Oct 11, 2019, 11:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Does Brass Work as Pushrod Wire?

I've been using piano wire for a long time now but I found that it's virtually gone except from online vendors. I went to hobby lobby in search of an expensive K&S package of piano wire but found brass wire instead. I used 1/16" diameter wire and it z-bended quite well versus the piano wire which would sometimes break.

I find that the wire is really bendy though and will not spring back into its original shape like the piano wire. I'm using it on the rudder only which shouldn't be a problem hopefully but now that I've used my stock of piano wire all up, what are the alternatives for those of us who want to use commonly found items as much as possible?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2019, 07:05 AM

Does Brass Work as Pushrod Wire?

Brass is not a good option because it weight and poor strength.
You can make a stiffer and straight wire using standard galvanized wire that you can find in any hardware store.
To straighten the wire, unroll a couple of meters (4m is even better and easier) and cut. Then fix one end to a static point (a pole, hand rail, tree , whatever) and put the other end in the drill chuck (bend this end with pliers to get more grip). Press the drill chuck a lot and then stretch the wire with the drill machine (stand firmly) and turn the drill on, keep it stretch while twisting. In less than a minute (depending on the caliber) the wire should be straight, then cut the ends.
Donít twist too fast or the wire will cut before straight . Use gloves and protection lens and keep children far from the wire because there are a little risk (very little) that the wire will cut and knock sideways, specially on thick wires.

This wire is not the best and bends easily but are more stiff than the brass.

For long pushrods, You can convine wire ends with bamboo skewers or 1mm CF rods or 2to 3mm CF tubes
Last edited by rajazo; Oct 12, 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Oct 12, 2019, 04:29 PM
Do you have a supplier of materials for engineering?
I use SS welding rod, 0.8 mm.
As mentioned bamboo can be used for a long run and is also stiff and light.
Oct 12, 2019, 05:15 PM
treefinder
Some Ace Hardware stores carry music wire. They also seem to now carry metric fasteners down to 3mm. Just picked up some machine screws and nylock nuts yesterday.
Oct 12, 2019, 05:16 PM
If it flies - I want one!
I have also used lengths of 1/16 welding rod with a coppery look - works fine and easier to bend than piano wire.
Other possibilities include carbon fibre rod with ends super-glued on as required, pull-pull with suitable fishing line or cable etc.
Oct 13, 2019, 08:03 AM
1/16th is fairly large heavy wire, in any description, for pushrod uses IMO.
Balsa or wood sticks are easier to source and lighter.
Oct 13, 2019, 12:48 PM
Space Coast USA
ACE hardware in my FL store. Yours too - https://www.acehardware.com/search?p...&categoryId=82
Oct 15, 2019, 07:59 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Have you tried a music store? I would assume it's called piano wire for a reason, don't really know tho for sure.
Dec 01, 2019, 05:23 PM
Eyeing up nearby bamboo patch
Dec 03, 2019, 04:27 PM
Bryan, Texas
Grainger also care music wire in 36", That is what I been using for the last 3 years.
You can order to the store and get free shipping with pick up at the store.
Dec 03, 2019, 06:05 PM
Retired CAD guy
There is always PULL PULL.
Good for Rudders especially but Elevator works well too.

I've used plastic coated , Stranded fishing leader line with Crimps.
Easy to set up and strength is terrific.
Dec 04, 2019, 09:52 PM

Pull - pull is SOLID AS it gets.

I use it on any thing I want to ever fly fast or over speed in a dive. 10 pound BRAIDED fishing line is so simple to set up on the flying surface. Use a larger servo bell crank on the flying surface. It works fine on lots of my HS-55 models. I put a loop thru each hole of both bell crank holes Tie a Square knot in the hole. SNUG tension. NOT over tight !! Snug as in no slop.

I can still slide the line in the horn holes if needed. Center the Transmitter trim levers set the surface in a neutral position................ A TOUCH of CA to 1 hole of the crank that DOES NOT have the knot in it. Locks the adjustment nicely. ..........................BUUTT.......... If you need to adjust the glued hole ?? A pull on the glued line breaks the CA loose. Adjust & CA again.

Pull -Pull has no bending & loss of control like wire does. The stuff is invisible with the tiny holes used. You will be converted.

The surface if foam ? Will need a way to spread the bell crank force out on highly loaded foam areas. I use a piece of wood dowel with a hole drilled out in the center of the bell crank. Epoxy it & the dowel into the foam surface. Done.

Quick Reply