Thread Tools
Oct 15, 2019, 12:29 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490
That's the place I grew up 3 blocks from there in the 70's and 80's I remember when military helicopters would hover over the area before the RC field was prior to 1974. I didn't fly RC then was just a teenager used to fly model rockets there watch the planes fly. Later in 1990s I remember the rc club was trying to fight off the golf course I think they had 1 to 2 hearings was the end of it.

If you read this link on OC parks website about the history doesn't even mention the RC club field http://www.ocparks.com/parks/mile/history
I read somewhere the powers-that-be were considering doing away with one of the “3” golf courses there, and taking suggestions from the public on what to do with the available 93-acres. It would be nice to make it an R/C airfield once again, with a MANDATORY 400’ cap, but it’s within the Santa Ana Class Charlie, 5-miles northwest of KSNA.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Oct 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 02:58 PM
The Mad Titan
DC1138's Avatar
Let's suppose the 400 foot limit actually becomes law and neither AMA members or club fields ("AMA" affiliated or not) are given special permissions to ignore that. Is there any legit reason to be an AMA member anymore?
Oct 15, 2019, 03:00 PM
Registered User
exf3bguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
Let's suppose the 400 foot limit actually becomes law and neither AMA members or club fields ("AMA" affiliated or not) are given special permissions to ignore that. Is there any legit reason to be an AMA member anymore?
Would there be any reason to be in the hobby anymore?
Oct 15, 2019, 03:04 PM
The Mad Titan
DC1138's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
Would there be any reason to be in the hobby anymore?
Well, I know that I rarely fly above (or probably near) 400' since the largest planes I fly are electric park-flyer sized foamies (though mainly UMX sized stuff), so this really doesn't affect me or how I enjoy the hobby. But I can certainly see your point for those that routinely fly larger stuff or simply go above 400' on a regular basis.
Oct 15, 2019, 03:11 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
Let's suppose the 400 foot limit actually becomes law and neither AMA members or club fields ("AMA" affiliated or not) are given special permissions to ignore that. Is there any legit reason to be an AMA member anymore?
400 feet in Class G and 400 feet or less as dictated by ATC in controlled airspace already IS the law. No supposing about it. AMA is trying to confuse the issue by telling people they are working on allowances not currently written into the law.

