Oct 11, 2019, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Is Horizon Hobby giving up on UMX planes?

This might sound like a crazy question, but is Horizon Hobby giving up on UMX planes?

I just went out to their website and browsed using the "ultra micro" category, and I've never seen such a dearth of planes. They only have 25 product listings available, and 3 of those are Flyzone models on clearance that will be gone soon. And some of the remainder are duplicates in some way, like RTF and BNF versions of the Sport Cub S, or the Inductrix Switch Air which is more of a micro quad that you can add wings to.

There are literally no UMX WWII warbirds left for sale. Not one model - they've all been discontinued. Very few other warplanes of any type as well. And many of these remaining UMX models have been around for a number of years. Are they just reducing their investment in this space, or are they making room for a bunch of new releases?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2019, 12:44 PM
AeroDan
Who knows? It’s possible they’re experimenting with different types to see where the market leads. Just my 2-Cents.
Oct 12, 2019, 10:06 AM
Wonder if it's because they are doing some 7.4 volt WWII models like the f4f? I kept asking for f4f, f6f and f8x in single cell. I also asked for the dc3 & C47. I did final get the c47. I also got the 7.4 volt f4f. It's still a virgin?
Oct 12, 2019, 10:37 AM
Usually I got a 2-cells UMX airplane for my birthday or for Christmas but not anymore.
Two years have past since I got a UMX Timber then a UMX Aero Commander.
Maybe last year or this year I should have got a UMX Cirrus?
I am still waiting for a UMX EC-1500.
Oct 12, 2019, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru again
I am still waiting for a UMX EC-1500.

Still waiting, LOL

How long ya been waiting , since the Horizon 1527mm EC1500 has only been available for a couple of months & I doubt you even knew what the EC-1500 is until you saw that one.
I have the EC-1500 (great plane & easy to fly)
Also has a drop hatch.
I doubt Horizon will release a UMX EC-1500 & even if they do, having a functional drop hatch wouldn't be likely.

I say if you want an EC-1500, step up to the plate & buy the 1527mm EC1500.
Oct 12, 2019, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350
Wonder if it's because they are doing some 7.4 volt WWII models like the f4f?
All the WW2 models they just discontinued were 2S, and brushless too I think. I'd be more inclined to guess new receivers might be out in for additional SAFE features, but I think the discontinued ones already had safe also, so I'm not sure.
Oct 13, 2019, 04:53 PM
Sure stinks for those of us that like to fly warbirds and have a limited area to fly!!
Oct 14, 2019, 01:02 AM
AeroDan
I was praying for a 2S UMX Navion L-17, but now, who knows?
Oct 14, 2019, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Sure stinks for those of us that like to fly warbirds and have a limited area to fly!!
Yeah, I honestly wanted to get one of those UMX Warbirds. I was holding off until my skills got good enough to actually fly them (I was still at the high wing trainer stage with the UMX Timber). I had no idea they'd be discontinued, *all of them*, before I ever got a chance to order one!

I sure hope they will release more eventually!
Oct 14, 2019, 06:40 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
I'll throw in a vote for Horizon to continue on with the UMX series of planes, 2 cell and 1 cell.

Actually, I'd love to see a 1 cell product similar to the original UM SU-26 XP with some more advanced technology or even brushless 1 cell motor.

Even smaller micro planes would be really exciting to me. I'm not sure that's where the market is now, have no idea really where it is, but those of us
with limited space to fly or urban living smaller is better! But performance shouldn't be sacrificed
Oct 14, 2019, 07:02 PM
Planes N' Trains
personally i cant see myself buying any more UMX planes from horizon. For $129 you can get a lot more bang for your buck from other manufactures. you can easily get a decent model thats 3X the size from motion rc or even a decent balsa ARF. theyre fun planes but the price just isnt worth it in my opinion. now if you dont have the space for a larger model i can understand the appeal of a UMX plane, however $129 is still outrageous.
Oct 14, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10
personally i cant see myself buying any more UMX planes from horizon. For $129 you can get a lot more bang for your buck from other manufactures.
Which manufacturers have the same support and quality? I have to be honest, I've been very pleased with my HH UMX planes. I'd be open to considering others, but these are good designs and the addition of SAFE makes them very user friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10
you can easily get a decent model thats 3X the size from motion rc.
That totally missed the point though. If I wanted a big plane I would have bought one. But like many other people, some of the nearest areas where I can fly would be too small for a big plane like that. And I really enjoy the convenience of pulling it out of the box and flying, because I often don't have a lot of time to waste on setup. I have one large plane, the night radian, and it takes forever to set up compared to pulling a UMX Timber out of the box and slapping in a battery. UMX have a lot of advantages besides storage space.
Oct 15, 2019, 07:34 AM
Funny this thread comes up, I was just on HH website and thought the same. I doubt they are getting out of the UMX products though. I would suspect they might be working with either a new supplier or putting capital budgets towards EDF jets.

Not that any one asked, but the smart play by HH would be to develop a brushless all in one ESC/RX/ Servo board that will run either 1S or 2S. If a smaller plane runs on 1S (Like the T-28, Stearman, etc) then put the high KV motor in it like the ones found in the small brushless TinyWoops. Then the slightly larger models (P47, GeeBee, Timber, etc) could run 2S.

I really think the UMX line is a great way to get new people into the hobby.
Oct 15, 2019, 11:49 AM
I think UM and UMX planes have been a real money spinner for Horizon Hobby for years, I would be astonished if they dropped them from their product line up.
I expect they’re just clearing the decks for some new releases.
Oct 15, 2019, 12:12 PM
AeroDan
I’ve had relatively good luck w/HH products. I had an Ares micro Taylorcraft for quite a while (Dec. ‘15) before it gave up the ghost, and they discontinued it. I replaced that with the Rage Beech 17, and that was a COMPLETE DISASTER from the get go. I ALWAYS found myself returning, and NOW sticking w/the HH line. We’ll just have to wait & see what they come with next.

Quick Reply