Oct 11, 2019, 05:52 AM
Thread OP
A Dlg is a good idea for training the low altitude flying? Or is it just to different to fly?
I'm buying one for that
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2019, 06:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
McAffee did not let me go there - Malicious Site
Link fixed
Oct 11, 2019, 07:06 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
a dlg will help you learn to read the air. my big glider skills improved by leaps when i learned to fly dlg.
Oct 19, 2019, 10:41 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I was about to say the same thing.... Learn to fly a hand launch glider well and you’ll be amazed at how much better of an all around pilot you become. Why? I’m not completely sure but I think it has a lot to do with how much closer the plane is to you. It’s easier to see what’s going on. You have to get good at ground reading the air but the feedback from that read is nearly instantaneous. You throw the plane and if you made a good read, you’re off to the races. If not, you’re landing inside a minute or two to try again. Oh, and when you get good at catching your plane, you’ll find making spot landings with your big plane is easier.. And the best part of all, handlaunch gliders are a lot of fun.
Oct 19, 2019, 11:39 PM
The Old Buzzard's Soaring Book is good on the subject of thermals. If you can find it, or the columns in Model Builder that it's based on, you may find it useful.
Oct 20, 2019, 04:29 PM
Tragic case
The old buzzards book, at least the first half, is a great read. I like Thornburg’s philosophy and his writing style.
Oct 21, 2019, 07:09 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Get a streamer and put it on your antenna .. and then follow the streamer to lift
Oct 21, 2019, 10:06 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Fly downwind...don't make the mistake of hanging out upwind, waiting for lift to blow through.

Besides, getting back from upwind loses all your altitude, with no hope of catching lift on the way back.

Catching lift upwind is just relying on luck, unless you have a read.
Oct 21, 2019, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
That´s interesting , I have read about higher posibilities to find lift downwind , and I can imagine specially in the first 30 sec when you have power to search
When it is windy I usually do the oposite, flying upwind as far as I can , thinking in a very fast return... then I`m wrong ¡?
Oct 21, 2019, 03:53 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
Catching lift upwind is just relying on luck, unless you have a read.
You mean flying downwind without a read isn’t just relying on luck? The only thing that makes flying downwind a better bet is that you were able to feel the lift pass by you. Without the ability to read the air at all, any flight is just relying on luck.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Oct 21, 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Oct 21, 2019, 06:08 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
You mean flying downwind without a read isn’t just relying on luck? The only thing that makes flying downwind a better bet is that you were able to feel the lift pass by you. Without the ability to read the air at all, any flight is just relying on luck.
BS.
Lift is always downwind, And getting back from downwind is a lot easier to find lift when you are coming back, and, without losing as much altitude.

Newbie's fly upwind for lift. Experts always go deep downwind.
Oct 21, 2019, 06:13 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Z
That´s interesting , I have read about higher posibilities to find lift downwind , and I can imagine specially in the first 30 sec when you have power to search
When it is windy I usually do the oposite, flying upwind as far as I can , thinking in a very fast return... then I`m wrong ¡?
When it is windy your 1st turn will take you far downwind... Better to turn right away and drift with the wind... Let the wind take you to lift.
Oct 21, 2019, 06:19 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Z
If you wanna win in a contest, make a decision never to fly up wind without a solid read.
Oct 21, 2019, 07:08 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
BS.
Lift is always downwind, And getting back from downwind is a lot easier to find lift when you are coming back, and, without losing as much altitude.

Newbie's fly upwind for lift. Experts always go deep downwind.
“Lift is always down wind.” Really? That’s hilarious. The occurance of lift is no more likely down wind than it is anywhere else around you unless the thermal generator is where you’re standing. It’s just that it’s easier to find lift down wind. Sometime Kenny, go really deep during a sink cycle and tell me how easy it was to find the lift and get back to the field. Land outs don’t generally happen from being too far up wind. It’s the other way around.

Certainly, lift only travels in one direction and that’s with the wind. You can use that to your advantage as long as you’re paying attention to the lift cycles and if there is a tree row down wind it can be even better because the thermal can get hung up temporarily on the trees but it’s not a universal truth that the lift is always down wind.
Oct 21, 2019, 07:14 PM
turn, turn, turn.
You wanna win contests?. ..Go downwind... That's where all the action is.

Quick Reply