As far as being an AMA member goes, control line, park flier, heli pilots, smaller plane folks, etc. may still find value in being a member.
Oct 15, 2019, 03:13 PM
Registered User
exf3bguy's Avatar
The thing is it will affect you and everyone else. Eliminating large scale, soaring, pattern and just about anything larger then a .40 size model is going to drastically reduce the amount of industry sales. It has the potential to drive some vendors out of business. This will not only slow the development of new products but it will drive prices of what remains available upwards. The end result is fewer choices at higher prices, that my friend will affect everyone.
Oct 15, 2019, 04:13 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
Well, I know that I rarely fly above (or probably near) 400' since the largest planes I fly are electric park-flyer sized foamies (though mainly UMX sized stuff), so this really doesn't affect me or how I enjoy the hobby. But I can certainly see your point for those that routinely fly larger stuff or simply go above 400' on a regular basis.
You can fly what you do under 400' and without AMA if you don't need an improved fixed base field to fly from. If you need such a facility to enjoy the hobby, i.e., a club flying site, then you probably need AMA as they have a grip (site owner liability insurance) on nearly all such venues. I do pay AMA to fly at two such sites though I can abide by staying under 400', but if you don't need AMA to do it I say good for you and carry on.
Oct 15, 2019, 04:25 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
The thing is it will affect you and everyone else. Eliminating large scale, soaring, pattern and just about anything larger then a .40 size model is going to drastically reduce the amount of industry sales. It has the potential to drive some vendors out of business. This will not only slow the development of new products but it will drive prices of what remains available upwards. The end result is fewer choices at higher prices, that my friend will affect everyone.
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Fact is soaring, IMAC and pattern make up a very small segment of our hobby. I've been inside a large hobby retailer's warehouse. The overwhelming majority of it was filled with small models and car stuff. I doubt the looss of our segment of the hobby would have much of an effect on prices overall.
Oct 15, 2019, 04:28 PM
Registered User
aeronaut999's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Fact is soaring, IMAC and pattern make up a very small segment of our hobby. I've been inside a large hobby retailer's warehouse. The overwhelming majority of it was filled with small models and car stuff. I doubt the looss of our segment of the hobby would have much of an effect on prices overall.
Soaring is immune now to the altitude regs, but carry on about the rest.
Oct 15, 2019, 04:35 PM
Registered User
exf3bguy's Avatar
Bill, competition has always driven the development of new products. Digital servos, 2.4ghz, lightweight lipo batteries, advanced composite construction, reliable gas engines etc were all developed through competition. Once that segnent of the hobby is gone it will drive prices up through less sales. Look at how much a gallon of glow fuel costs now or even a glow plug. Downsizing the hobby is going to affect everyone who remains.
Oct 15, 2019, 04:44 PM
Registered User
ace4rc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
Let's suppose the 400 foot limit actually becomes law and neither AMA members or club fields ("AMA" affiliated or not) are given special permissions to ignore that. Is there any legit reason to be an AMA member anymore?
It is law and has been for some time.
Oct 15, 2019, 06:54 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
Bill, competition has always driven the development of new products. Digital servos, 2.4ghz, lightweight lipo batteries, advanced composite construction, reliable gas engines etc were all developed through competition. Once that segnent of the hobby is gone it will drive prices up through less sales. Look at how much a gallon of glow fuel costs now or even a glow plug. Downsizing the hobby is going to affect everyone who remains.
Perhaps. But the huge variety of small electrics have no real relation to what competition planes have generated. They are their own driving force now. They will continue without soaring, pattern, or IMAC.
Oct 15, 2019, 06:54 PM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Soaring is immune now to the altitude regs, but carry on about the rest.
Huh? Soaring is immune? News to me.
Oct 15, 2019, 07:12 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
IfIHadWings's Avatar
Where are the manufacturers, vendors, world-class sites (e.g., Triple Tree), etc. in all this? Are we all solely represented by AMA? Are they fighting this and, if so, are we united or combating this on different fronts? Have they been invited to the table with AMA, FAA, etc.?

The law is written and on the books but many laws have been amended when folks channel their efforts.
Oct 15, 2019, 10:43 PM
Registered User
kell490's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Fact is soaring, IMAC and pattern make up a very small segment of our hobby. I've been inside a large hobby retailer's warehouse. The overwhelming majority of it was filled with small models and car stuff. I doubt the looss of our segment of the hobby would have much of an effect on prices overall.
Most of the guys I see flying at my club are flying large scale 120CC DA engine is typical usually larger. Always a few turbine power jets and EDF jets I fly a Freewing F-15 with 8S battery. The larger scale stuff just easier to see higher up so 400 feet is reached faster then you think. Pylon racers zoom climb like nothing so if this ends up being 400 feet max without exception going impact the industry. Like I said RC clubs normally don't own the land, so they are at the mercy of some local city or county can't allow FAA complaints will be the end of it. I suspect some clubs may have to figure out a way to measure how high 400 feet maybe some sort of IR range finder.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Senate Bill Could Ground Home-Built Drones; No Exceptions For Hobbyists Or Students Acer Life, The Universe, and Politics 31 Mar 20, 2016 04:38 AM
Discussion Some exceptions to FAA rules. RC Man FPV Talk 4 Jan 15, 2016 11:40 AM
Discussion FAA Altitude Limit and Sailplanes CV12Steve Sailplane Talk 21 May 14, 2015 07:49 PM
Discussion New FAA altitude limit--400 feet AeroHeadTW Electric Sailplanes 98 Aug 01, 2014 12:42 AM