Oct 11, 2019, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Esc

New to electric sailplanes and have a question, my lipo charger charges to 8.4 volts and my ESC won't work unless I discharge to 7.6 volts? It will beep, maybe spin for 2-3 seconds then quit at the 8.4 volts but works fine if discharged to 7.6. Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2019, 12:16 PM
The typical ESC will handle higher voltage than that. A 3s lipo is 11.1v. I'd guess either defective or some timing or startup programming issue.

What kind of esc and what amp rating is it?
Oct 11, 2019, 12:26 PM
I suspect the ESC has been programmed for two cells and not auto. It may also be programmed for NiMh!
Oct 12, 2019, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
I programed for two cells, think I'll reprogram for two and try again. Hate to waist that power on the discharger. You say it should work at 8.4 volts if programed for two cells? It's a Suppo 20 amp ESC w/BEC. Thanks again.
Oct 12, 2019, 10:30 AM
B for Bruce
I've got a couple of Suppo ESC's and did not need to program anything. They self detected the number of lipo cells just fine. Perhaps you accidentally set the upper limit to some number of NiMH pack or something odd like that?
Oct 13, 2019, 02:51 PM
DJ Aerotech

Suppo instructions

Check out the attached info, may be helpful
Joe
Oct 14, 2019, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
4. To select, move the throttle stick in off position, between Beeps repeat. Then you
will hear a confirmation sound.

between beeps repeat, as in do that twice? I think not, just off throttle to confirm and exit programing. At least that's what I did and still have to dump from 8.4 to 7.6 volts for it to work. Does work fine at 7.6 volts.
Oct 14, 2019, 02:49 PM
B for Bruce
The translation in the instructions is horrible. But it seems like they want you to flick the throttle to low between the first and second repetition during the 0.5 second pause where the comma is in the table? I guess the confirmation tone would indicate that the mode you flicked the stick for is confirmation that it has been selected or in the case of the brake function switched to the other mode.

So after the startup beeps listen for the first single pulse and flick to low throttle and see if you get confirmation tones that it has selected the Lipo mode?

At least that's how I'm reading it. I can see it being something else too. Like listen for the single beep, pause, singal beep THEN flick the stick down before it has a chance to make the first set for the next option? My thinking is that the first beeo set indicates that the acceptance window is open. The second beep set for the option indicates that the acceotance window is closed. Then pause and the next option opens with the first beep set for that option. The occurance of the confirmation tone whatever that might be, would suggest which is correct.

It is interesting to note that it seems like they deliver them in NiMh mode as default. Or this is a very old page of instructions.

Quick Reply