Oct 11, 2019, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

FrSky DHT-DIY 2.4GHz Telemetry module (8CH)

The FrSky DHT/DIY 2.4GHz Telemetry 8 channel module is a very simple solution for bringing new life to your beloved older PPM CAPABLE transmitter(s). To further simplify installation, you may OMIT the included 3-position toggle switch and harness altogether, UNLESS you plan to actually utilize the telemetry functions. Just follow the two correct "non-telemetry" wires from toggle switch, back to binding LED/switch module and create a simple solder bridge between the 2 pins. VERY EASY to reverse this later if needed for a module transplant with telemetry re-enabled. This FrSky 2.4GHz DHT/DIY conversion module is currently the most economical choice available, while still maintaining a very reliable RF link to your aircraft. But don't expect it to LAST FOREVER! Get a couple of these DIY modules NOW and make sure you have a good stock of compatible receivers, because the R/C electronics industry brings constant tech/protocol changes very rapidly. I fact, I have very serious personal doubts that this module will even be available for much longer. FrSky has already discontinued the DFT plug-in Futaba type module, so who knows what is next? Hopefully there are several electronics designers/manufacturers who will HEED what I am saying and be prepared. In final synopsis, I like the flexibility and SIMPLICITY of utilizing older transmitters instead of constantly buying the latest/greatest new high tech transmitters. I am after all just an old school guy (half a century old) who deals mostly with just simple planes and helicopters. No need for the cutting edge newest tech, which goes way above and beyond my needs...and throws my money right down the drain. Hats off and many thanks to FrSky and Aloft Hobbies for making this great product available at a very affordable price. Note to FrSky: STOP WORRYING about the competition and just keep doing what you do best. You have more than enough fans to keep a great thing in the graces of very high demand. Don't RUIN a great thing with poor marketing choices, or the whole thing will inevitably backfire!
Last edited by KB1BBY; Oct 11, 2019 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2019, 02:52 PM
Well, it's too late already, I'm afraid.

They have ceased production and wherever you look, stocks have vanished.
Maybe not yet at some places that already sold them for over 150% of the true price, but even then the numbers will be very thin.

For me it's not so much the D8 protocol stuff becoming unavailable, but that FrSky hasn't come up with a good replacement in the same price catagory, before throwing the towel at D8.

And most annoying of all, they don't respond at all to any emails asking for information about this subject.

In Europe we were confronted with the rule that from 2016 on, all new equipment had to support LBT protocol.
D8 was excluded from this, so I quickly got myself a small stash of DHT's that until this day I can use in my projects.
That's because non LBT material bought before 1-1-2016 was allowed for use afterwards.
Last edited by Bruno van Hoek; Oct 12, 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Oct 14, 2019, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno van Hoek
Well, it's too late already, I'm afraid.

They have ceased production and wherever you look, stocks have vanished.
Maybe not yet at some places that already sold them for over 150% of the true price, but even then the numbers will be very thin.

For me it's not so much the D8 protocol stuff becoming unavailable, but that FrSky hasn't come up with a good replacement in the same price catagory, before throwing the towel at D8.

And most annoying of all, they don't respond at all to any emails asking for information about this subject.

In Europe we were confronted with the rule that from 2016 on, all new equipment had to support LBT protocol.
D8 was excluded from this, so I quickly got myself a small stash of DHT's that until this day I can use in my projects.
That's because non LBT material bought before 1-1-2016 was allowed for use afterwards.
SORRY to hear all this Bruno. I still have quite a few of the FrSky DHT/DIY modules...AND quite a few compatible receivers. Although at least 20 of my compatible receivers are just 4 channel generic micro receivers that use the old FrSky D8 protocol (inexpensive Banggood purchases). I guess I will just need to be very careful in choosing the best transmitters to convert from this point on. In some cases, it does require a considerable amount of effort to do a conversion that works and LOOKS good. The goal with nicer transmitters is to make them look factory original and not sloppy or looking like a poor hack job.

Quick Reply