Jul 26, 2021, 06:03 AM
Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker

Those who disagree are simply 100% wrong.

Joel
Um, pretty sure nobody has disagreed with ohms law or claimed extreme efficiency in a 1s system because of its voltage. Actually, Iím not even sure who you are arguing with lmao!

Fact: The Ultrix flies faster than most UMX planes when flown on the batteries recommended by Horizon Hobby. It has two motors with little props and will get an 8 minute flight @ full throttle on a 1s 600mah battery. Am I claiming itís efficient? No, just saying what it can do. You realize the battery, although being hit harder than a 2s battery, is twice the capacity of most 2s packs used in UMX planes? That has nothing to do with ohms law. Oh, but it could explain how it still flies fast for a decent amount of time.

Fact: 1s quads can fly for 25 minutes on a single 18500 cell. Is it a power beast? No. Is it efficient? No. But with that large capacity Li-Ion battery it can do it.

So in the end I donít care if my plane is efficient or not or if it flies on 1s or 36s, as long as the plane makes me happy flying it and the flight time is long enough.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2021, 08:10 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Ohm's Law is always perfect. Higher voltage & lower current is unquestionably more efficient than lower voltage & higher current for many reasons - including IR of the packs, motor windings, and the copper weight required to handle higher current without increasing overall voltage-drop for a given amount of power @ the prop. The difference is HUGE, and there is no magical bs that can overcome the absolute facts. In fact the difference is exponential. As the power formula clearly shows, half the voltage & twice the current results in 4 times the copper loss unless you lower overall resistance considerably by using much larger gauge wire, motor windings, lower IR packs, and an ESC that handles twice the current without an increase in voltage-drop - all of which adds a LOT of weight.

Therefore, a higher voltage/lower current plane of a given power to the prop & flight-time will always be lighter than lower a voltage/higher current plane of the same design, same flight-time, and same power to the prop.

Anyone who truly knows anything about electricity knows this is an absolute fact - as does anyone who remembers the switch from 6V to 12V in cars. The difference was way beyond astounding! Instantly, cars could start in -30F to -45F wx without needing a block-heater or tank-heater to keep the oil warm. Ditto for using 24V in commercial trucks & light aircraft. There's a HUGE reason why they went that route - and it's 100% due to Ohm's Law.

Those who disagree are simply 100% wrong.

Joel
A fascinating picture that I've somehow missed seeing before despite being familiar with Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's law, the resistor color code, etc.
Thanks for posting that, Joel, as it's never too late to learn something new.

The only thing I'd quibble about is your statement "there is no magical bs that can overcome the absolute facts".
If I'm not mistaken, politicians spread "magical bs" far and wide with unfortunate great success.

Peace my man, rick
Jul 26, 2021, 09:09 AM
Ninja
Sometimes called the WIRE wheel

W - watts
I - current
R - resistance
E - voltage
Jul 26, 2021, 09:53 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp

The only thing I'd quibble about is your statement "there is no magical bs that can overcome the absolute facts".
If I'm not mistaken, politicians spread "magical bs" far and wide with unfortunate great success.

Peace my man, rick

Lol...Sad, but so true.
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Aug 01, 2021, 11:24 AM
**I'm Battman**
I'm still clinging tightly to hope & patience.

JM posted this in March and deleted it soon after...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=67

"Prior to the pandemic world we released approximately two dozen new models each year...80-90% of which were all-new.
You won't have to wait long for the next ALL-NEW release, and there will be MANY more all-new releases (along with some updated/upgraded "old now new" releases) this year as well!
And some of them are going to SHOCK and SURPRISE many."

I hope that's still true!
For now, I'll be patient.
This is the Hyperion info that nearly broke my heart...

"We really regret to inform you that Air Craft will be closing at the end of this month.
Since RC circumstances in Japan, specifically in regards to the Laws, have been becoming more and more difficult over the years, and also COVID-19 have affected the condition that surrounded us.
So we've decided to withdraw from the RC business.
We appreciate your support and business for over 20 years.
We kindly ask for your understanding.
I wish you continued success and health.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,"

My current challenge is to find a quality battery manufacturing company that will produce batts for the UMX market.
That's a tall task, considering that the UMX market almost doesn't exist at this time.

---------------------------------------------------

Yes, I'm happy I purchased all those UMX Beast 3Ds when I did.
I'm sorry that all of them are Not-4-Sale.

The best medicine for me during this Covid time, has been flying!
I had my work schedule revised and have been getting in 4 mornings of flying a week.
My B3D is always flown the most.
Followed by my Sbach 3D.

It's my #3 UMX machine that surprises me the most.
The (1S) UMX Ultrix!
I'm blown away that I've been flying it for 1 1/2 years!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=222

A lot of R&D went into it.
Horizon also employed people from out-side the company.
It's a funky, awesome, flying machine!
It has advanced my 'in-your-face' 3D skills greatly.
Those skills have transferred over to my B3D & Sbach as well.
Front yard, night flying is a whole new adventure too!

My Ultrix 600mm will arrive tomorrow.

Roger
Aug 01, 2021, 06:05 PM
Just Plane Nutts
It's easier to make a great flying airplane model when you start with a great flying airplane.

Aug 01, 2021, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
It's easier to make a great flying airplane model when you start with a great flying airplane.

Want!
Aug 01, 2021, 09:44 PM
Flying @ G/L is fun!
RIP, Bryan...

