Oct 09, 2019, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Zero wanna be

I just finished this Zero look-a-like from Dollar Tree foam. I peeled the paper off and painted it olive water based paint from Hobby Lobby (not Hobby Lobby RC store). Then I covered it with clear "Duck" tape to add a little strength and make it slipperier. It has a 1212 1400 Kv motor fro Value Hobby and a 1300 mah lipo in it. The span is 38" and weighs around 18 ounces RTF. I used the non-foaming Gorilla for most of the gluing. It has a little dihedral about 1".Unfortunately I can't fly right now due to an operation I had on one eye. It is at this point my right eye is very blurry. I'll post a couple of pictures
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2019, 04:53 PM
Flying Models for 57 years!
Nice, I like the ZERO
Oct 10, 2019, 06:24 AM
Thread OP

Zero

Thanks Sixter. I may ask one of our "pro's" from our club to fly it for me. I don't know how long it will take for my vision to clear up. I'm told at least another month. UGH! I'm anxious to see the little bird it fly. RCnutt
Oct 10, 2019, 07:47 PM
Flying Models for 57 years!
Hope it goes well, keep us Posted! And, Good luck with your vision
Oct 11, 2019, 08:29 AM
Thread OP

Zero

I did a little experimenting with the hinges. They are made of sort of heavy brown paper I cut from a shopping bag. I used over and under style that were used in control line models. They go all the way across. I used Elmer's craft bond extra strength glue to stick on the paper pieces. . This glue is easy to use as it is like a stick like a large chap stick . It dries to the touch fairly fast and seems to hold well. It doesn't take very long to do. And since there is the clear "Duck" tape will help to hold them down. RCNutt
Oct 11, 2019, 10:08 AM
looks good. pardon my newbee lack of knowledge though. when you say dollar tree foam are you talking about the foam board sheets that have a paper like covering in the school supply section?
Oct 11, 2019, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpeters
looks good. pardon my newbee lack of knowledge though. when you say dollar tree foam are you talking about the foam board sheets that have a paper like covering in the school supply section?
Yes thats what people mean by dollar tree foam, DTF for short. In Canada we have the Elmers brand.
Oct 11, 2019, 06:02 PM
Greediest Suer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutt
I did a little experimenting with the hinges. They are made of sort of heavy brown paper I cut from a shopping bag. I used over and under style that were used in control line models. They go all the way across. I used Elmer's craft bond extra strength glue to stick on the paper pieces. . This glue is easy to use as it is like a stick like a large chap stick . It dries to the touch fairly fast and seems to hold well. It doesn't take very long to do. And since there is the clear "Duck" tape will help to hold them down. RCNutt
I recall my dad using brown paper bags for hinges in the 70's. He would cut them in strips and soak them some sort of oil to waterproof them and then sew them on for redundancy. I would take him hours to make a rudder hinge. I can make one in a few minutes with Duck tape, bit I'll have to admit that his looked better.

I hope your eye clears up so you can fly the Zero. It should be fun at that size and weight.

Quick Reply