Oct 10, 2019, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Guillows Hellcat

Some clips of my recent Guillows Hellcat build and flight. I'm using 720 brushed power on a one cell lipo in place of rubber, but still free flight.

Guillows Hellcat Flight (1 min 38 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2019, 07:23 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Wow that is a superb flyer!
Oct 11, 2019, 12:43 PM
B for Bruce
Nice clean job and a great flight! ! ! ! What's not to like?

The power was nigh on perfect. Just a very slow and easy climb.

And what is that unit that controls the motor run time?
Oct 11, 2019, 12:43 PM
B for Bruce
Double post removed....
Oct 11, 2019, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Rather than a timer I use this micro receiver/esc combo for $16. It's kind of nice as if it's drifting off the field I can cut the power early... of if it's getting to high I pull the power back a bit. I bind it with one of those cheap transmitters that come with the RTF planes like the Vapor.

https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-4CH-Mi...r_warehouse=CN

I'll like to add as well I was super impressed with the quality of the new laser cut Guillows kit.... perfect cutting, quality wood, and perfect fit... went together really fast. So much better than the old die cut kits... and a steal of a deal at less than $15 on line..
Last edited by Mellowdave; Oct 11, 2019 at 05:50 PM.
Oct 11, 2019, 06:33 PM
Not surprising that it flies well. The Hellcat and Avenger are the best fliers in the 500 series and you built it straight. That little receiver/esc combination looks like a neat product. One question though, why are the insignia on upside down?

KF
Oct 11, 2019, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
A mistake 😊
Oct 11, 2019, 10:15 PM
B for Bruce
I thought it looked a bit like one of the Rx and ESC combination boards. And yeah, for sport flying in a tighter area your solution makes a LOT of sense. All the fun of free flight but with a motor run feature that greatly limits the risk.
Oct 12, 2019, 07:07 PM
Oh c'mon. It's not free flight if you don't have silicone, green soap, or castor oil on your hands! ;-)

A beautiful flight, though. I gather that field is a bit larger than it looks.

BMatthews:
The radio installation is a lot easier that way, too!
Oct 14, 2019, 07:24 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyfritters
......why are the insignia on upside down?
I must admit, that shouts at me every time!!!
Oct 14, 2019, 11:00 AM
Hello, I really enjoy building the Laser cut 500 series warbirds, so this thread caught my interest!
A few questions about your power system:
I assume 720 is a 7mm dia x 20mm long...is this direct drive or a gearbox? From perhaps from a Parkzone or similar micro flyer? Preferred prop? Just trying to get some details as you seem to have nailed the power required to fly these very well! Thanks for any additional info you can supply.
Oct 14, 2019, 04:46 PM
B for Bruce
Links to "also bought" products at the link to the Rx board showed these too.

motor with speed reduction and 14cm/5.5" prop for less than $5

There's also 1.7gm servos that could be used for a "return to sender" rudder control along with the throttle for a paltry sum as well.
Oct 15, 2019, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
The Hellcat is using a 720 coreless motor with a 65mm propeller on direct drive. I have also used the slightly bigger 8520 which has a bit more thrust but is heavier. You can also play with different prop sizes. I go with direct drive instead of geared so save weight, simplicity, and a better power of glide due to the lower drag from a small prop. Here's a link to good motor weight and thrust info... check ebay for cheap packs of 4 for $10 or so.

https://micronwings.com/Products/Sec...rs/index.shtml

Many of these kits are tail heavy with rubber, so converting to electric motor and battery in the nose I try to get it balanced with no additional ballast. If you go with a very small battery (50mah) and no servoes like in the hellcat my flying weight is about 30 grams which is about the same as a rubber version... I believe adding servoes, control surfaces, and big props on gears make them to heavy to fly well.
Oct 16, 2019, 08:32 AM
Thanks Mellowdave, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for...I like the priority on keeping light, and the more simple gear install. The small prop with less torque steer and lower glide drag is bonus two!
I found 12 props on eBay really cheap and also 4 motors...working on a discount for a quantity of 3 recievers! If that deal goes thru I got some fun building to do😁
Oct 18, 2019, 09:56 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
I started to build a comet hellcat but buggered the oval fuse but its in one piece , the wings.tail pieces have been covered
if anyone wants to take it on send PM they can have it for postage cost, will never finish it.

Quick Reply