Oct 13, 2019, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Gluing up panels for the main cabin, and cutting windows. It wonít be long and she wonít look like a wooden shoebox anymore!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2019, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
Donít know why the pictures didnít post with my last, Iíll try again....
Oct 13, 2019, 11:07 AM
Welcome to he forum and keep posting the pictures!
Oct 13, 2019, 03:50 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
When you get to the fiddly stuff-don't forget to leave the anchor disconnected from the anchor line...Gilligan now knows what can happen!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Oct 13, 2019, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Donít worry, Iím pretty consistent at doing my trademark boo-boo on all my models :-).
Oct 13, 2019, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Well, sheís officially out of the wooden-shoebox phase and looking like a boat! I added some 1/8Ē hard balsa sticks to the inside of the cabin to stiffen it up. The roof panel is just sitting on top and not cut yet.

(Something has changed on my iPad following an OS update yesterday and the pictures are uploading in landscape format...?)
Oct 13, 2019, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Test picture post. I donít see any options to rotate pictures, but one is sideways,and the other not.
Oct 13, 2019, 08:43 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by derda
Don’t worry, I’m pretty consistent at doing my trademark boo-boo on all my models :-).
I'm sorry, derda-I am not sure if you quite got the meaning of my comment-There was one episode where they determined that they would have not been shipwrecked if Gilligan had remembered to connect the anchor to the anchor line before throwing the anchor overboard..I hinted that you do the same to stay true to scale..
Oct 14, 2019, 05:42 AM
Thread OP
Sorry about that Bob, I understand what you were saying completely, but I did a poor job of conveying my self-deprecating joke. For Gilligan it was the anchor rope, for me these days, it might be that I forgot to tighten the prop nuts.

A couple of weeks ago I went out back to maiden my Tritle Quaker Flash. For the first time in my life I had forgotten to setup the control directions (fwd / rev), and the rudder was wrong. So there, with the battery connected, I guessed that it was channel 2. Nope, how about channel 3. This was of course the throttle! I can tell you that the plane will go vertical easily. Fortunately the crash did minimal damage.......
Oct 14, 2019, 06:46 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
It happens to all of us ...infact , That is a great topic for a thread!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...C#post42944341
Oct 14, 2019, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
Got the cockpit side on, made some little stiffening shelves for those cabin ďwingy thingsĒ because they were pretty flimsy, and got the roof cut to shape. Now, letís see if my portrait photos upload properly....Nope??
Oct 14, 2019, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Did a few more small things today. Added strips to the end grain, cut some of those anchor-rope holes, got the hold down bolt for the front cabin roof done, and puttied some seams. Highlight of the day was when FedEx delivered my fiberglass!

Now, once again, letís see if my pictures upload sideways again.
Oct 14, 2019, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Nice little autobiography written by Pat on a Gilliganís Island fan club site, with pictures of the Minnow...

http://www.gilligansisle.com/minnowrc.html
Oct 15, 2019, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Got the bridge built, put the first coat of sealer on all the topside balsa, and built a stand today...
Oct 18, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Started the fiberglassing, with the bottom first. I trimmed the cloth so that it butted up to the bow stem, and put resin on that first. I then worked my way toward the stern, wetting an inch or two along the keel, then angling the resin back at a 45 degree angle toward the edges. The resin was thinned about 20% with denatured alcohol. I checked back after an hour to check for raised edges and wet them down (only had two this time).

For my three other "little" boats I typically had a fair amount of resin left over after each coating. This boat is bigger than those (28.5 inches long, not 26.5 as per the description on Pat's site) and I had just a tad left over.

I'll be working on filling the balsa grain on the cabin, etc., while I progress with the glass. I'll let this cure until tomorrow and then do the sides. Oh, I am using 3.5oz. cloth from Aircraft Spruce and Specialties.

Lets see if my pictures upload correctly (portrait) from my desktop computer.....

Quick Reply