Thread Tools
Oct 20, 2019, 03:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie
That is why I have been advocating we lobby congress to pass a tiered system, similar to amateur radio where increasing knowledge/skills/testing brings more spectrum, more modes, more transmitting power etc.
If I wanted to join a guild I'd join a guild; that's work, not recreation. Amateur radio kept the riff-raff out for years with difficult Morse Code tests (regardless of whether you ever wanted to use code); they still do require code for some levels. I'm not interested in maintaining exclusivity. And if I wanted to deal with model paperwork and procedures, I'd have taken up model railroading.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 04:43 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
If I wanted to join a guild I'd join a guild; that's work, not recreation. Amateur radio kept the riff-raff out for years with difficult Morse Code tests (regardless of whether you ever wanted to use code); they still do require code for some levels. I'm not interested in maintaining exclusivity. And if I wanted to deal with model paperwork and procedures, I'd have taken up model railroading.
There are no code requirements for current Amateur Radio licenses.
Oct 20, 2019, 11:32 PM
pushing the envelope
rcgroupie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
If I wanted to join a guild I'd join a guild; that's work, not recreation. Amateur radio kept the riff-raff out for years with difficult Morse Code tests (regardless of whether you ever wanted to use code); they still do require code for some levels. I'm not interested in maintaining exclusivity. And if I wanted to deal with model paperwork and procedures, I'd have taken up model railroading.
Please don't take up SCUBA diving! They have this 'exclusivity' thing where they won't fill your tank unless you have a cert card proving knowledge, training and experience.

Seriously, there is a reason for regulations in amateur radio - so you don't interfere with things like commercial broadcasting or emergency communications. As for morse code, there is a guy who 'worked' 400 countries with 5 watts CW (morse code) and a simple wire antenna. 10 watts on an SSB CB radio (voice) might get you a trucker at the next fuel stop.
Oct 21, 2019, 12:02 AM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie
Please don't take up SCUBA diving! They have this 'exclusivity' thing where they won't fill your tank unless you have a cert card proving knowledge, training and experience.
sounds like some lawyers got in there. All about liability.

Quote:
Seriously, there is a reason for regulations in amateur radio - so you don't interfere with things like commercial broadcasting or emergency communications. As for morse code, there is a guy who 'worked' 400 countries with 5 watts CW (morse code) and a simple wire antenna. 10 watts on an SSB CB radio (voice) might get you a trucker at the next fuel stop.
I worked a station in Yorkshire U.K today from SOCAL on my Yaesu FTM-400 on 70-cm. Used IRLP, there's a whole world of amateur radio out there beside CW.
Oct 21, 2019, 12:46 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie
Please don't take up SCUBA diving! They have this 'exclusivity' thing where they won't fill your tank unless you have a cert card proving knowledge, training and experience.

Seriously, there is a reason for regulations in amateur radio - so you don't interfere with things like commercial broadcasting or emergency communications. As for morse code, there is a guy who 'worked' 400 countries with 5 watts CW (morse code) and a simple wire antenna. 10 watts on an SSB CB radio (voice) might get you a trucker at the next fuel stop.
JT65 and FT8 are the leading modes for DX but CW still has a following. Broadcast stations are more prone to interfere with Amateur radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
sounds like some lawyers got in there. All about liability.



I worked a station in Yorkshire U.K today from SOCAL on my Yaesu FTM-400 on 70-cm. Used IRLP, there's a whole world of amateur radio out there beside CW.
I like the FTM400, good rig. All Yaesu in my shack.
Oct 21, 2019, 01:11 AM
Registered User
aeronaut999's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray93J
Actually the FAA does not consider remote ID vaporware., notice of proposed rule making will be in Dec. They put up this chart at the DAC meeting just this week. When you listen to the presentation, vaporware was never used.

As far as the FAA being concerned about 5 pound balsa airplanes, they sure are and are hiring people for these jobs. Their concern is someone with a toy airplane hitting a manned airplane. During the same DAC meeting the term "Clueless and Careless" was being used throughout the day. There was no doubt these comments were directed to the recreational users.

All of this is moving far faster than the AMA wants you to know. Knowledge test will be finished by the end of the year. 40 companies have responded to the RFI to administer these tests.

