Oct 10, 2019, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Pilot RC Viper Jet 1.8M

Hello guys,

After a few weeks my Pilot Rc jet finally arrived. I pretty much got lucky because the factory had one ready in the Mercedes AMG paint scheme and Global Jet club had a container shipping so that cut the waiting time in 1/2. The plane was ordered at the end of July and arrived the 28th of Sept. Big Thanks to Mike Deni Lin and Carrie Lay for getting this so quick to me!
Last edited by Gamalier; Oct 10, 2019 at 10:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2019, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Plane build started on Sept 30th and is almost finished, so bear with me while I set up the build thread. I have a lot of pictures and I need to start organizing them in order to post them.
Oct 10, 2019, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
Like everybody would do, once I saw the box I opened and put it together to see the size and the features. Plane came with all the control horns already glued and painted so all the tedious cut, mask and glue horns was done at the factory. I bought the kit with electric retracts version. The one posted in Pilot-RC.com is a one piece fuselage. When I opened the box and saw a 2 piece fuselage I thought they have sent me the 2m version by mistake!

Pilot Rc later confirmed the new ones are 2 piece fuselage.
Oct 10, 2019, 04:36 PM
That will simply buff out
Looks very nice - love that colour scheme!

What are you going to power this with and what servos etc to be used?
Oct 10, 2019, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Jet Central Rabbit and Futaba SBus servos in all surfaces. All the servos are high voltage S9177 (ailerons/flaps) and BLS173SV (elevators/rudder/steering). The S9177 are full size and the BLS are minis.
Last edited by Gamalier; Oct 10, 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Oct 10, 2019, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Well, since I quit flying 7yrs ago and I turned my old work bench into a reloading station. I had to build a new bench to store my big plane and build the jet so I ended up doing this. Got it ready and laid out some movers blanket to protect the jet's finish.
Oct 10, 2019, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
Then I started building the wings and tail section (rudder/elevators). Nothing major there besides you need a thin long nose pliers to pull the wiring on the elevators.
Oct 10, 2019, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
From there it was time to put together the landing gear. Nose gear has pre drilled locations so is just put and screw in place. The wing blocks for the landing gear is really beefy. I used a center drill (pic 6) to make sure the initial holes didn't shift while I was drilling them. After they were started I used a regular drill. Once the gear was set it was time to finish setting up the wires thru the openings.
Oct 11, 2019, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Routing the wiring on the wings is really easy on this plane. Just make a hook using a piece of tie wire and pull them thru the opening.
Oct 11, 2019, 12:35 PM
Nice to see your build, Mine should be here at the end of October. I went with the Blue and white Scheme as they had one in stock.
Oct 11, 2019, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
I started setting up the main components (batteries, ECU, retracts controller, receiver and the wiring. After I set the factory UAT I noticed the fittings and fuel line were kind of low and the fill up line was also below the fuel line in the main tank. To avoid issues I made a dummy gear tray to bring the UAT higher and now the lines are at the same height as the main tank and the fill up is the highest one. I finalized the equipment lay out (for now) ;-)
Last edited by Gamalier; Oct 11, 2019 at 01:07 PM.
Oct 11, 2019, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh1989
Nice to see your build, Mine should be here at the end of October. I went with the Blue and white Scheme as they had one in stock.
You will be pleased with the quality! Only thing I didn't like is that they placed the UAT kind of low and the filter faces the front on the plane. Besides that, this plane is almost an ARF. Builds up super quick. Mine is like 2-3 days from been completely done. Been building for the past week.
Oct 11, 2019, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
After I had everthing set in a position I was happy with I cut the final tray on the milling machine and fixed the components in their final locations. Also made a tray for the UAT, that way I can use the factory one for CG set up and then install a new one I ordered online.
Oct 11, 2019, 03:19 PM
That will simply buff out
Looks like there is plenty of room in the fuse which is nice

I wonder why they are using the older style UAT when they have this style available??
Oct 11, 2019, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
Your guess is as good as mine. I thought it was coming with that UAT and just got the plastic bottle one. This is the way it sits from the factory. You can see in the picture that the line from the main tank into the UAT sits higher and the fill fitting is also below. That's why I change it to keep everything the same height and the fill one higher than everything to avoid issues.
Last edited by Gamalier; Oct 11, 2019 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply