Spitfire and he said it was too light - we added 400g of lead on the wing - after Jono trimmed it he handed me the sticks and here is the video (I actually flew it twice and he landed it both times for me) - KAPOW I can do this!

what a rush!

more video on my Youtube channel

spitfire (1 min 14 sec)

Vista Jono Maiden (2 min 25 sec)

[QUOTE=KiwiKid;42949517]Well done bracesport, although I should probably tell you to FLEE!! Save yourself, it is too late for most of us, but you have a chance to avoid the misery and fiscal impoverishment that comes to those addicted to this fiendish hobby - LOL, just kidding.
Oct 29, 2019, 07:15 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Stay away from the Jono guy..... He's nothing but trouble.

And if you can't stay away, at least hide your beer.
Oct 29, 2019, 08:29 AM
Living the dream
Well I guess that's about IT for you Phil
Some great flying models there and a good score hooking up with Jono.
I had been meaning to mention to you that there are a few fellow slopers around Wellington.
I flew with Jono for many years when he was in Hamilton - I think he appears three times in this vid

(2 min 19 sec)

Quick Reply