This is all coming no matter what your hear or think, it is coming very fast.
Yikes. I have a bad feeling that you are right.
Oct 21, 2019, 05:01 AM
pushing the envelope
rcgroupie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
sounds like some lawyers got in there. All about liability.
If you drop down to 15' (or less), take a big lungfull of air, and surface holding breath - when you get to the surface, you'll be dead. So would you fill a tank for some untrained high-schooler who walks into your shop - regardless of lawyers, or not?
Oct 21, 2019, 10:05 AM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Latest on RID

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...s-coming-soon/

Quote:
The agency doesn’t expect to make a decision on remote ID requirements for at least two years after the publication of the NPRM. “There’s probably no schedule that we could ever show that would be fast enough [for implementation of remote ID],” Jay Merkle, director of the FAA’s UAS integration office
Oct 21, 2019, 08:01 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie
Please don't take up SCUBA diving! They have this 'exclusivity' thing where they won't fill your tank unless you have a cert card proving knowledge, training and experience.
Exactly. I don't do SCUBA because there's that licensing requirement. I don't care to be driven out of model aircraft for the same reason.
Oct 22, 2019, 12:25 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Exactly. I don't do SCUBA because there's that licensing requirement. I don't care to be driven out of model aircraft for the same reason.
Well, better stay out of SCUBA, SCCA, skydiving, full-scale aviation, etc.

Funny, though. Nobody in any of those activities seems to complain about the training, testing and certifications required. And none of them seem to suffer from lack of participation.

RStrowe
Oct 22, 2019, 12:34 AM
Registered User
aeronaut999's Avatar

Just don't pen me up in the kiddie pool!


Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
Well, better stay out of SCUBA, SCCA, skydiving, full-scale aviation, etc.

Funny, though. Nobody in any of those activities seems to complain about the training, testing and certifications required. And none of them seem to suffer from lack of participation.

RStrowe
But who would bother with the effort to get scuba certified, if they couldn't dive any deeper than the bottom of the kiddie pool? I'm sure you get my drift. Of the various things apparently headed our way, testing is not the one that bothers me the most, by far.

Maybe testing could be waived for those happy to stay under 400' and within direct visual line of sight of pilot or spotter, while the 400' rule could be waived for those willing to take the test!

Just a pipe dream I know...

Steve
Last edited by aeronaut999; Oct 22, 2019 at 01:05 AM.
Oct 22, 2019, 06:52 AM
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
T3chDad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
Exactly. I don't do SCUBA because there's that licensing requirement. I don't care to be driven out of model aircraft for the same reason.
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day...to ignore or abandon a hobby because of such a trivial requirement. "Driven" out of flying because of FAA registration and a simple online test.
Latest blog entry: Having Fun!!!
Oct 22, 2019, 07:57 AM
pushing the envelope
rcgroupie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
But who would bother with the effort to get scuba certified, if they couldn't dive any deeper than the bottom of the kiddie pool?Steve
Take it from me, if UR drowning in the bottom of the kiddie pool, be sure to ditch the weight belt. Very embarrassing to drown with the weight belt on!
Oct 22, 2019, 10:30 AM
Registered User
kneesaknockin's Avatar
So...Should I sell ALL my R/C equipment now, before the RID implementation. Or wait a couple of years and see how this pans out?

I always thought once the FAA got involved in the RC aeronautics regulations of LOS, its GAME OVER!
Oct 22, 2019, 10:40 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesaknockin
So...Should I sell ALL my R/C equipment now, before the RID implementation. Or wait a couple of years and see how this pans out?

I always thought once the FAA got involved in the RC aeronautics regulations of LOS, its GAME OVER!
I guess it depends where you are, but it may be too late already. I had some 20 very good airplanes that I couldn't sell, even at 10 cents on the dollar. In fact, I had a hard time trying to find someone to give everything to. Now I feel a little guilty because the guy I gave it to is stuck with 20 airplanes, engines, older, but working radios and other items. Most of the stuff I had was given to me because the original owner told me the choice she had (husband died) was for me to take everything or she was going to throw it in the trash. I was also given many planes and equipment from people who never learned how to fly in their clubs.
Their stuff had been sitting around for many years, but all the planes were in very good shape and all were very well built. I still have 6 trainers, radios, flight boxes and assorted engines that I don't know what to do with.

We have two very large and well taken care of flying fields that are deserted or rarely used, mostly quad copter pilots. The county takes good care of the lawn mowing. Don't look too good, at least around here. It used to be like a carnival on the weekend many years ago. And a dozen or so pilots most of the week. Not anymore.
Last edited by fliers1; Oct 22, 2019 at 10:46 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Senate Bill Could Ground Home-Built Drones; No Exceptions For Hobbyists Or Students Acer Life, The Universe, and Politics 31 Mar 20, 2016 04:38 AM
Discussion Some exceptions to FAA rules. RC Man FPV Talk 4 Jan 15, 2016 11:40 AM
Discussion FAA Altitude Limit and Sailplanes CV12Steve Sailplane Talk 21 May 14, 2015 07:49 PM
Discussion New FAA altitude limit--400 feet AeroHeadTW Electric Sailplanes 98 Aug 01, 2014 12:42 AM