Oct 18, 2019, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Iím adding little details as I can not for the experienced builders here, but for other newbies like me. Extra, seemingly simple details by other builders have been extremely helpful to me. Iíve read every single build of Patís, even for boats that I have no interest in, and have learned a lot from them, especially from the comments from other experienced builders.

That said, for newbies, I used one pump of resin and hardener for the boat bottom. That gives you about 0.8 ounces.

Greg
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Sanded the glass edges on the bottom, and glassed the sides. Working on filling, sanding, filling, sanding the top-side stuff all along....
Oct 22, 2019, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Small, 1.45oz. piece of cloth put on transom when i did the second coat of resin. Hull has now had it's third coat, sanding in between, and is now ready for final sanding and patching.

Cabin almost done, just need to do the hardware on the bridge. The windows, cabin roof, bridge, and rear door and window frame were all stuck on with 3M VHB double sided tape - that stuff sticks!! Gray paint in photos is primer.
Last edited by derda; Oct 22, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Oct 22, 2019, 07:36 PM
boat butcher
Lookin' great .

Mark
Oct 25, 2019, 05:53 PM
Thread OP
Instead of Bondo, which I used on my first three boats, for this one I tried Evercoat Polyester Glazing Putty. I've seen it mentioned in a few other build threads and those builders swear by it. It is a two part putty, and it is extremely smooth and "fine". It sets up in 3-4 minutes, and my first batch (80 grams) set up after I covered the bottom and one side. I mixed 30 grams to finish it, and I decided that in the future I will work with 40 gram batches. It needs 2% hardener so I'll go with 0.8 grams of it to 40 grams of putty.

Sanding is another story. The other builders said that it sands easier than Bondo - Bull Hockey! It took about ten times as much effort (literally) to sand off than Bondo - it is very hard. Nevertheless, I was able to safely use a palm sander with a worn out piece of 100 grit paper to get the bulk of it off, without fear of sanding to deep - it is too hard to do that. The good side is that the finish is beautiful, and glass like. I'll continue to use it in the future.

Anyway, the boat was spotted, sanded, and primed, and the next step will be to get the rudders and prop shafts installed. I accidentally deleted the picture of the putty on the hull, it is light blue instead of Bondo red.....
Oct 26, 2019, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Got the rudders in. They are brass with primer on them. Needless to say, I got everything installed before I put the rear cockpit side in.

Pat Tritle SS Minnow Rudders (0 min 24 sec)
Oct 27, 2019, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Getting running gear installed.
Oct 27, 2019, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
Running gear running....

Pat Tritle SS Minnow running gear (0 min 43 sec)
Oct 27, 2019, 07:43 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Super progress- the boat looks great! ...Every thing I have heard is that running two brushless motors from one ESC is not recommended. This is because the ESC figures the motor timing from info fed back from the collapsing magnetic field in its motorand can get "confused" running two motors. Now that said-I want to follow closely especially during water testing-my guess is that you will never notice a problem unless you're talking about two high performance motors racing for the "gold"
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Oct 28, 2019, 06:35 AM
Thread OP
It was Gilliganís idea to wire them that way!

I hadnít even thought about it, but you are right, there are a lot of Google hits that suggest that it is not a good idea - thank you for pointing it out Bob! In my video you can see that they were running jittery when I slow started in reverse. I am running one of those motors in my Dumas Osprey and it is very smooth at slow speed.

Even though I have a rescue boat, I donít think I want to test it. Iíve ordered a new pair of ESCís. Iím thinking that using the pair on a servo splitter cable will work fine, but perhaps I need to bind two channels on transmitter.....?
Oct 28, 2019, 06:48 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
There is no problem running two ESCs on a splitter wire, in fact that's what I am doing on my Mark V (with the close jet drives- differential thrust is not necessary) but you might have more fun being able to spin the boat in its length and crab walking.

That jitter is the ESC trying to pulse to two different sources of feedback info-all that I have seen (online tests) show that it won't hurt anything . Its just annoying if you decide to keep the set up.
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Oct 28, 2019, 07:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for that very useful additional information Bob. I think that this boat is going to turn out pretty nice, and I donít want any annoyances, so Iíll just go with two ESCís.
Oct 29, 2019, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Got the paint on (other than the clear coating) and the rub rails installed. Next up will be the little details and redoing the ESC's when they arrive. I'll do better close-up pics when she is done.....
Oct 29, 2019, 10:34 PM
boat butcher
Nice.

Mark
Oct 31, 2019, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
Just a minor update - working on the front hatch and cockpit floor.

Quick Reply