Oct 13, 2019, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Altis Nano Won't Run As Switch

I can't get my altis nano to operate as a switch in my Radian. I have used it as a recording altimeter and was very happy with it. Now I'd like to use it to practice ALES in my radian. I cannot seem to find a combination of settings where it will turn my motor off.

Usually what happens is: I program the Nano, I plug the nano into the ESC and RX, I power my TX, I power the plane, I give a quick half throttle holding the plane in place, the prop has a 1/4 second burst of energy then coasts to a stop; if I have emergency restart on, I can then run the plane for as long as I want but it will never turn the motor off.

What am I missing?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2019, 04:21 PM
solastagia
That's how it works. When you are testing your motor with the quick half throttle, and then shutting the throttle off, that is the flight. If you want it to work, just plug the battery in, start the motor and launch the glider.

If you start the motor, you have to unplug the battery to re-set the Altis as a cut-off. Or for that matter as an AMRT start height recorder for F5J.

Kevin
Oct 13, 2019, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel
That's how it works. When you are testing your motor with the quick half throttle, and then shutting the throttle off, that is the flight. If you want it to work, just plug the battery in, start the motor and launch the glider.

If you start the motor, you have to unplug the battery to re-set the Altis as a cut-off. Or for that matter as an AMRT start height recorder for F5J.

Kevin
I should clarify, I go to half throttle quickly and leave it there. Then it shuts off after 1/4 second with the stick still up.
Oct 13, 2019, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Looking at the log for one of these tests, you can see that for some reason, it thinks the altitude has been hit almost immediately...0.01 s after the motor event and despite reading a normal altitude of 0.2-0.5 meters...

Name: NanoLog.PNG
Views: 21
Size: 31.8 KB
Description:

Name: NanoLogTime.PNG
Views: 7
Size: 7.5 KB
Description:
Last edited by bredler; Oct 13, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Oct 13, 2019, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
I also just tested the following with the following results:
  • F5J Contest setting (time only, no altitude switch) -> shut off at appropriate time
  • Just a timer setting -> Shut off when expected
  • Just an altitude switch set to 100 ft -> Never turned off...as expected.
  • Altitude switch set to 100 ft and timer set to anything... -> 0.01s flight.
Oct 13, 2019, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
Flashed the ALES firmware and now the timer works...presumably the altitude does as well. But this means I can't select all the training options like restarting flights, F5J altitudes, etc.
Oct 27, 2019, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
It was a firmware bug. They released an update that fixed it.

Quick Reply