Oct 10, 2019, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longone
I can buy a receiver with telemetry now. If I have the receiver then I would just need to set an alarm so I do not get to high.
Would the SAFE units with virtual fence be the same as geofencing. They keep the "plane X distance from you.

I would hope since only LOS is legit the operator would be obstacle avoidance.

I would hold off on buying much radio equipment for awhile till some of this gets settled.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I can see how some radio systems could end up illegal, just like a 23 channel CB radio. New receiver/transmitter combos could end up with telemetry and geofencing built in, along with technology similar to DJI's Air Sense. So, fixed wings will be boxed in at 400' or less, with a maximum distance of 1,600'. That's not good for gliders, turbines, or anything large scale.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2019, 02:41 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie
Add to that testing requirements and yielding of our airspace to damazon, fedex, blah

Look what is happening in CA - the utopian state where they have shut down power to huge areas of land because:
1. The enviros won't let anybody clear choking, overgrown brush
2. The enviros won't let anybody build a dam to hold water
3. The enviros route 1/3 of sacramento delta water to save a subspecies of smelt from imagined danger
4. The enviros are mandating electric only vehicles
5. Power companies are limiting liability in huge statewide brushy areas by shutting off power

So the next massive fire will wipe out tesla owners who can't charge their cars to flee.

We really need to petition congress to kick the FAA to the curb before they destroy our hobby, narrowly defining constraints on their testing and power.

Well I asked the only authority ( pretty well known expert ) I know on what's coming and here's the response I got. Now using California as a example is really stretching things we all know there in a world that most of us don't even give a crap about.
Mike
Oct 11, 2019, 06:51 AM
pushing the envelope
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
"Our" airspace? Sorry, no such thing.
So you ask the nanny state every time you want to walk down the sidewalk?
Oct 11, 2019, 06:53 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
Well I asked the only authority ( pretty well known expert ) I know on what's coming and here's the response I got. Now using California as a example is really stretching things we all know there in a world that most of us don't even give a crap about.
Mike
But it is not really a far stretch.

Cali wants "green" living , including electric cars. It the enviro-people had their way, everyone would be forced to drive electric.

Our lawsuit happy country sued a utility company for starting a wild fire (still not convinced they should have been sued) and basically bankrupted them.

Utility company protects their assets by mitigating a future wild fire with blackouts

Going back to the top, those with electric cars are screwed!!
Oct 11, 2019, 07:16 AM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105

Cali wants "green" living , including electric cars. It the enviro-people had their way, everyone would be forced to drive electric.

Our lawsuit happy country sued a utility company for starting a wild fire (still not convinced they should have been sued) and basically bankrupted them.

Utility company protects their assets by mitigating a future wild fire with blackouts

And you forgot to add that the very same people that sued them for liability are now the same ones complaining that the company is taking steps to prevent it from happening again.
Oct 11, 2019, 07:20 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
And you forgot to add that the very same people that sued them for liability are now the same ones complaining that the company is taking steps to prevent it from happening again.
Yeah, Ironic...... "Law of unintended consequences"
Oct 11, 2019, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105

California is in a fantasy world all there own and out of touch with reality. Whatever to do has no effect on me whatsoever. This is why I moved to Texas from New York 45 years ago.

Mike
Oct 11, 2019, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
LOL. Funny how that works.

Mike
Oct 11, 2019, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
California is in a fantasy world all there own and out of touch with reality. Whatever to do has no effect on me whatsoever. This is why I moved to Texas from New York 45 years ago.

Mike
NY is going down the same path. You got out when things were good here.
Oct 11, 2019, 07:49 AM
(accidental duplicate)
Oct 11, 2019, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I can see how some radio systems could end up illegal, just like a 23 channel CB radio. New receiver/transmitter combos could end up with telemetry and geofencing built in, along with technology similar to DJI's Air Sense. So, fixed wings will be boxed in at 400' or less, with a maximum distance of 1,600'. That's not good for gliders, turbines, or anything large scale.
Not going to happen.

Anyway, if you imagined that this WOULD somehow happen, wouldn't you want to buy a new radio now and NOT later?

This thread has gone off the rails.
Oct 11, 2019, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Not going to happen.

Anyway, if you imagined that this WOULD somehow happen, wouldn't you want to buy a new radio now and NOT later?

This thread has gone off the rails.
FCC changes radio standards many times. narrowed banded FM to 25 Kc channels then 12.5 Kc channels and the latest I know of is going digital. I would try to wait to buy a new receiver in case the laws is made that a alarm must be on the system for over 400 foot. I could buy one now that does that, just lot more money. Yes I should get out of the hobby if I can not afford the extra $50. I vote for later to make sure the equipment can handle new rules

The CA fires and power outages. Just like the overdressed woman who stands up in the meeting and demands that a cell tower is not built because it would degrade her view and lower her house value. She will be the first at the office the next morning demanding something has to be done because of poor cell phone service at her house

I am glad the annual Christmas layoffs got me. Instead of 800 hours of overtime, I got time to play with toys.
Oct 11, 2019, 12:39 PM
pushing the envelope
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgroupie
To clarify, this thread is about tier and testing reg recommendations, not about what org. does the testing.

I'm thinking tier 0 would be no test, no license, no registration and 500g weight limit at some reasonable altitude.
Tier 1 might be 400' in class G with appropriate gear and knowledge.
Tier 2 might be limited use of camera 'drones' by realtors etc. to photograph buildings for sale, but NOT by pilots offering services to realtors - defining that as 'commercial' use. It is absurd that any kid off the street can fly a drone and take pics whereas an adult realtor cannot. DUH.
Tier 3 would be something like gliders and such to 2K' with permanent airspace allocations, giving way to piloted, but NOT giving way to damazon drones etc.
Operation of a transmitter should be more than sufficient for notification of RC craft in the area, and is already regulated/authorized by the FCC. If a gen. aviation pilot is dumb enough to fly below 400' in class G they should be required to monitor allowable RC frequencies. Gliders at 2K' might reasonably be required to have a transponder or similar.
The current system of regulation by waiver is the most moronic possible way to administer the law, and rulings can be arbitrary depending on the individuals involved with the approval process. It lends itself to bribes and corruption as we have seen in the MAX debacle.
Back on track here.
Thinking tier 4 might be for RC turbines. Designated remote areas and/or events with notification.
Anybody with ideas on this please post.
Oct 12, 2019, 03:02 PM
pushing the envelope
Thread OP
Another issue is commercial delivery drones like damazon. They claim to be able to see and avoid telephone wires and etc. so they should be able to and thus be responsible for avoiding hobby craft. I'm guessing fishing line , kite strings, even clothes lines are going to be an issue.
Come spring, there usually is a pair of nesting blackbirds in the back yard. They go after owls, hawks, and even me on occasion. An EMT buddy said one hit a woman in the forehead and knocked her out. They are def. much faster and more agile than some big damazon drone. My bet is on the blackbird.

Quick Reply