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
Aug 12, 2021, 02:27 PM
back in the (RC) cockpit again
well, it's not from HH, but it IS considerably less expensive and looks to be at least as durable. This looked interesting and inexpensive enough to pull the trigger on. It's a profile PT17 Stearman from Chinese maker Dancing Wing (aka DW). For $70, get everything (including BRUSHLESS motor) except 2s battery and transmitter. Grayson Hobby in Florida (linked above) has the best price. Also available for about $85 from Amazon or Banggood OR you can get it without electronics for around $30. With the sale pricing, Grayson might be liquidating their DW stock so if you're interested, don't delay as they might not last long.
Aug 13, 2021, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror
Honestly at this point I’d rather not see any new models until they have FAA compliant receivers. The new FAA rules say your drone must broadcast a bunch of info by 2023, or it’s illegal to fly it anywhere but an FAA recognized field.

The whole point of small models like the UMX series is so that you don’t have to fly at fields but can fly anywhere. Yet all these models like the 600 Ultrix and the new Radians are not compliant, basically putting a less than two year expiration date on them. The big models can probably be retrofitted later with a module, but in a UMX where every gram counts, you are likely stuck if it isn’t built in already.

I want more UMX planes but they need legal longevity!
How likely do you think it is that you'll be flying your UMX foamie in your back yard or over a farmer's field or at an empty park and the cops will show up and fine you for not having retrofitted a new FAA compliant receiver in your plane, assuming they have the knowledge and training to be able to tell the difference? Are they going to ask you to use a blade to cut the tape and take apart the plane and show them the receiver before allowing you to continue flying?
Aug 13, 2021, 09:12 AM
Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror
Honestly at this point Iíd rather not see any new models until they have FAA compliant receivers. The new FAA rules say your drone must broadcast a bunch of info by 2023, or itís illegal to fly it anywhere but an FAA recognized field.

The whole point of small models like the UMX series is so that you donít have to fly at fields but can fly anywhere. Yet all these models like the 600 Ultrix and the new Radians are not compliant, basically putting a less than two year expiration date on them. The big models can probably be retrofitted later with a module, but in a UMX where every gram counts, you are likely stuck if it isnít built in already.

I want more UMX planes but they need legal longevity!
And this part in red is exactly why the thieves at the AMA did nothing to fight the FAA.
Aug 13, 2021, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914
well, it's not from HH, but it IS considerably less expensive and looks to be at least as durable. This looked interesting and inexpensive enough to pull the trigger on. It's a profile PT17 Stearman from Chinese maker Dancing Wing (aka DW). For $70, get everything (including BRUSHLESS motor) except 2s battery and transmitter. Grayson Hobby in Florida (linked above) has the best price. Also available for about $85 from Amazon or Banggood OR you can get it without electronics for around $30. With the sale pricing, Grayson might be liquidating their DW stock so if you're interested, don't delay as they might not last long.
I got two of them! One complete and a second $25 or so "body only" so I can make some mods. I hate the landing gear for starters.

It looks like Umx/HH have dropped their Pt-17 as well as all the other half decent ones. They only keep making the crap and expensive (brushed/coreless motor) ones that they're selling for $30 more than the Umx brushless motor ones..
Aug 13, 2021, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek
How likely do you think it is that you'll be flying your UMX foamie in your back yard or over a farmer's field or at an empty park and the cops will show up and fine you for not having retrofitted a new FAA compliant receiver in your plane, assuming they have the knowledge and training to be able to tell the difference? Are they going to ask you to use a blade to cut the tape and take apart the plane and show them the receiver before allowing you to continue flying?
Well, given that any plane under 250g AUW is exempt from the registration regs, etc, I'd say zero. The specific UMX plane I mentioned in my post is a profile fuselage - therefore all electronics are exposed and visible. It is 1000% more likely that I would be shooed out of a public park by a park ranger as a perceived nuisance. Any level of law enforcement I would likely run into while flying UMX would simply tell me, "you can't do that here, go somewhere else."
Aug 13, 2021, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerex
I got two of them! One complete and a second $25 or so "body only" so I can make some mods. I hate the landing gear for starters.

It looks like Umx/HH have dropped their Pt-17 as well as all the other half decent ones. They only keep making the crap and expensive (brushed/coreless motor) ones that they're selling for $30 more than the Umx brushless motor ones..
I strongly considered getting a second "body only" one as a spare but since retiring last year, I usually just go to the club field for most flying sessions because I can do so during week days when most poor schlubs are still working. So this one will be for the rare occasion I don't feel like driving to the club field and go to the park around the corner instead.
Aug 13, 2021, 08:13 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek
How likely do you think it is that you'll be flying your UMX foamie in your back yard or over a farmer's field or at an empty park and the cops will show up and fine you for not having retrofitted a new FAA compliant receiver in your plane, assuming they have the knowledge and training to be able to tell the difference?

I would assume the FAA reg is only addressed with questionable circumstances, such as discovering a crashed drone on airport property, a severe no-no.

Above all else, cases like this one are the reason we are suffering registration requirements: https://www.caymancompass.com/2020/0...irport-runway/

And situations like this brought us the position and/or ID broadcasting receiver requirement: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-gatwick-drone

So THANK YOU VERY MUCH all the selfish flyers piloting their quads in illegal manners, such as non-commercial drones without permits flying out-of-sight via video and GPS, and sometimes flying up to illegal altitudes (over 400 feet in the USA).

As much as I like FPV and way-point navigating, there will always be some joker ready to abuse it and screw things up for everyone else. Thank goodness we have micros.

Quick Reply