Oct 11, 2019, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini-z XSpeed motor specifications - building MA-030EVO

Hey guys,

So now I have a ma-030 I’m trying to research brushless setups & how to make sure they are running efficiently. I have read that using the wrong gearing can actually make the motor run hot & inefficiently. The whole point of upgrading to brushless was to make the car run more efficiently & have less motor heat, but now I’m confused & concerned...

So the car comes with a 8500kv motor, but that’s the only spec I can find on it. I believe most drift cars run in the 3500-5500kv range, so I’m not sure if I need to change the motor to make sure it is efficient & geared correctly?

Can someone with some drift & brushless experience chime in? I know drift cars should be running the lowest gearing possiable, but I don’t know how to match the motor to the gears? I have also heard that “cogging” can be a issue but I don’t know how to check what motors will have more cogging then others?

Lol I thought I understood Mini-z but know I realize how lost I am bahahahah

Please help! Thank you

Best regards,
Blake
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2019, 08:53 AM
Low budget fun
I'd say try the 8500kv first. Remember, you are using it with much lower voltage than other cars that use 3500kv.
If that turns out to be too much then there are plenty too choose from. Surpass, PN, Scorpion , etc. You only need to solder the wires and 2mm banana plug tonthe motor.
Oct 15, 2019, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Hey Baaver,

I would prefer to avoid soldering, I was looking at the XSpeed 5600kv & 4100kv motors. I was thinking the 4100kv would be better suited to drifting, or does it not really matter?

I’m super new to brushless so I’m not sure if it would make any difference going from the 8500kv down to the 4100kv. Would the battery life be extended & have less motor heat?
Oct 15, 2019, 05:27 PM
Low budget fun
Do you use full throttle at 8500KV? You can pick the motor from how much you press the throttle or how much EPA you use. If it's less than half then 4100KV will be great, if it's slightly more than half then 5600KV is better.
Lower KV consumes less energy but in the same time if you hammer it, there's not going to be much difference. However if you feel like 8500KV doesn't have much low down torque or you can't control the throttle properly then changing it for a lower KV will be better.
Also in the same condition 4100KV or 5600KV will run much cooler than 8500KV for sure.

Quick Reply