This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 09, 2019, 08:06 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

My Taranis X9D+ Control Assignments

My Taranis X9D Control Assignments for Sailplanes

• LS is replaced with a push-button that activates the Kapow function.
    • When the button is pushed the ailerons go up to their extreme limits, followed by the flaps after a 0.1 second delay to prevent flap-aileron collisions due to the wing's polyhedral break.
    • When the button is released the flaps return to their neutral positions regardless of the flap stick position, in order to prevent them from digging into the ground.
    • If the flap stick was down when the button was pushed, normal flap stick function is restored when the stick is returned to its up position.
    • Down elevator can also be part of the Kapow function and can be varied between the extremes of no down elevator (plane simply drops) to full down elevator (plane dives into the ground). TrmT (the throttle trim switch) is used to adjust the elevator position for Kapow while the Kapow button is held in.

• SE has different functions for winch-launched gliders and electric-powered gliders.
    • When winch-launching a pure gilder,
      • SE↓ selects FM4-Launch mode. When in Launch mode, TrmT adjusts the amount of camber in that flight mode only, and TrmE (the elevator trim switch) adjusts the elevator position in that flight mode only. The flight mode is announced when it is selected.
      • SE↑ selects FM5-Zoom mode. When in Zoom mode, TrmT adjusts the amount of reflex in that flight mode only, and TrmE adjusts the elevator position in that flight mode only. The flight mode is announced when it is selected.
      • SE- selects the glide mode, which is Speed, Cruise, or Thermal, depending upon the position of SA.

• When flying an electric-powered glider SE is the throttle control. The motor must be armed using switch SG.
      • SE↑ is full throttle.
      • SE- is half throttle (needed for ESC programming in the field).
      • SE↓ is motor off.

• SF Selects whether or not the ailerons are raised while the flaps are lowered when landing mode is activated by pulling down the flap stick.
    • SF↑ is flaps down only (FM2-Flaps mode).
    • SF↓ is flaps down and ailerons up (FM3-Crow mode).
    • The flight mode is announced when the flap stick is pulled down.

• SA selects the glide mode.
    • SA↑ selects FM7-Speed mode. When in Speed mode, TrmT adjusts the amount of reflex in that flight mode only, and TrmE (the elevator trim switch) adjusts the elevator position in that flight mode only. The flight mode is announced when it is selected.
    • SA- selects FM0-Cruise mode. When in Cruise mode, TrmT has no function unless the Kapow button is pushed. TrmE adjusts the elevator position in that flight mode only. The flight mode is announced when it is selected.
    • SA↓ selects FM6-Thermal mode. When in Thermal mode, TrmT adjusts the amount of camber in that flight mode only, and TrmE adjusts the elevator position in that flight mode only. The flight mode is announced when it is selected.

• Note: Elevator trim is set to Own Trim in each flight mode but rudder and aileron trims are common to all flight modes except FM1-Calibrate mode, where none of the trims are active.

• SB selects the variometer function.
    • SB↑ selects normal variometer function.
    • SB- selects vario off.
    • SB↓ selects the Shepard Tone Vario.

• The S1 and S2 sliders are replaced with 3-way switches.

• S1
    • S1↑ (my designation) announces the altitude in feet.
    • S1- is altitude announcements off.
    • S1↓ announces the altitude in meters.

• S2
    • S2↑ is elevator high rate.
    • S2- is elevator medium rate.
    • S2↓ is elevator low rate.

• SC selects the aileron rate.
    • SC↑ selects aileron high rate.
    • SC- selects aileron medium rate.
    • SC↓ selects aileron low rate.

• SD selects (and announces) the function of TrmR (the rudder trim switch). See TrmR below.

• SH has multiple functions.
    • Pulling and releasing SH toggles the backlight on and off.
    • Pulling SH with the right stick in the lower-left corner activates FM1-Cal (calibrate) mode, and pulling it again exits Cal mode. This works the same as Cal mode in Mike Shellim's soaring templates. The backlight is always on in Cal mode.
    • Holding SH for one second and releasing while in FM0-Cruise mode activates FM8-SetFail flight mode. Moving the right stick immediately exits that mode.

• SG is the motor arming safety switch. It has no function when flying a winch-launched glider. A special sequence has to be followed to arm the motor, and in addition to holding the throttle at -100% when disabled, it also separately arms and disarms my ESC via CH08.

• RS is my volume control. I use a curve to set the upper and lower volume limits, and the center value.

• TrmR (the rudder trim) has three different functions, selectable by switch SD:

• TrmT (the throttle trim) has eight different functions. Each applies only to the current flight mode.
    • FM0-Cruise With the Kapow button held in TrmT sets the elevator position. Otherwise, no function.
    • FM1-Cal No function.
    • FM2-Flap TrmT sets the amount of elevator compensation.
    • FM3-Crow TrmT sets the amount of elevator compensation.
    • FM4-Launch TrmT sets the amount of trailing edge camber for winch launch.
    • FM5-Zoom TrmT sets the amount of trailing edge reflex for zoom at the top of a winch launch.
    • FM6-Thermal TrmT sets the amount of trailing edge camber.
    • FM7-Speed TrmT sets the amount of trailing edge reflex.
    • FM8-SetFail TrmT sets the flap position for failsafe mode.
I wouldn't expect anyone to adopt my entire setup as is, but I'd be open to describing how to implement particular features if anyone is interested.

Next: My Flight Mode Flowchart

Last edited by Miami Mike; Oct 14, 2019 at 10:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2019, 12:16 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP

Last edited by Miami Mike; Oct 14, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply