This thread is privately moderated by bnrusso, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 09, 2019, 11:37 PM
lovin' early retired in 2000
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

T12 Update JumperTX to Open-TX

This process will update my Jumper T12 from Jumper-Tx to the now REAL Opentx 2.3.x
I am using a Windows 10 AMD PC.
Since Companion2.3 says that one has to have a previous version of opentx at least 2.2 to properly update to the next, this first update is done without using Companion for the WRITE FIRMWARE.

QUESTION: Does one have to first update to 2.3.0 before going to 2.3.1?
ANSWER: No. I went from JUMPERTX 2.2.3 to OPENTX 2.3.1

QUESTION: without companion, where Do I find the 2.3.1 firmware?
ANSWER: I used companion 2.3 to start a new T12 and selected my options and then downloaded the t12 open tx via the download button.
I placed it directly into the empty FIRMWARE folder for the T12 SDcard.

I started a unmodified Jumper T-12, mine has Jumper-tx 2.2.3, to update to OPEN-TX 2.3.1
ASSUMPTION: battery installed that will not drop below 5V as that's the limit for best TX output.

GET READY:
* go to Open-TX.org
under NEWS select the newest (2.3.1 at this time The ones called nightlies is not ready to be released yet)
Bottom of page are download link for Companion 2.3

* download and install Companion2.3

GET SET
* use companion 2.3 to download the latest T-12 OPEN-TX firmware.
...I created a profile for my T12. (NewT12)
...I set settings. (selected RADIO TYPE T-12)
...default stick MODE2
...default channel order AETR THis is default for the multimodule. Even if you will use Spektrum (default TAER) use AETR because the radio will convert the output to TAER automatically when DSM is selected.
...select the build options ppmus lua flex for me.
...DOWNLOAD the new firmware into Companion,
also download the SDcard contents (.zip) to the Download folder.
* from the DOWNLOAD folder EXTRACT all from the SD zip.
this creates a directory card structure that will be copied onto the root of the sd card after some changes. I make changes to the SOUNDS folder to add my extra amber wave files (.wav) rates and motor... I also delete the SOUND folders other than (EN)glish

CONNECT:
* now start the radio in bootloader mode. Hold L and R trims to center and turn on radio.
*connect USB cord from T12 to PC.
radio will read connecting and 2 drives will popup on the screen, One SDcard and one radio memory.
* copy or move the drive showing current SDcard contents for safekeeping or restore. I use a desktop folder called YEARMODTJumperSdbackup.

GO
*copy the recently extracted SD folders to the SDdrive.
*copy the downloaded firmware to the sd card FIRMWARE directory with whatever shortened name you wish to use.
*close companion and disconnect the USB cable

Finally, write the firmware
the screen says " OTX Bootloader - 2.x.x" with "Write Firmware" highlighted.
*Press Enter.
This will take you to the Firmware folder and list all firmware files in the folder.
*Select the file you want to flash and press Enter and the hold down the Enter button to flash the firmware.
When the firmware write is done use EXIT or turn the T12 off and then back on.

OpenTx should boot and you will hear WELCOME and see OPEN-TX on the screen.
Mine did a short repair to the eeprom or format.
*should say welcome to Open-TX

It may take you right to the stick calibration routine. Do that.
Next you may get Throttle warning , a 'FailSafe Not Set" warning, and a "Bad EEProm" warning. Just press Enter on each one. Open TX will format the EEPROM.
In the Radio Setup, (MENU long press) scroll to the bottom of the page and check/set the Stick Mode to 2,
and then change the default RX channel ORD to AETR. Throttle and rudder on the LEFT stick and put Aileron and Elevator on the RIGHT stick.(*1.)
In my case all my models were converted.
check all settings including EXT MPM before flying.

