Oct 09, 2019, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Boom stuck on mandrel

Hi all.

Yesterday i had my first attempt to roll my own DLG boom.

Today it had cured and i tried to take it of. The first layer of VHS tape was sticking alot to the boom, it took over 1 hour to get it of. Then i tried to get the boom of the mandrel with no luck at all.

I tried to warm it up, cool it down, smash it into the bench, i even tried to crack it in my bench wise. Still nok luck.

The mandrel is a old CF golfclub

What did i do wrong.

The VHS tape is on the right side, i used the inside of the VHS tape
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 05:26 PM
Balsa breaks better
My two carbon fiber sleeve wrapped pool cues told me I did not get enough wax after wrapping the cue in packing tape.
You would think that wood would shrink more than carbon fiber after 1, 3, 5, 9 and 2 days at less than 10F but they are nice decorations in the corner of the shop . . .
Then again, I can't remember which way the steps of the wrap went on but I am thinking if I started at the fat end there are a lot of steps lock against each other holding the carbon firmly in place. Might get ambitious one day and cut one open to see . . . ;>)

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodies Forever
Oct 09, 2019, 05:40 PM
Do you have any double sided tape? It’s amazing the difference it makes when trying to twist something by hand...just spiral wrap it where you are gripping it.
Oct 09, 2019, 06:47 PM
When i did my first they also stuck.
I went through a bunch of different methods before finding one that works.
I ended up using the green stretchy ribbon used for holding plants, trees to the stakes. Wrap this on the mandrel first starting at the small end. Wrap your wet and debulked fabric on this leaving a gap at either end for removal after curing. After the fabric is applied wrap the outer layer with the same type of tape and wipe excess epoxy that oozes out, through the tape. After cured remove the outer tape. You can then pull the inner tape from either side releasing the boom from the mandrel. It will stretch enough to be able to pull it out from the inside. It worked well for me. I also use this tape on the outside when repairing booms. Good luck.
Latest blog entry: DLG Pegs
Oct 09, 2019, 08:07 PM
You have piqued my interest in the Green Stretchy tape. I also have had a boom stick on the mandrel using the VHS Tape and Vaseline method.

Where does one buy GREEN STRETCHY TAPE ???

Thanks

Steve
Oct 09, 2019, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybreeze
You have piqued my interest in the Green Stretchy tape. I also have had a boom stick on the mandrel using the VHS Tape and Vaseline method.

Where does one buy GREEN STRETCHY TAPE ???

Thanks

Steve
Any garden center, home improvement store. I'm also able to use it multiple times no problem. When it gets bad switch it out.
Latest blog entry: DLG Pegs
Oct 10, 2019, 04:09 AM
Thread OP
I use the vaseline and VHS tape method.

I just read that not all VHS tapes can be used. And the outer layer was very Hard to get of

I also used a second hand golfclub and it had some scratches and marks. So i think thats the problem.

I will try to find the green tape here ind denmark
Oct 10, 2019, 05:19 AM
Themadartist
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_117
I use the vaseline and VHS tape method.

I just read that not all VHS tapes can be used. And the outer layer was very Hard to get of

I also used a second hand golfclub and it had some scratches and marks. So i think thats the problem.

I will try to find the green tape here ind denmark
That is very true. The first time I used a different VHS tape it stuck so badly I thought I must have put it on backwards.

A simple test piece will tell you if it's "the right stuff". I personally think it's worth finding the right VHS tape and staying with that method. The green garden tape is substantially thicker than VHS tape, though it does work as has been reported in this thread.

Happy hunting !!!
Oct 10, 2019, 06:21 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
That green tape is , as far as I have been able to find out, intended to be used for tying up plants and tree branches and such in the garden. It might be a bit of a tall order here in DK, as our garden supply stores tend to carry various versions of jute bands and plastic coated steel wire for this instead. But it ought to be possible to find it in German shops, as there are German brands of this on the market, such as: https://meyer-gartenbedarf.de/b2c_de...olle-26-m.html. I've checked the OBI and Bauhaus home pages, and didn't find it, but maybe there is another place in Flensburg that carries it?

