Oct 13, 2019, 07:54 PM
Big gov never Works
Sorry, I thought that link had pics of the tube installation. It does not. But, there is discussion on the subject.

Quote:
ahhh yes, jofro chiming in with his infinite wisdom as always
Ha...he may enlighten us with a half doz vids...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2019, 08:00 PM
Big gov never Works
This shows the tube location, on the Hunter, as prescribed by West Wings.
Oct 14, 2019, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekit500
"tube and cotter pin method vs a hook,"
Sounds good. Details?

I understand the hook method. Normally the
hook is located about 2/3 to1/2 distance
from the nose to CG.

Could you folks give details, explanation about
tube and cotter pin method....
oh, I got it ....

thx.

Last edited by flylow2011; Oct 14, 2019 at 04:59 PM.
Oct 14, 2019, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
I have looked and looked for a hook or tube........please enlighten me. What is on the bungee line? Hook, ring..I don't get it.
Oct 15, 2019, 02:25 AM
Big gov never Works
The bungee line end holds the cotter pin, vs a ring or loop that engages a hook. Insert cotter in tube, slide plane back to keep pin under tension and not fall out. Actually almost the same as ring and hook, except, the hook(cotter pin) falls free. The previous hook is now a tube. Be sure to use brass for the tube, or CF. Alum will fatigue. Just match the tube to cotter with loose fit. I keep my bungees and rail/pedal at the field, so no pics. My bungee tag line to the model, used to have a split ring for hooks. Now I just thread the cotter on the ring and I can launch hook or tube types. But, eventually all my new builds will go over to tube and cotter.

Fuzz

Heres some pics of the tube in an enlarged Bell A4-F "stick" jet. Builds over in the scale kit/scratch forum, "Why not try a stick jet"
Last edited by St. Martin; Oct 15, 2019 at 02:34 AM.
Oct 15, 2019, 03:39 AM
jofro
Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I copied the PVC ones and it works well. Just noticed some of the planes came close to skimming the ground as did my Stinger on first launch so we tried raising the pull point and it helped. I see some trying to get around 15 degree angle as the plane hangs from a string but I have even more angle because I put the hook further back. Still don't get a high AOA. I had to go to full rate on elev also.
Mate, why don't you just hammer 6 feet pole onto the ground with the bungee attached to the top?
With well over 2000 bungee launches with dozens of various models over the 20+ years in my pocket I must admit, never had a bad one with my simple set up. Keep it simple, tho more you complicate things the more trouble you'll create.
With my little hot "Stinger", I use one to one (~1.5kg) pull tension, with very short 3m long bungee cord off the ground and the model rotates instantly.
Oct 15, 2019, 11:14 AM

I want to try your method. :-)
where is the location on the
" CG to front of the nose" line that you hook
the pulling ring.
others use 60-65% from front of nose.

Oct 15, 2019, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Mate, why don't you just hammer 6 feet pole onto the ground with the bungee attached to the top?

With my little hot "Stinger", I use one to one (~1.5kg) pull tension, with very short 3m long bungee cord off the ground and the model rotates instantly.

6 feet pole ??? Really ????
How about this 18 inch dog stake ???

Oct 15, 2019, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
St. Martin Thx. I was looking for a horizontal tube. So it is actually vertical or at a slight fwd tilt? If horizontal, cool. Vertical is going to eat into battery area on most of mine tho. Sounds simple to add tho.
Oct 15, 2019, 11:38 AM
Quote:
St. Martin Thx. I was looking for a horizontal tube. So it is actually vertical or at a slight fwd tilt? If horizontal, cool. Vertical is going to eat into battery area on most of mine tho. Sounds simple to add tho.

I believe the tube is not vertical but tilt
forward. ......
some Degrees ????

Oct 15, 2019, 01:06 PM
Pro Hoarder
It will work if vertical. The tilt just makes it stay in position a bit better
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 15, 2019, 03:29 PM
Worst bungee idea I've ever seen, it should be possible to make an one hand/arm plane launcher
https://www.instructables.com/id/Bungee-Bazooka/
Oct 15, 2019, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
It will work if vertical. The tilt just makes it stay in position a bit better

Vertical tube?
what happen if the pin does not fall out
of the tube? Dead ... right.
Oct 15, 2019, 06:04 PM
Pro Hoarder
Never see one not fall out..The pin must be loose in the hole ...But angled is better if that works... .I have seen the bungy grab the tail if the plane leaves too low...but that is a different story..lol
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 15, 2019, 08:32 PM
Big gov never Works
The WW Hunter is designed as strait, the A4 angled. Just habit. I use a dog stake, but it is ground level. I often thought a 4' brick wall would make a good anchor...

Quick Reply