BE ADVISED: in Open-TX the buttons work differently. More intuitive.
RADIO SETUP is long press left arrow
MODEL MENU is long press RIGHT arrow OR long press ENTER
STATS long press UP arrow
TELEMETRY is long press down arrow
when in the page mode (PG X) is highlighted, right arrow forward and left arrow back. UP/DOWN move around the screen.
Use the GO BACK as the RETURN (large button under ENTER) to end within a sub menu.

Thanks to Oldgazer for the instructions to how to write the first from the RADIO not from Companion.
Last edited by bnrusso; Nov 21, 2019 at 11:43 PM. Reason: constant update
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2019, 11:12 AM
FA3PR9WM79
The issue with the T12 is that "real" Companion cannot talk to a T12 that is running the JumperTX firmware.

Because Jumper does not have a JumperTX version of Companion the only way to update the firmware is to download it and then copy it to the Firmware folder on the SD card.

With the card inserted hold the lower stick trim switches IN towards each other and then press and release the power button. If you do this right you will go a screen labeled " OTX Bootloader - 2.2.2" with "Write Firmware" highlighted. Press Enter. This will take you to the Firmware folder and list all firmware files in the folder. Select the file you want to flash and press Enter and the hold down the Enter button to flash the firmware.

What the flash is done, turn the T12 off and then back on. OpenTx should boot and take you right to the stick calibration routine. Do that. Next you may get Throttle warning , a 'FailSafe Not Set" warning, and a "Bad EEProm" warning. Just press Enter on each one. Open TX will format the EEPROM.

Your next step is to go into Radio Setup, scroll to the bottom of the page and set the Stick Mode to 2 (It defaults to 1), and then change the RX channel ORD to AETR. This will put throttle and rudder on the LEFT stick and put Aileron and Elevator on the RIGHT stick.

Now you can connect the radio to your computer and copy the SD Card contents for OpenTX 2.3.1 over to the SD card on the radio. Hint: To make this go a bit faster, when you extract the files from the .ZIP archive, extract them to a new folder on the computer and then go to the SOUNDS folder an delete the non English languages. This way you will have just the English (en) language files.

At this point you should be ready to rock and roll.
Jan 02, 2020, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer
The issue with the T12 is that "real" Companion cannot talk to a T12 that is running the JumperTX firmware.

Because Jumper does not have a JumperTX version of Companion the only way to update the firmware is to download it and then copy it to the Firmware folder on the SD card.

With the card inserted hold the lower stick trim switches IN towards each other and then press and release the power button. If you do this right you will go a screen labeled " OTX Bootloader - 2.2.2" with "Write Firmware" highlighted. Press Enter. This will take you to the Firmware folder and list all firmware files in the folder. Select the file you want to flash and press Enter and the hold down the Enter button to flash the firmware.

What the flash is done, turn the T12 off and then back on. OpenTx should boot and take you right to the stick calibration routine. Do that. Next you may get Throttle warning , a 'FailSafe Not Set" warning, and a "Bad EEProm" warning. Just press Enter on each one. Open TX will format the EEPROM.

Your next step is to go into Radio Setup, scroll to the bottom of the page and set the Stick Mode to 2 (It defaults to 1), and then change the RX channel ORD to AETR. This will put throttle and rudder on the LEFT stick and put Aileron and Elevator on the RIGHT stick.

Now you can connect the radio to your computer and copy the SD Card contents for OpenTX 2.3.1 over to the SD card on the radio. Hint: To make this go a bit faster, when you extract the files from the .ZIP archive, extract them to a new folder on the computer and then go to the SOUNDS folder an delete the non English languages. This way you will have just the English (en) language files.

At this point you should be ready to rock and roll.
That's what I have done .. so easy ! ... ( my t12 was unable to read the new opentx firmware with Companion ) .. I suppose that the next firmware upgrade will be possible with Companion
Jan 02, 2020, 06:58 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanedi
That's what I have done .. so easy ! ... ( my t12 was unable to read the new opentx firmware with Companion ) .. I suppose that the next firmware upgrade will be possible with Companion
Glad you have it updated. Which version did you flash?
Last edited by Oldgazer; Jan 02, 2020 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply