Oct 11, 2019, 02:16 PM
Patrick Randall
Thread OP
Discussion

EDF with nosewheel but no rudders - takeoff technique?

I have an old E-Flite F15 twin EDF (from 10 years ago) that I am about to fly. When it was going last, as soon as the nose lifted off, keeping it on the runway centerline was pretty hopeless.
I wonder if I held down elevator until I was ready to rotate, would that work?
A valid technique? (A bit like a tail-dragger in reverse? )
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2019, 02:26 PM
Foam addict
The wind is going to decide if you can fly as you will need it right down the runway if you don’t have working rudders.
Pushing down elevator is not a real solution.
Install a rudder servo (or two).
Oct 11, 2019, 03:54 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
shorten the nose strut about 1/4-1/2 inch.
get it to a 0 or 1-2 deg negative angle of attack, then stay off the elevator until it has reached full flying speed.
Oct 11, 2019, 04:18 PM
Foam addict
Better still,
Chuck it!
Oct 11, 2019, 04:20 PM
Pro Hoarder
Yes you can hold some down elevator to keep the nose on the ground. Not much as you don't want to wheel barrow before take off..If there is hard cross winds keep the elevator neutral. Cross winds can be a pain with no rudder but can be dealt with. Hold aleron into the wind and let it build up as much speed as possible before rotating. No flaps if you have them.. I have many 70mm size jets with out rudder and cross winds are common at our field..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 11, 2019, 04:22 PM
Foam addict
Sure. That is why the only real plane made without working rudders (the Aircoupe) was so wildly successful. Unspinnable, easy to fly and only one pedal on the floor!
What a concept!

No, just spend $3 bucks and put in a servo to make it work like rudders were intended.
Oct 11, 2019, 05:06 PM
Pro Hoarder
That would be easy if the kit was designed for rudders which is was not...And I wouldn't trust a 3 Buck servo in a paper plane..But that is just my opinion...That is also not what he was asking....
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 11, 2019, 05:08 PM
Foam addict
Adding rudders to a foam model is about as easy as it gets.
I answered his question earlier.

Plenty of cheap servos out that work well. Here is one for example that has flown in a number of my 90mm and twin 70mm jets.
Oct 11, 2019, 06:01 PM
Patrick Randall
Thread OP
Thanks chaps - I am going to try those suggestions (no room at all in this plane for servos and rudders). It flew fine 10 years ago - I am thinking a gyro on the nosewheel and down ele might do it.
Oct 14, 2019, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallp
Thanks chaps - I am going to try those suggestions (no room at all in this plane for servos and rudders). It flew fine 10 years ago - I am thinking a gyro on the nosewheel and down ele might do it.
Gyro? Why not just a servo on the nose wheel............ without any rudders?
Oct 14, 2019, 10:05 AM
Patrick Randall
Thread OP
The nosewheel has a servo with gyro (in the FrSky Rx) on rudder channel. It gets off quick when it has a bit of speed just the initial bit of flight :-)
Oct 14, 2019, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
That would be easy if the kit was designed for rudders which is was not...And I wouldn't trust a 3 Buck servo in a paper plane..But that is just my opinion...That is also not what he was asking....

3 buck servo for rudder is fine since it does
just very little work on the ground. That is it...
Just me though :-)

Oct 14, 2019, 08:06 PM
Patrick Randall
Thread OP

No room for rudder servo(s) really

This was a very early (10 years ago) twin EDF
The thrust tubes allow no room plus the wight would mess it up.
Oct 15, 2019, 10:34 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
It will be fine. Way over-thinking. Your initial instinct is correct. Hold the nose down with some elevator until you are a flying speed, then pull back to jump off the hard quickly.
Oct 16, 2019, 07:56 PM
You don't need rudders, I fly a Yellow F-15 with twins 90's and it takes off and flys around fine with no rudders. Would be nice to have them, but you certainly don't need them. I'm more interested why it's pulling one way. I'd make sure everything is straight, batteries are about the same, fans are putting out about the same

Check to make sure it's not tail heavy, the shorter nose gear is a good idea so it sits level. You don't need nose high on a F-15, it'll rotate very easily

Quick Reply