Nov 09, 2019, 03:54 PM
The pin-vice has run off again
........seems like good work.....and the tail landing gear can wait another day......
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2019, 04:15 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Gord and Dylan Are starting the wings. This weekend. Their work bench has been cleared, plans unrolled. They plan to go to the movie Midway this afternoon, which seems fitting considering we should be remembering the service of military personnel this weekend and Monday.

Continued with the front glazed birdcage. The black plastic trim sheet was lightly sanded and sprayed with olive drab paint and cut into thin strips.

The olive trim strips where applied to the acetate wind screen. Turned out ell enough, although no where near perfect.
Last edited by Spit100; Nov 09, 2019 at 04:49 PM.
Nov 09, 2019, 04:32 PM
Have you read this one? - its quite fun

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/pilot...82699048068609
Nov 09, 2019, 05:21 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
FWF, thanks, missed your earlier post.

The link to the Avro article is really great. Thanks is for posting it.

Jon
Nov 11, 2019, 04:25 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Spent some time cutting parts for the engine nacelles, and the front engine cowls. The winded window cleaner really helped bending the balsa.

Jon
Last edited by Spit100; Nov 11, 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Nov 12, 2019, 04:45 AM
Father by day, hacker by night
How large are those cowls? I'm trying to compare the weight with my glassfiber P-47 cowl
Nov 12, 2019, 06:38 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Jorn, they are 5” dia and 4” tall now weigh 1.3oz after sanding. Will get heavier once we add the blisters.

Jon
Nov 13, 2019, 02:15 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Doing some further work on the motor nacelle enclosure. Plan to sheet the entire forward portion of the nacelle and then decide on where best to cut access hatches to get at landing gear, esc, and possibly a hatch to insert the battery.

Battery may not fit with the landing gear installed.

The nacelle construction; is rather confusing, since the drawings leave a lot up to the builder. Just started building and assembling parts of the nacelle that I understood and eventually I began to understand how to make another part, and another part.

It is nice and light, and surprisingly voluminous!

May hold the main tubular sheeting in place with large rubber bands until much later in the build to maintain access to install other innards.

Jon
Nov 16, 2019, 03:59 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
The Anson fuse made the drive to Dundas this weekend with no hangar rash. Ed has completed the vertical stab which is now ready for sanding. Rudder is next up. I am fiddling around making the other engine nacelle.

Time to order motors and retracts. We are going with two 475w motors (total possible 950W) and 15-25 retracts that are for a plane up to 7 lbs.

Ed and Jon
Last edited by Spit100; Nov 16, 2019 at 04:37 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:28 PM
Good progress on the build weekend.

Ed and Jon
Nov 18, 2019, 11:20 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
Ed, I had a great time building with you in your workshop over the weekend! Lots of time to chat, glue fingers together and to the model.

The tail feathers look great. Will sheet the horizontal stab later once the elevator mechanism is installed within.

We also made some progress on the motor nacelles which are ready for landing gear installation

Rudder has been fitted to the fuselage, but we need to add a small amount of reinforcing as there is not a lot of contact area between the fuse and rudder.

Jon and Ed
Nov 19, 2019, 05:33 PM
Hello Ed & Jon, Its really coming along a treat. Nice to see it being a social activity as well.
Nov 21, 2019, 05:42 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Thread OP
FWF, ya we really had a good time building together. I hadn’t realized the ED had built so many planes when he was younger. He even built an 8ft wing span Condor!

Good times.

Ed’s did a great job and the tail feather are now ready to be installed in the fuselage. The opening in the fuse for the horizontal stab will have to be enlarged.

Callie graphics arrived two days ago and they look perfect. Just have to resist starting to cover things just to be able to apply the decals.

Spit100
Last edited by Spit100; Nov 21, 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Nov 21, 2019, 07:56 PM
Subscribed. Dad used to take me to Staverton airport in Cheltenham Gloucestershire as a young lad to watch the flying “greenhouse” many years ago ..... brings back lots of good memories. Thanks for re creating such a wonderful project with such skill. I think your winter project will be over rather premature at the rate you boys are going
Nov 22, 2019, 02:53 AM
Tim & I stopped in at Staverton last year and watched some students taking-off and landing at the flying school there. Its on the doorstep of the Gloster/Jet musuem.
There were a few interesting planes parked up but not flying that day. Had a feel of its heritage roots about it.

Quick Reply