Nov 19, 2019, 01:11 PM
mutski
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
I like the looks of that Tmotor. You've flown it on this airframe?
I have been using the the T-Motor F20 II 1408 3250Kv, an apc-4-1x4-1 prop and a 2S 3200 kv lithium ion pack with no problems.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski
I have been using the the T-Motor F20 II 1408 3250Kv, an apc-4-1x4-1 prop and a 2S 3200 kv lithium ion pack with no problems.
Perfect. I have a bunch of those nice APC pylon props. Thanks.
Nov 19, 2019, 01:20 PM

Eleven throws?

What throws are people setting in manual mode on the elevons?
Nov 19, 2019, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
I like the looks of that Tmotor. You've flown it on this airframe?
Yes². With this frame buddy. Same mounting hole, so just replaced it without any mod.
Nov 19, 2019, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornface13
PNP comes with 3x5x3 tri prop and a 5x5 bi prop
Sorry my bad.
Nov 20, 2019, 04:33 AM
mutski
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWiskow
What throws are people setting in manual mode on the elevons?
I have 2 mm reflex, 6 mm up, 7 mm down. I also set the board pitch angle in iNav to lift the nose 3 degrees.
Nov 21, 2019, 11:17 AM
mutski
I finally got to fly the Dart 250 without a 20 mph wind. What a pleasure - smooth as silk. I made several flights fooling with the CG, and got 43 minutes of fly time with my 2S 3200 mah lithium ion pack. I wasn't judicious with the throttle, I'm sure I could easily have flown an hour.

Has anyone achieved stable inverted flight? I have been having trouble keeping the nose up. I fly inverted, the nose sinks, and I wind up flying out with a half loop. I shifted the battery back 4-5 mm from the balance point for the CG marks, and it got a little better. To fly inverted, it seems I should move the CG further aft, but I'm afraid it will get difficult to control. Next time I fly, I think I'll put the CG back on the marks and see if speed is the answer.

It's much easier to go inverted in Horizon mode than in Acro mode. Also, when I fly upright and switch from Acro to Horizon, the nose drops a couple of degrees. The board pitch angle in iNav is set to raise the nose 4 degrees. I imagine I should raise it a couple of degrees more if the nose falls in Horizon mode, but that would make flying inverted even harder. Anyone have more experience with these puzzles?

Here are some scenes from today's flights. You'll see what I mean with the nose dropping while inverted. I had similar problems with the Nano Goblin, solved with more throttle while inverted. Maybe I need to fly 3S.

Dart clips Nov 20 2019 music (4 min 6 sec)
Nov 21, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote:
I
Has anyone achieved stable inverted flight? I have been having trouble keeping the nose up. I fly inverted, the nose sinks, and I wind up flying out with a half loop. I shifted the battery back 4-5 mm from the balance point for the CG marks, and it got a little better. To fly inverted, it seems I should move the CG further aft, but I'm afraid it will get difficult to control. Next time I fly, I think I'll put the CG back on the marks and see if speed is the answer.
I had similar problems with the Nano Goblin, solved with more throttle while inverted. Maybe I need to fly 3S.
]
The Dart 25G's wing profile is not symmetrical so while inverted wing's profile will generate down-force/down lift in it's center of pressure. Ideally for a wing - center of pressure should be the same as CG, but for stability reasons, CG is not there. While inverted plane needs to be flown at higher alpha - respective for the up-part of the wing when inverted ... and of course for generating necessary lift higher speed is needed.

I'm not sure i've managed to make any sense in my explanation in English ... but i hope some of the readers will understand what i meant!

If the wing would have had symmetrical profile/air-foil, wing would have been able to generate needed lift to keep the plane afloat even when the plane would have been flown inverted, at almost same speed as if it would have been flown in normal flight attitude - like any 3D capable aircraft does. However, do note that a 3D capable aircraft do have few degrees offset from the plane horizontal axis.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:03 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
For dialing in the horizon mode, I like to put the pitch and roll offsets on the OSD, and fly in manual or acro mode so it's flying level and maintaining altitude pretty good. Fly like that for a bit and note the offsets on the OSD, then later go and adjust the board offsets in the configurator accordingly. I can usually get it near perfect after just one flight and adjustment like that.

If you really want to get serious, you can use the "adjustments" feature in iNav and some creative mixing in OpenTX to use the spare trims on your radio if you have them, or even re-purpose the normal trims since you really shouldn't touch them with inav, to adjust the board offsets while you fly. Here's a good place to start reading if you want to try and tackle this one... lol https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/b...Adjustments.md
Nov 21, 2019, 03:58 PM
mutski
I initially had the board pitch adjustment on the S1 knob, but I took it off because the value was drifting without me turning the knob. I wonder it I could put it on a 3-position switch instead.
Nov 21, 2019, 04:06 PM
Quote:
I initially had the board pitch adjustment on the S1 knob, but I took it off because the value was drifting without me turning the knob. I wonder it I could put it on a 3-position switch instead.
Yes you can use a 3pos switch
Nov 21, 2019, 04:22 PM
Cruising at 399ft AGL
A 3-pos switch works, or if you're using OpenTX you can re-purpose the trims (or use extra ones if you have them). Basically you'll want to disable the trim in your flight modes if you're going to re-purpose one, then set up logic switches for each position of the trim. Once that's done, you can then set a position for the aux channel with MAX as the source, set the weight you want (-100, 0, 100 for each position), and assign each one to one of the logic switches accordingly. This page goes into detail https://rc-soar.com/opentx/setups/ov...rims/index.htm

I like that idea, so you could just use the pitch and roll trims on the radio to trim the board level as you needed. Seems intuitive to me! lol
Nov 21, 2019, 04:24 PM
Does this fly that much differently than a Nano Goblin? (in my case it would be fun proximity FPV, not distance or speed records). It seems comparable. I have Dart Kit version coming in tomorrow, thinking about going with this and leaving the new NG I squirreled away months ago in the box for now. I get that that NG probably has the edge on efficiency, but for bashing around a field and hitting gaps, this might be a better choice (and easier to replace since the NG goes out of stock so often and costs much more).
Nov 21, 2019, 06:19 PM

Removed Ko-pilot

I removed kopilot and the VC400 and went with inav on the F44 wing. I really didn't like the highly restricted stabailised mode.

My INAV build missed 250 by 1 gram with an 850 3S but could make it easily with a smaller receiver and using an F411-wse.

Fly's much better now as I fly fpv in air mode. In fact besides air mode & the osd I don't use much of inav at all. I have found RTH on failsafe causes more problems than it solves when flying proximity through trees etc. I have had more than one occasion on failsafe it has climbed or turned straight into a tree, Just easier to drop, go for a walk and pick it up.

So maybe we need INAV lite not ko-pilot lite?
Nov 21, 2019, 10:10 PM
I need a good idea for a beefier motor. I am having a very hard time finding a tiny 3-4s capable motor that can handle 5 inch propellers. This one quite on me today running 4s with a 5050 shortly after launching.

Quick Reply