I actually did a similar experiment some years back, same type of mandrel, VHS tape and everything, and it worked out just nicely, both the outside VHS tape and the mandrel released without issues. I did use a rather large amount of vaseline on the mandrel, though......in fact probably too much, as the layup slipped and rotated a bit at the thin end, causing a bit of a wrinkle about 5cm in from the end. Tube was still usable, I just had to go with the larger end of it and cut off the thin end. Sadly never finished the fuse though.....
Last edited by DKChris; Oct 10, 2019 at 06:35 AM.
Oct 10, 2019, 06:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris
That green tape is , as far as I have been able to find out, intended to be used for tying up plants and tree branches and such in the garden. It might be a bit of a tall order here in DK, as our garden supply stores tend to carry various versions of jute bands and plastic coated steel wire for this instead. But it ought to be possible to find it in German shops, as there are German brands of this on the market, such as: https://meyer-gartenbedarf.de/b2c_de...olle-26-m.html. I've checked the OBI and Bauhaus home pages, and didn't find it, but maybe there is another place in Flensburg that carries it?

I actually did a similar experiment some years back, same type of mandrel, VHS tape and everything, and it worked out just nicely, both the outside VHS tape and the mandrel released without issues. I did use a rather large amount of vaseline on the mandrel, though......in fact probably too much, as the layup slipped and rotated a bit at the thin end, causing a bit of a wrinkle about 5cm in from the end. Tube was still usable, I just had to go with the larger end of it and cut off the thin end. Sadly never finished the fuse though.....
I actualy just found the tape in DK its called "pode tape"

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk
Oct 10, 2019, 07:38 AM
Build and Fly
I also use the green tape on the outside, plus wax and vaseline on the inside. I still had some stick-ups, and realized on the most recent one that the last 150mm or so of my golf shaft are not tapered, and that's where it's still sticking. I plan to just use the tapered part the next time I make a boom, and anticipate that it will release much easier.

Lots of good tips in this thread! Sounds like all of us have had to learn by trial and error.
Oct 10, 2019, 08:01 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
So carbon has a negative temperature coefficient. So make it really cold and maybe you'll have better luck getting it off.

I have not tried the green tape but I do know this tape works wonders:
It's Shrink Tape, first item on this page:
http://cstsales.com/a-vacuum-supplies-shrink-flash.html

Not sure of availability in the great country of Denmark.
Curtis
Oct 10, 2019, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
So carbon has a negative temperature coefficient. So make it really cold and maybe you'll have better luck getting it off.

I have not tried the green tape but I do know this tape works wonders:
It's Shrink Tape, first item on this page:
http://cstsales.com/a-vacuum-supplies-shrink-flash.html

Not sure of availability in the great country of Denmark.
Curtis
Ok i Will try to put it in the freezer. Im actualy following your video, that i bought years ago. It is great help

Oct 10, 2019, 09:35 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_117
I actualy just found the tape in DK its called "pode tape"

Fair enough; The green "Pode Tape" (Grafting tape) I've been able to find seemed a fair bit thinner than the product our american friends mention, kind of like a thick version of Vitawrap (clingfoil brand), so I didn't believe it to be the right thing.
On the other hand there's a good chance it's PE (PE is nearly impossible to get most glue types to stick to), which i've read in here that some use, in the shape of strips they cut from something like thin PE vapor barrier (Dampspærre) for building. So maybe this could be just the right thing. It's both thin, stretchable and (if it is PE?) it should resist adhesion of the epoxy....?

Do note that there also exists a kind of grafting tape that contains wax. The ones I've found were white. It's described as "waterproof ", but allows the plant to "breathe" ; While the idea of the wax as a release agent could tend to spawn ideas, I have no clue how this would behave with epoxy.

PS: If you happen to fly from Haderslev MFK, you may know Ulrich, a pal of mine who used to fly from Sønderborg MFK? I hope he's found some good flying buddies there......Great guy.
Last edited by DKChris; Oct 10, 2019 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply